TV/Video Out Cards

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

TV/Video Out Cards

Old 10-10-01, 02:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TV/Video Out Cards

Hello,
I can't find any tv/video out cards on the web. I don't want to buy a new video card if I can help it. I need something so I can out put my DVDs to my TV. Thanks.
Old 10-10-01, 02:36 PM

If I read your post right, you are loooking for a card that is SPECIFICALLY a TV/Video out card - personally, I've never heard of such a card - but I might be wrong.

Any reason why you wouldn't want to change you vid card? The reason I ask is that generally vid cards come with or without the option depending on manufacturer. I am also assuming that you're currently watching DVD's on your PC based on your desire to watch them on TV. In which case, I would definitely suggest upgrading to a card that supports TV/Video out.

Also, keep in mind that the picture you do get when using this kind of a connection is not necessarily as good as the one you would get with a standalone DVD player. I can't see your DVD picture on your PC monitor, but I am sure it looks crisp and clean - this is due to the higher resolution your monitor has compared to the resolution of your television set. Your set will NOT look as good as your PC screen due to the resolution as well as the analog connection you will make from the TV/Vid out on the card. It will look better with a standalone player connected directly to the set (still, not as good as the PC monitor, but you have no control over that aside from buying a difital TV/Monitor)

I was going to go the same route as you are looking to do a few years ago (DVD on the PC and jack that to my TV) but I opted to forego the DVD-Rom drive, and buy a standalone for my (then) budding HT setup - and I'm extremely glad I did. If price is a concern, you'll just have to weigh the costs of a standalone player versus the cost of a new card with TV/Vid out - and depending on the card, the price might not be all that different between the two.

I hope these insights help you out!
Old 10-10-01, 02:57 PM
Cool New Member

dvddude23,
Thanks for the info. I have posted this a few times in different areas with not much help so I skimped this time on the details. I have a stand-alone player that I bought a few years ago because it has all regions and is PAL/NTSC. I didn't realize that I would need a PAL tv to watch these DVDs. Well, now I just want to be able to watch those on my TV. I don't care about NTSC discs as I can use my stand-alone player.

I have heard of the Malata DVD player that plays all discs on any TV. I don't know what the quality is and if it isn't any better than this option, I would rather go this cheaper route.

My biggest thing is if the new video/tv card will output the video of a PAL disc. I heard that the Malata DVD player decodes the mpeg-2 coding and then just outputs it to whatever signal your TV is. It was a "mini computer" basically. If getting a new video card will do the same and in about the same quality, It might be cheaper. Otherwise I might just get the Malata. I have read about setting that one up though and it seems kind of difficult.
Old 10-11-01, 12:20 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Or you could go with a video capture card, like WinTV, I am pretty sure that they have video out, but I would go with the standalone. Check out www.vcdhelper.com, to help you convert any movies to work on the new standalone player.
Old 10-13-01, 12:35 AM
Banned

I picked up an ATI All-In-Wonder 128 graphics card for $119.99, and am quite pleased with it ...

It has a TV / Video out ...