Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

Old 05-29-23, 07:58 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,055
Received 103 Likes on 80 Posts
Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

All I want is my local stations. No indoor antenna will work where I live. I'm trying to get permission from the local Mobile home HOA to put up an outdoor rooftop.Best Buy stated on the phone if I use their installation service & the reception doesn't cut it, there would be no charge.

I can't afford to pay Comcast over $60 a month for something I used to get for free.

Dear god, the networks are greedy. They still get the advertising revenue that they got when one could actually receive TV over the air; & then they tack on $30-$50 in supposed fees.

All I want to watch is local sports, news & politics. Where I live an indoor antenna is worthless; amplified or not. I can't afford comcast's television prices (my only option other than dish where I live).
Old 05-29-23, 08:13 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 76,154
Received 3,017 Likes on 2,203 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

You cannot get "free" local networks via streaming. The networks charge retransmission fees. Anyone who claims to have it for "free" is pirating a signal. That's how Locast got into trouble and eventually shut down.

There are a few "free" streaming apps that televise local newscasts from select markets. Like Haystack News, NewsOn, Local Now. And your local market news station may also have a free ad supported streaming app.

and CNN, NBC News, CBS News also have free live streaming apps.

But, you're not going to get "free" local sports networks. It's all on paid services.

Old 05-29-23, 08:33 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,055
Received 103 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

The way to get it is to live near the broadcast towers & use an antenna. They are still broadcasting over the air, but many of us can't receive it. The stations are being extremely greedy. Their revenue has probably increased by 1000% since many people HAD to get cable to get television. And the reason why: Digital TV takes up much less bandwidth than analog. The "spare" PUBLIC bandwidth created was sold to the cell phone companies at pennies on the dollar.

I was just HOPING in these already inflationary times, that someone might know of an option that I don't.
Old 05-29-23, 09:13 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 29,730
Received 1,231 Likes on 794 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

I can get local news through Roku on Haystack News. I don't watch sports, so I can't help you there.
The following users liked this post:
MooMooMooMoo (05-29-23)
Old 05-29-23, 09:18 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,055
Received 103 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I can get local news through Roku on Haystack News. I don't watch sports, so I can't help you there.
Do you get the full news broadcast in real time?
Old 05-29-23, 09:20 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 76,154
Received 3,017 Likes on 2,203 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

I also suggested Haystack News in my post. Yes, you get the full newscast. I also suggested a few others.
The following users liked this post:
MooMooMooMoo (05-29-23)
Old 05-30-23, 10:34 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 39,585
Received 1,143 Likes on 834 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

Hopefully the HOA will approve. Especially if you can find an outdoor antenna that looks nice.
Old 05-30-23, 12:02 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,230
Received 282 Likes on 218 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

I thought the FCC decided outdoor antennas canít be banned?

I had one at my apartment but had to move it inside as the cable used for it now delivers my internet. It still gets most of the local stations and some out of town on good days, if it didnít work I would just do without them though.
Old 05-30-23, 12:42 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,737
Received 260 Likes on 179 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
All I want is my local stations. No indoor antenna will work where I live. I'm trying to get permission from the local Mobile home HOA to put up an outdoor rooftop.Best Buy stated on the phone if I use their installation service & the reception doesn't cut it, there would be no charge.

I can't afford to pay Comcast over $60 a month for something I used to get for free.

Dear god, the networks are greedy. They still get the advertising revenue that they got when one could actually receive TV over the air; & then they tack on $30-$50 in supposed fees.

All I want to watch is local sports, news & politics. Where I live an indoor antenna is worthless; amplified or not. I can't afford comcast's television prices (my only option other than dish where I live).
By law, your HOA can't prevent you from installing an outdoor antenna nor can they impose an onerous process of obtaining permission to do so (assuming your mobile home isn't on the National Register of Historic Places and your HOA doesn't already offer a central antenna that all the properties can tap into). All the relevant info about the law is here:
https://www.groundedreason.com/tv-antennas-fcc-hoa/


The following users liked this post:
MooMooMooMoo (05-30-23)
Old 05-30-23, 02:12 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,055
Received 103 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Hopefully the HOA will approve. Especially if you can find an outdoor antenna that looks nice.
Hopefully it will receive the stations!
The following users liked this post:
TomOpus (05-30-23)
Old 05-30-23, 02:17 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 6,055
Received 103 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Is There ANYTHING Out There Lke Locast?

Originally Posted by kefrank
By law, your HOA can't prevent you from installing an outdoor antenna nor can they impose an onerous process of obtaining permission to do so (assuming your mobile home isn't on the National Register of Historic Places and your HOA doesn't already offer a central antenna that all the properties can tap into). All the relevant info about the law is here:
https://www.groundedreason.com/tv-antennas-fcc-hoa/
Thank you, this may be very helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by MooMooMooMoo:
kefrank (05-30-23), TomOpus (05-30-23)

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.