Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is Win2k ok for games or will i need 98/ME?

Old 07-27-01, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is Win2k ok for games or will i need 98/ME?

Question is simple. I remember that when Windows2000 first came out there was really no support for games. My new pc will be here soon and I intend to have Windows 2000 be the main operating system, and a yet undetermined flavor of linux. Will I need to still keep Windows ME to play the occasional game or is that no longer an issue with Windows 2000? If I still need to keep ME, I will have some more questions on how to accomplish all this. Thanks.
Old 07-27-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Most games do work on Windows 2000, however some (mostly older) games don't. Most popular games do, such as Quake, Half-Life, Age of Empires, Starcraft, etc, etc..

If you want both OSes on your system, install ME first then 2000, _not_ vice-versa. If you install ME over 2000, ME will overwrite the boot record and you won't be able to boot into 2000.
Old 07-27-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk God

like he said.. 2000 will work for most.. especially if you have the latest service pack and use the compatiblity modes.

if your looking to dual boot, i would suggest 98 and 2k though..
win me is not a good option.. 98 is still solid and will play any of the games that you cant run under 2k
Old 07-27-01, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I should qualify my previous comment. I have no experience with Windows ME, but I dual boot 98 and 2000. That's the way 98 works, you have to install it first and then 2000 on top of it. Windows 2000 will recognize that windows 98 is already installed, and will create a simple boot menu for you to choose which OS to run. However, installing 98 on top of 2000 will simply erase anything in the boot record and you'll be automatically booted into 98 each time.

I'm just assuming Windows ME works the same way as 98..
Old 07-27-01, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. 98 vs ME? sorry if this is dumb but how is 98 better than ME? I thought ME was just 98 with a few extra touches. I have copies of both so it wouldn't be a big deal.

2. So I may or may not ever run into the need for a 98/ME. If I did go ahead and toss it on how much space would I need to partition for the operating system? I'm assuming all the program files can be kept together on the partition with win2k. Is this correct? The HD is 40Gig so it might be worth it to squeeze it on anyways for safety.
Old 07-27-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by svadas
2. So I may or may not ever run into the need for a 98/ME. If I did go ahead and toss it on how much space would I need to partition for the operating system? I'm assuming all the program files can be kept together on the partition with win2k. Is this correct? The HD is 40Gig so it might be worth it to squeeze it on anyways for safety.
Yeah, all you'd need is something like a ~500mb partition for windows 98. I'd go a little bit bigger just to be safe. As long as the windows 2000 parition is FAT32 and not NTFS, windows 98 will see it and you can install all your stuff on that partition. That's how I setup my system.
Old 07-27-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm having problems with ME. Mainly, it won't detect my Sidewinder joystick. 98 finds it just fine. It also doesn't seem to have enough features to justify the performance hit and extra space requirements. Since I just use it to play, I don't need anything but the OS, and 98 works just fine.

Personally, I triple boot. I run 2000, 98, and Mandrake Linux on this machine. 2000 is for work, mainly because I have to develop on Windows, and I get a lot of windows specific files. 98 is for playing games only. Period. Linux is for hacking, playing around, and Linux development (which I have to do as well).
Old 07-27-01, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Win ME so far has nothing but negative reviews

plenty of people have run it witout too many problems, but that is the exception to the rule

microsoft has already come out and stated that there is a pretty drastic memory leak in Win ME, and as of now, there are no plans to put the effort into patching it.. its definitly a resource hog.. and offers nothing that you cant easily get out of win98.. not to mention the hardware conflicts caused by ME. I think the common assumption is that MS had originally planned to converge their consumer and business OS into one, with win2000.. but it still had some shortcomings for the consumer.. so they quickly dropped this POS os (win me) just to have a consumer release, while they worked on XP.
98 is a solid OS.. if your just looking for a backup os to run some games on, definitly stick with 98
Old 07-27-01, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

so the best use of the 40 Gigs would be to partition as follows:

10Gig - Linux
Swap File
1 Gig Windows 98 (or is this too much?)
29 Gig Windows 2000 (Fat 32 - not NFS)
Old 07-27-01, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. 98 vs ME? sorry if this is dumb but how is 98 better than ME? I thought ME was just 98 with a few extra touches. I have copies of both so it wouldn't be a big deal.
I've run both 98 and ME on my system and there's no way in hell that I'd ever go back to using ME again. Windows 98 SE is the better of those two. Although now I'm running Win 2000 with 320MB of RAM so I have no desire to use 98 ever again.
Old 07-27-01, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

so the best use of the 40 Gigs would be to partition as follows:

10Gig - Linux
Swap File
1 Gig Windows 98 (or is this too much?)
29 Gig Windows 2000 (Fat 32 - not NFS)
if your planning to use win98 to play any games.. might wanna leave more room then 1 gig.. not to mention, witht he majority taken up, its gonna run slow.. I would go ahead and drop a few gigs on the 98 partition
Old 07-28-01, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by twikoff

if your planning to use win98 to play any games.. might wanna leave more room then 1 gig.. not to mention, witht he majority taken up, its gonna run slow.. I would go ahead and drop a few gigs on the 98 partition
I think he only wants to install win98 itself on the partition, and then install the actual game files on the other partition...
Old 07-28-01, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the 98 partition is as snowball said, just a backup os just in case I run into something that won't run on 2000. so I would only need enough room for the os. given that fact is it ok then?
Old 08-04-01, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although it doesn't come out until October, WindowsXP provides some good news in the app compat department.

Several months ago when XP hit its beta 2 milestone, it was running at greater stability than Win2k and greater compatibility than Win2k. The latest build, and last milestone, RC2 is even more stable and compatible.
Old 08-04-01, 03:46 PM
Stealth Moderator

Just to be on the safe side, do this (like many mentioned):

Install Windows 98se first. Then install Windows 2000 dual boot.

You should be able to run EVERYTHING made for DOS or Windows.
Old 08-06-01, 12:56 PM

I run an exclusively win2k machine, and I have yet to find a relatively current game that won't run well on it...