Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Please HELP! GeForce 3 or Radeon 8400?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-15-01, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide between (CardExpert / Gainward) GeForce 3 and Radeon 8500. Can anyone tell if one is actually "better" ? I guess I really want te faster, please help!
Old 10-15-01, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want fastest, then consider that with the newly released GeForce 3 Ti 500, nVIDIA once again holds the speed crown (based on raw specs).
Old 10-15-01, 07:43 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Todd B.
If you want fastest, then consider that with the newly released GeForce 3 Ti 500, nVIDIA once again holds the speed crown (based on raw specs).
While I agree that they are just a wee bit faster (but not by much) over the 8500, I would say go with the 8500 as it has a superior picture quality and comes with a few more features to give you that better picture quality. If you use your computer to watch DVD's, you will notice a difference with ATI over NVIDIA. If you just play games and raw speed is all you're after, can't go wrong with NVIDIA and their Detonator drivers. I would probably get an 8500 today if I was in the market for a new card.
Old 10-15-01, 10:30 AM
Mod Emeritus

I'd also say go with the 8500. Check out this review:
http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic...814/index.html
Old 10-15-01, 12:29 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would just warn you that ATI is one of the worst software/driver update companies around. So if every feature and compatibility you need today is not provided with the existing software, don't count on ever getting it. Don't rely on promises from them.
Old 10-15-01, 09:03 PM

Re: Please HELP! GeForce 3 or Radeon 8400?

Originally posted by ddives:
[B]I am trying to decide between GeForce 3 and Radeon 8500. Can anyone tell if one is actually "better" ? I guess I really want (to be) faster, please help!

When comparing speeds by looking at benchmarks, Tom's hardware points out to be careful. He suggests that nVidia seems to have a bit more zest in optimizing the product for benchmarks as opposed to performance that ATI has done.

"""All in all NVIDIA's Detonator 4 release leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What I don't like is that the new driver shows its biggest improvements in the typical benchmarking programs, such as 3DMark2001, Quake3 or AquaMark. Rarely used game benchmarks see only little or no gain, while Giants is even losing out considerably. I leave it up to you to make a rhyme on that. Detonator 4 is a good thing for most owners of NVIDIA based cards, but I challenge the choice of its release date as well as the fact that at least one (new!) game does better with the old driver.""" excerpt from Tom's Hardware website
Old 10-15-01, 11:01 PM

I'm getting a 8500, just for the visual quality, and overall I think the preformance is better. I had a chance to bench one and it looked great. I have a Geforce 3 now. Honesty, I wouldn't waste my money on the TI500, it's basically an overclocked original G3.

The price is great for all the features it has. I used to be an avid 3dfx user. Then, when they died there was really nothing but a Geforce to consider. I am ready to refesh my following

Last edited by Bigbot; 10-15-01 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-16-01, 03:16 PM

For 3D games, an nVidia GeForce3 is the best. the new Ti 500 has 3D textures (no it is not bump mapping) and buffer shadow, it looks very promising.

I had an ATI before and the picture quality was ugly, the drivers support was awfull and they lied about the specs of the card (an "ATI 3D Xpression powered by 3D Rage" has NO 3D hardware acceleration). But I think they are better now.

I look at my current Matrox card and wonder if I should change it... Upgrade for a nice GeForce3 for 3D games or keep the unmatched 2D quality of Matrox (I watch DVDs on my PC...)
Old 10-16-01, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it depends. I think that if you get a deal on the 8500(dell had a deal running with their 20-25% off sales i think) it might be worth it.

As mentioned i do believe that the Geforce 3 will be better at games although the ATI will be good also.

as X said ATI has always been slower at improving drivers (when they even do it) whereas Nvidia is great at driver improvements.

personally I would lean towards the nvidia. the driver support of ATI still worries me a bit.
Old 10-16-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tom has his review of the Radeon 8500 up here.

Apparently, as usual, ATI has fallen down on the drivers. Support for SmoothVision (TM), ATI's multi-sampling AA technology is entirely non-existent at this point. XP drivers are slower than their Win9x, Win2K counterparts. There are "issues" with AMD based systems, though I suppose that shouldn't be surprising given ATI's "special" relationship with Intel.

nVidia is widely regarded as having one of the finest teams of driver developers around, though some conspiracy-minded folks will accuse them of sandbagging. ATI, has historically been quite wretched in this department, but as they've watched nVidia zoom by them in the market place, they publicly committed themselves to improving their drivers.

If you buy the Radeon 8500, make sure it's from a place that has a good return policy. If it doesn't live up to your expectations now, return it. It'll likely be quite a few months before the drivers are truely mature and you can buy it then, probably for much less.
Old 10-17-01, 05:58 AM
wiz

Originally posted by X
I would just warn you that ATI is one of the worst software/driver update companies around. So if every feature and compatibility you need today is not provided with the existing software, don't count on ever getting it. Don't rely on promises from them.
While this used to be true, in the last 12 months ATI has gotten a new Driver team. Their Win2k drivers are above and beyond the drivers they used to make. Their Win98 and WinME drivers are always going to be good, but their Win2k and WinXP drivers are a lot better now, and they do introduce new stuff in their drivers now. I have a friend that has a Radeon and is running Win2k and WinXP, he informs me (a GF2 Ultra user) of all the new stuff he gets with every driver update and how fast it is.
Old 10-17-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anand just released the new benches on the 8500 vs. GeForce. They didn't perform nearly up to their potential, mainly because of drivers. I was kind of disappointed.

Of course, he did not compare picture quality because there's no sure fire way to test that, purely opinion.

www.anandtech.com
Old 10-18-01, 11:43 PM

Re: Please HELP! GeForce 3 or Radeon 8400?

Originally posted by ddives
I am trying to decide between (CardExpert / Gainward) GeForce 3 and Radeon 8500. Can anyone tell if one is actually "better" ? I guess I really want te faster, please help!
what do you use your machine for?

are you a gamer?

what's your current setup (cpu type and speed)?
Old 10-23-01, 03:04 AM

Right now I've got an Intel 478 P4 1.7 Ghz, 256 MB DDR. I am really a gamer, I guess a speed freak, really wanting the highest benchmark scores, like horsepower.