Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows 98SE -> XP...... HELP!!!!!

Old 07-31-01, 09:05 PM

Windows 98SE -> XP...... HELP!!!!!

A freind and I are trying to install XP RC1 on a computer, and we keep getting stuck at the hardware compatibility section. For some freaking weird reason, we are being told that "Microsoft Shared Fax Client" needs to be removed before we can install the operating system. The problem is.... THERE IS NO FREAKING FAX CLIENT! (Not that we can find anyway.)

Here is a segment of the report...
BLOCKING ISSUES
===============
Setup found some issues that will prevent you from upgrading your Windows installation. You must fix all of these issues before you can upgrade to Windows XP.

Software That Must be Permanently Removed
-----------------------------------------
The following programs can cause problems during the upgrade process and Setup cannot automatically remove them for you. Therefore, before Setup can continue, you must uninstall these programs from your computer.

Microsoft Shared Fax Client
Your existing Microsoft fax application will not be available after upgrading to Windows XP, and will be replaced by the Windows XP Fax. Please uninstall this fax application using the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, and then restart the upgrade. Your current fax settings and data will be saved, and you can use Windows XP Fax to access your existing fax servers after the upgrade.

Anyways, I did a search on regedit for the word fax, and came up with a few results. However, most of those results simply had the word "fax", "faxview", "faxdocument", etc..and I was unsure if it would be wise to delete anything. But I haven't found any programs that might be fax related that need to be uninstalled (err...Outlook Express?).

WWYD? (What Would You Do?)
Thanks for all the help that I am sure I will get!
Old 08-01-01, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk God

start..control panel.. add remove/programs... windows components..

Im assuming it wants you to uninstall the fax package that is listed there in windows components
Old 08-01-01, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're trying to install Windows XP ontop of a copy of Win 98 SE? I usually just erase Windows and install fresh. That way I get a clean install.

PS - Trust me, I think its worth the trouble of reinstalling all your apps. For one, you won't get those errors of incompatibility between the two OSs and plus, Windows NEEDS a clean reinstall every once in a while.... it tends to get bloated with use and slows down. Plus, I find that I only reinstall the programs I really use, so that helps me save space and Windows goes faster.

Last edited by Snowball; 08-01-01 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-01-01, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, you want a clean install since old 98 components will cause serious errors and compatability issues.
Old 08-01-01, 12:56 PM

twikoff... I am not [that] dumb....so twikoff. (that was obviously the first place we went, but there wasn't a fax program to erase)

I am guessing that a clean install is probably the best way to go. Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 08-01-01, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

hehe
as someone in IT, that has spent a few years working support.. I never pass up suggesting the most obvious, because alot of times people look deep into a problem but miss what is right on the surface

a clean install is always better.. especially when going from the 9x kernel to the NT kernel....

just out of curiousity.. are you installing personal or pro?
all the XP machines I have run have been on pro (1. because I prefer pro and 2. because that is what we are sent at work to test)
Old 08-01-01, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by twikoff
hehe
as someone in IT, that has spent a few years working support.. I never pass up suggesting the most obvious, because alot of times people look deep into a problem but miss what is right on the surface

a clean install is always better.. especially when going from the 9x kernel to the NT kernel....

just out of curiousity.. are you installing personal or pro?
all the XP machines I have run have been on pro (1. because I prefer pro and 2. because that is what we are sent at work to test)
We are using the pre-release test (RC1) version of XP which is the Professional version, I believe. Is there a way of doing a "clean install" without having to format the HD? There is about 20 gigs of stuff that would need to be backed up if we have to reformat.

In other words... can we just remove Windows, and leave everything else there, and then install XP?

Thanks.
Old 08-01-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by heimerSWT
In other words... can we just remove Windows, and leave everything else there, and then install XP?
You can boot into dos and do a deltree on the winnt (or windows) directory and the "documents and settings" directory. I also remove the program files directory but I don't think that is absolutely necessary. If you're going to reinstall all your programs, why not though. Cleans it up a bit.