Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WinDVD problems - any solutions, alternatives?

Old 08-22-01, 02:05 AM

WinDVD problems - any solutions, alternatives?

Ok, I searched for any question like this and couldn't find it, so here goes.

I have a one-year old Dell laptop with WinDVD installed. It played DVDs fine when I first got it, but now it refuses. Every time I put in a DVD, it gives me the error message: "Cannot Create Overlay" and tells me to adjust resolution, etc. The website says to lower my resolution to 800x600 and use high color, but it seems that no color/resolution combination will make the error message disappear.

I am baffled. Intervideo won't help me because I didn't purchase their software (it was pre-installed). Oh, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software - doesn't help.

If I'm just screwed, is there any permanent solution?
Old 08-22-01, 09:35 AM
X
Administrator

This could be a DirectX problem. You might try downloading and installing the latest DirectX from Microsoft and maybe getting the latest driver for your video chip.
Old 08-23-01, 11:45 PM

Ok, here's what I've done:

I updated to DirectX 8.0, didn't help.

I also set up the Windows DVD player, but it's giving me error messages, too. Here's what it's saying:

The following errors have occured:

*The following DVD-Video streams did not render properly:
-video stream
-subpicture stream

*Windows cannot show the DVD title on the monitor because the video port in your computer is not working correctly.

You need to have a TV connected to your computer.
(Error: No combination of intermediate filters could be found to make the connection.)
Old 08-24-01, 12:27 AM
X
Administrator

Do you have an s-video output? Is it set up to be the or an output device? If so, try disabling the s-video output and set video for your LCD only, not dual display.
Old 08-24-01, 04:31 AM

Yes, I have an S-video input, but I haven't figured out how to check how it's configured.
Old 08-24-01, 11:36 PM

Dude all of a sudden I'm starting to get this error as well. I'm even getting this error in DVDrip as well. PowerDVD is giving me:

PowerDVD does not support the current display mode.

DDraw Overlay mode is the recommended mode. To restore it, please:
1. Close other video applications that are using DDraw resources, or
2. Lower the screen resolution, color depth, and/or refresh rate (did this already), or
3. Update to the latest Microsoft DirectX Runtime and to the latest display driver (did the DirectX thing and also installed 12.60, 14.70 and am now on 12.41 of Nvidia drivers).

I have a GeForce 2MX and I was able to play DVD's at any resolution (have a Tbird 1.2gig running at 1.33)

Win2k and 256megs of ram.

Anyone have any ideas?

DirectX also shows the following options grayed out under the display tab:

DirectDraw Acceleration: Not Available
Direct3D Acceleration: Not Available
AGP Texture Acceleration: Not Available

I can't do the "Test AGP Texturing". I can only do "Test Direct Draw" and "Test Direct3D".

This is driving me nuts. It was working fine earlier. Now I can't play a single movie.

HELP!