Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recording, movie industries sue Napster progeny

http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/industr...idg/index.html

if they win, no more morpheus
Old 10-08-01, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Recording, movie industries sue Napster progeny

The only problem is morpheus is self sustaining, all they can do is shut down the company that made the software.

Dave
Originally posted by Hero

if they win, no more morpheus
Old 10-08-01, 10:19 AM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Re: Recording, movie industries sue Napster progeny

Originally posted by Dave99
The only problem is morpheus is self sustaining, all they can do is shut down the company that made the software.

Dave

That would be the first step. If they were to continue after that, they would have to go after individual users. This would be a big PR risk though.
Old 10-08-01, 03:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Recording, movie industries sue Napster progeny

Originally posted by Dead

That would be the first step. If they were to continue after that, they would have to go after individual users. This would be a big PR risk though.
Going after individuals would cost a lot of money and would be far from being easy. They would have to deal with a lot of ISPs (that may or may not cooperate) from people all over the world.
Old 10-08-01, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Recording, movie industries sue Napster progeny

Originally posted by Real Boba Fett
Going after individuals would cost a lot of money and would be far from being easy. They would have to deal with a lot of ISPs (that may or may not cooperate) from people all over the world.
The newest laws passed lets them recoup costs of prosecution and investigation from the guilty party. It is the PR problem that holds them back as everyone knows attacking your customers can result in a popular backlash.

As for the ease of going after individuals, there are "bounty" hunter companies that do just that in return for the "bounty" offered by the RIAA and its members. That is the expensive part of it all, so they need to pass more laws like SSSCA to help augment the DMCA in prosecuting and recovering all the costs. If processed under SSSCA's RICO provision, you could technically lose your domicile. There's a lot of incentive for law enforcement because while they can't immediately directly benefit from seized property, such property can be sold and its proceeds go towards their law enforcement retirement fund. Similarly, some of the seized property may be "borrowed" for use by police officers.
Old 10-08-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
they supposedly killed napster too, but I'm still using it to get mp3's of stuff I bought on tape before I got a cd player
Old 10-08-01, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are Kazaa & Morpheus the same program? Are they both peer-to-peer services? If not, then who's running their main servers? Where are these servers located? If they're not located in the US, how can they file suit against it? I use kazaa occasionally but have never used morpheus.

Also is napster still operating? Are their servers still up?
Old 10-09-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think kazaa and morpheus use the same network. It is a peer-to peer service, there is no central listing server. Some members on the network act as supernodes, which handles the directory searches. The RIAA is suing the companies which make and distribute the software.

Dave
Originally posted by huzefa
Are Kazaa & Morpheus the same program? Are they both peer-to-peer services? If not, then who's running their main servers? Where are these servers located? If they're not located in the US, how can they file suit against it? I use kazaa occasionally but have never used morpheus.

Old 10-09-01, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the official servers limit the songs with a file name filter, but the unofficial servers work fine

Originally posted by huzefa

Old 10-10-01, 12:48 PM

So what are ur opinion on RIAA's efforts? Do you think they'll succeed their ultimate goal? At least make finding desired mp3's and other medial files much more difficult?
Old 10-10-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Depends on how you define difficult. For fairly advanced people, no way, for internet newbies probably. There are just to many file sharing networks, newsgroups, ftp and many people making peer to peer software. Look at software like directconnect, you can make private napster type of groups, where only authorized people are allowed to access. I dabble around with one that has close to a terabyte of data online most of the time, with a couple of hundred users, yet the RIAA isn't likely to get in to even see who or what is being traded around.

Dave
Originally posted by Hero
So what are ur opinion on RIAA's efforts? Do you think they'll succeed their ultimate goal? At least make finding desired mp3's and other medial files much more difficult?
Old 10-10-01, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dabble around with one that has close to a terabyte of data online most of the time, with a couple of hundred users, yet the RIAA isn't likely to get in to even see who or what is being traded around. Dave [/B]
The key here is "...couple of hundred users...." because at that point, the RIAA would have won. If there are only a number of private networks of several hundred users each, the rest of the world's casual copying of most titles will have been sufficiently squelched. And the chances of a private network getting larger than several hundred is small because once there gets to be "too many members" there could be admitted to the membership someone who gets "angsty angry jealousy revengy" and turns the people in to the RIAA, MPAA, or SFWA once they have copied their fill.

Also, there is this problem of "do gooders" who pretend to be good uploaders who try to worm their way into confidence so that they can gather evidence to turn you in. I've already had to deal with this type of problem in my area where there is an anime group that likes to turn people in when they gather enough information (Jekyll vs Hyde behaviour).

Last edited by Startide; 10-10-01 at 03:23 PM.
Old 10-10-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good points Startide, however overall it just seems like there are to many networks, far to many users and methods of distribution to enforce effectively. Data will still travel from one group to another, just a little bit slower than a big network like napster, as most users have more than 1 method of getting material.

Dave
Old 10-10-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: Recording, movie industries sue Napster progeny

Dave
And have Micro$oft make a patch for Windows that shuts down peer to peer clients. Sure, some enterprising people will develop patches with varying degrees of success, but it will shut things down for all intents and purposes.

I'm sure M$ would do it, because they wanted to drop support for .mp3 files altogether, until public pressure changed their minds.
Old 10-10-01, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: Recording, movie industries sue Napster progeny

There are too many legitimate uses for P2P for MS to shut down. I'm not even sure there would be an effective way to do this, and windows wouldn't know what is peer to peer vs other networking apps.

Dave
Originally posted by Jason

And have Micro$oft make a patch for Windows that shuts down peer to peer clients. Sure, some enterprising people will develop patches with varying degrees of success, but it will shut things down for all intents and purposes.

I'm sure M$ would do it, because they wanted to drop support for .mp3 files altogether, until public pressure changed their minds.