Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What is best flavor of linux?

Old 07-27-01, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What is best flavor of linux?

I'm going put linux on my new pc. I currently have Caldera running on an old mac. I had Caldera only because it's the only thing that would run. What is considered the best flavor of linux currently? I've heard a lot of praise for mandrake and red hat, but I thought I'd check with you guys first.

Also, how big of a partition should I put on the drive? I only want to do it once so I don't want to run out of space.
Old 07-27-01, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've always loved Slackware -- but Slack is not exactly a beginner's Linux OS. It really forces you to either know what you are doing -- or learn really quickly. If you're looking for this kind of immersion, and this kind of control, I'd pick either Slack or Debian.

I didn't care for Red Hat because I think its gearing down for newbies goes a bit too far, and it really installs a lot of extra stuff and is easier to get started with, but never really forces you to learn anything. The problem with that is that you really do need to understand what Linux is doing to get the most out of it.

Lately, I've been using Mandrake, which seems to be the best compromise between the two worlds.
Old 07-27-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

i like the simplicity of mandrake
Old 07-27-01, 11:42 AM
Mod Emeritus

I've got one Slackware system running and I agree that it takes much more knowledge to work with than many of the other distributions. I installed Mandrake and it seemed pretty nice, but it didn't support all of my hardware and wasn't as stable as one would like due to this. This install was replaced with Corel Linux which supported all of my hardware just fine and has been very stable.
Old 07-27-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Strawberry.

Ok, do you mean like Red Hat and all those etc. For a mac I would go with Linux PPC, but I currently use Mac OS X cause I can run an apache server, ssh, slogin, and telnet to my college's unix system.

It's better than running a unix partition IMHO.
Old 07-27-01, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

will a 10GB partition be big enough?
Old 07-27-01, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I usually have a 2GB partition for Linux, X Windows, apps and games, and I have over 40GB for storage, which is currently being eaten up by MP3s.

So, to answer your question, 10GB should be more than enough. I wouldn't go below five, unless you have somewhere outside the partition to stick raw data. I like to keep a few gigs free just for compiling and whatnot. Don't forget to make a swap partition.
Old 07-27-01, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Mandrake is the best one I find...
Old 07-29-01, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thought you should read this article, if you are moving to a Linux platform for the first time from a windows environment. I wish there had been something like this when I first started using Linux.

ftp://www6.software.ibm.com/software...rary/l-faq.pdf