Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Quick Question. Help Needed

Old 07-26-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quick Question. Help Needed

I am trying to run a program that requires I enable AGP texture acceleration. When I run "dxdiag" and go to display, it says the feature is unavailable. It goes onto say the driver is uncertified. I have a voodoo 3500 and Win 98. I downloaded the driver from 3dfx, so how can it be uncertified? Can anyone please point me in the direction of a "certified" driver? How do I install it? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-27-01, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Quick Question. Help Needed

Originally posted by FREEJG
I am trying to run a program that requires I enable AGP texture acceleration. When I run "dxdiag" and go to display, it says the feature is unavailable. It goes onto say the driver is uncertified. I have a voodoo 3500 and Win 98. I downloaded the driver from 3dfx, so how can it be uncertified? Can anyone please point me in the direction of a "certified" driver? How do I install it? Thanks in advance.
i do not think voodoo cards have texture acceleration as a feature- what program are you running?
Old 07-27-01, 01:08 AM
X
Administrator

I don't have a clue. But I'm interested in the "program".
Old 07-27-01, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk God

half the drivers we use are uncertified.. this is pretty normal

are you sure that is what is causing your problem?
Old 07-30-01, 09:06 PM

When the OS refers to "Certified" it's referring to certification by the WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Lab) a theoretically independent testing lab owned and operated by MS.

You state you downloaded drivers from 3DFX, however currently there are no WHQL certified drivers for the 3500 at the 3DFX site, only RC's (Beta releases)

The only WHQL certified drivers are the ones that shipped with the OS, unless you can find old copies archived somewhere.

The bottom line is that given that 3DFX was bought out by Nvidia, and Nvidia isn't doing squat to support 3DFX legacy products, you're basicly screwed when it comes to driver support. I hate to say it, but your best bet is to shell out the $$$ for a card that is supported.

Oh yeah, AGP texture acceleration isn't part of the 3DFX 3500 feature set anyway.

Update - here's a link to WHQL drivers: http://www.windrivers.com/company/3d...vers/index.htm

Here's a link confirming lack of AGP texture support: http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic...oodoo3-02.html

Like I said earlier - Sorry, but you're basicly screwed.

Last edited by jhansen; 07-30-01 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-30-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I had a similar problem when I installed Links 2001. It said the same thng about texture acceleration. I tried adjusting my settings, but to no avail. Finally, I figured out that they were referring to the video settings in the program itself, and sure enough, there it was, the graphics acceleration option. I'm not sure what program you're running, but if it's a game (like Links), check your video options for the game.
Old 08-02-01, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the problem solved. Thanks for everyone's help!