Reload this Page >

Every 5 Days, WinME crashes... why?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-04-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PC is an eMachines 700irx(yes I know no eMachine or WinME jokes please) running a 700 Celeron with 192MB of RAM. It's not my PC, it's my parents, but I'm pretty familiar with it.

When it first happened, EVERYTHING crashed, even the drives. So we sent it back to eMachines, and they sent us a new one. So a week goes by, turn the PC on, "Operating System Not Found"...so I reinstalled Windows. 5 days go by. "Operating System Not Found", so I reinstalled Windows, 5 days go by "Operating System Not Found"..and that's where we are now, with the O/S not being found again.

What can be causing this? The only program they use are AIM and MSN messenger, and the ATT dialer.

Originally, I thought maybe it could have been a Trojan type problem, so I installed a firewall for their PC...nope. Happened again.

The only thing I can think of is the AT&T dialer, but could that even cause an entire PC to crash?

Any help would be great.
Old 10-04-01, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Title would make more sense if it said

WINME and EMACHINES combo runs for whole 5 days without crash, YEAH!!!

Sorry I had to

Sounds like a bad hard dirve to me.
Old 10-04-01, 12:20 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My first thought was "because you're extremely lucky."

That sure sounds like something a failing hard drive would do, but the regularity is strange. You have done a virus scan with up-to-date virus signatures, haven't you?
Old 10-04-01, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by X
My first thought was "because you're extremely lucky."

That sure sounds like something a failing hard drive would do, but the regularity is strange. You have done a virus scan with up-to-date virus signatures, haven't you?
that sure is awful regular to be a failing hard drive. It still could be. It could also be a virus;however, you would need to be reinstalling it everytime. of course if you install the same programs from the same sources this could be why.

try using a virus program like X suggested after you have downloaded updated signatures and installed all the programs you usually do.

you did uncheck the Win ME uninstall every 5 days startup file didn't you
Old 10-04-01, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have been running ME for about 4 months now and I spend 8-9 hours on my computer a day and I have had 1 lockup. so far ME has been very stable.

Sounds like your drive info file keeps getting deleted. I had a similar problem with a machine not beeing able to find the OS. The fix was to reimage from a different CD, not the one I was using.
Old 10-04-01, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Virus Scan: Yes, they have MacAfee Firewall/Virus scan,a nd have the auto protect on, and they scan every 3 days.
Old 10-04-01, 04:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball
Virus Scan: Yes, they have MacAfee Firewall/Virus scan,a nd have the auto protect on, and they scan every 3 days.
And they have downloaded the latest virus definitions? Like today?
Old 10-04-01, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

T-ball

all hard drive manufacturers have utilities to help determine if the drive has issues and in many cases these utilities can fix the problem.

For example, if hte drive is a MAXTOR you download and run this

http://www.maxtor.com/products/Diamo...ures/20014.htm

in full destruct mode, it basically formats the drive into factory spec if it can. Then you reinstall ME and see if hte prob goes away. Since you have to do this every 5 days anway it is no big deal.

I know you are not a PC guy, but it is easy to open the case and look at the drive and see who made it

Seagate
Western Digital (doubtful)
Maxtor
Quantum
Fujitsu
IBM
Samsung

The manufacturer's markings shoudl be obvious on the drive somewhere. If all else fails see if you can find something that says MODEL NUMBER and post it here I will tell you what it is.

Find the util for your drive and see if it does not help. Odds are it is just the boot sector or the partition information that is flaking out, the drive is most likely not beyond the help of these simple software tools.
Old 10-04-01, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
could be a virus in the MBR (master boot record)
I don't think a normal format erases the MBR
Old 10-04-01, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the problem is, this is the 2nd PC that got this, we returned the first one, and they sent us a fresh one, so I'm not sure if the HD is the answer.
Old 10-04-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Thunderball
the problem is, this is the 2nd PC that got this,
It must be something you are doing then. Do you have a different set of install CDs you could try?

we returned the first one, and they sent us a fresh one, so I'm not sure if the HD is the answer.
No, they sent you a refurb. All companies, including my fav Dell, do this. The issue on refurbs comes in on if they are refurbed correctly or not? An emachines tech could have loaded software, saw it worked, and pushed a bad machine back out, I see it happen more often than you would think.

I see reports on all the warranty repair slips that Dell performs at my company and the serial numbers they go to. There have been several cases where the same part was replaced in the same machine 3 days in a row. Furhter research would show, some had the same problem, some has different ones, point is the replacement parts were also bad. I use stuff like this to leverage Dell when I need to so it is important to track and have perfects facts
Old 10-04-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk God

winME = huge memory leak
if your leaving it running 24/7, its amazing that its lasting 5 days at a time
Old 10-04-01, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I use WinMe with a PIII-800 as an HTPC - it works fine, and I prefer the image to that of my RP91 set-top player. Of course, I turn it off when I'm not using it...

RD
Old 10-04-01, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by 4KRG
[B]

It must be something you are doing then. Do you have a different set of install CDs you could try?

No, they sent you a refurb. All companies, including my fav Dell, do this. The issue on refurbs comes in on if they are refurbed correctly or not? An emachines tech could have loaded software, saw it worked, and pushed a bad machine back out, I see it happen more often than you would think.

I see reports on all the warranty repair slips that Dell performs at my company and the serial numbers they go to. There have been several cases where the same part was replaced in the same machine 3 days in a row. Furhter research would show, some had the same problem, some has different ones, point is the replacement parts were also bad. I use stuff like this to leverage Dell when I need to so it is important to track and have perfects facts
Yes I know I got a refurb.

The only other set of install CDs I have are the ones that came with my VAIO, and I'm pretty sure they won't work,...or will they?
Old 10-05-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

getting any "Id 10 T" errors?
Old 10-05-01, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you try adjusting these settings?

Old 10-06-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ok, yes, we just put MacAfee in, so the virus definitions were DLed automatically the first time( I think..but come to think of it, I wasn't home when they did it...) I'll have to try that again tomorrow.

Any other ideas of what it could be?

Failing HD
Worm

??
Old 10-06-01, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TaTTooD
getting any "Id 10 T" errors?

NO.