Samsung's TV Plus free streaming service is now open to all

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-21, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Samsung's TV Plus free streaming service is now open to all

Samsung quietly launched its TV Plus streaming service on the web

Live and linear TV for free
By Catie Keck Jul 9, 2021, 7:44pm EDTSamsung recently launched a web version of its free and ad-supported Smart TV Plus streaming service for live and linear programming as well as added casting support for Chromecast devices.

The streaming product, which was previously limited to Samsung TV and mobile devices, launched as a web service in the second quarter, Protocol reported Friday. It’s a curious new player in the streaming wars and launched with seemingly little fanfare, but the rollout makes an app that was previously limited to Samsung users now widely available to just about anyone.

Samsung did not have immediate comment about the launch when reached on Friday. However, a spokesperson confirmed the launch of the web version of the service to Protocol.

Samsung TV Plus has been around for years — it’s been available on Samsung smart TVs since 2016 — but the rollout to additional devices outside of the streaming ecosystem places it more directly in competition with ad-supported streaming services like Peacock, the Roku Channel, or any number of linear-programming freebies like Pluto TV or Plex.

While it’s unclear why the company seems to have decided to soft launch the web version of its streaming service now, Samsung appears to be exploring ways to bring TV Plus to a larger audience. Choice is always great and you can’t beat the price of free (particularly if you can stand to sit through ads), but if Samsung’s ambitions are to dominate the linear streaming space, it’s a bit late to the party.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/9/22...eaming-service

Not having a Samsung TV or other device, I had no idea they had their own streaming channel. I've noticed a lot of overlap of content among the popular free streamers, so I'm guessing TV Plus isn't much different. Buy hey, another streaming option.

Link to the web version: https://samsungtvplus.com/
Old 07-11-21, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Samsung's TV Plus free streaming service is now open to all

Channel lineup
https://www.samsung.com/us/televisio.../all-channels/

Some devices (Roku, LG, etc) will not carry this as they offer their own similar services.
Old 07-11-21, 09:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

A good chunk of these channels are the same ones as ones on The Roku Channel.
Old 07-11-21, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

....and Pluto TV etc. I don't really understand the value of channels like these unless you just must have moving pictures on your TV at all times. Seems like very little quality content & a whole lot of commercials.
Old 07-11-21, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Really it’s just a mix of stuff that’s already out there on Pluto, XUMO and other ad supported live TV streaming channels.
Old 07-11-21, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

When I first starting using it a few years ago they had a cable digital subchannel(can't remember which one but not MeTV) but it didn't last long and was quickly pulled.
Old 07-14-21, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W
....and Pluto TV etc. I don't really understand the value of channels like these unless you just must have moving pictures on your TV at all times. Seems like very little quality content & a whole lot of commercials.
Neither do I.

These are all just free content aggregators consisting of content that can be (relatively) easily found elsewhere and consist of things that most people wouldn't watch.