Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Google Play Movies & TV on some devices migrating to YouTube

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-21, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Google Play Movies & TV on some devices migrating to YouTube

I looked, but didn't see any past threads about Google Play Movies & TV. I just got the below email about the app being phased into YouTube on certain TVs. (Be sure to check your inbox. There's a one time use code for a purchase buried at the end of it.) This move is a bit baffling. Google folded Play Music into YouTube, but this move seems just for some smart TV apps. For video content on my Android phone, Google earlier morphed Play Movies & TV into Google TV, not YouTube. Why not have everything under the YouTube banner? Hey, Google is gonna Google, I guess.

On to the email:

Changes are coming to Google Play Movies & TV on certain devices

Starting June 15, 2021, the YouTube app will be your new home for movies and shows on Roku, Samsung, LG, and Vizio smart TVs.¹ The Google Play Movies & TV app will no longer be available on these devices. To access all of your previous purchases, log into the YouTube app using the account you use on Google Play Movies & TV, navigate to the “Library” tab, and click on “Your movies and shows.” Here are a few things to be aware of:

• All of your past purchases will be available on YouTube. You will be able to rent and buy the latest movies and shows on YouTube
• Your Google Play credits can be used on YouTube to make purchases.
• Play Family Library purchases can be viewed on YouTube, but purchases made on YouTube are not eligible for family sharing. Purchases made on the Google Play website or app will continue to support family sharing. • Your Watchlist is not available on YouTube, but you can set up Playlists.
• All of your purchased movies and shows are also accessible on these platforms.
• We are providing a “thank you” gift to our Google Play Movies & TV users who are affected by this change - your unique code is (REDACTED). Go to youtube.com/redeem to receive your credit to apply to your next movie or show purchase on YouTube. More detailed instructions here.
Mainly, I just wanted to give y'all a heads up about the credit in the email.
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (04-12-21)
Old 04-12-21, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts
Re: Google Play Movies & TV on some devices migrating to YouTube

I received the same email. Since we use our Roku or our LG TV to stream Google Play app, looks like we'll have to switch to using YouTube if we want to continue to steam anything from our Google account.
Old 04-12-21, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I do have 2 Rokus. I almost never do anything through them though because you can't get 4k on the Google Play app. Well you can, but once you rent or buy something, you have to watch through YT to get the 4k. Too much of a pain so I always use Vudu for rentals.
Old 04-13-21, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

This was an absolute nightmare chatting online with them trying to get my movies and shows back into my YouTube account. They were there for a while but disappeared saying they no longer work with “YouTube Brand Accounts”. I switched to my regular Google account and they were still gone from my library. After some tweaking they got the movies back in the Google account but the TV shows were gone, I had moved my Google Play Music over when they switched that also but none of that shows up in either YouTube account. After more than an hour it seemed the rep didn’t have enough resources available and I just gave up, will try again after the Google
Play app stops working completely and maybe everything will migrate by then. I didn’t use them much anyways because their app was so damn slow and rather plain-looking.

But yeah, digital is the future.