Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

YouTube ads getting more invasive

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 07-07-20, 10:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I realize the YouTube world revolves around ad revenue but it seems to me that within the last couple of weeks ads have become almost brutal. On my PC I have ad blockers so never really noticed it. Yes, I know "Content Creators" rely on ad revenue...blah, blah, blah. However, I'm using my Roku to view YouTube channel subscriptions more and more. Unless I white list certain sites YouTube won't load on Roku allowing the ads. It seems instead of the opening ad I could skip after a number of seconds, or watch if relevant to me, now there are multiple ads inserted in the video. I believe the creator has the ability to indicate where they have ads placed, in most cases, but have they all figured out about the same time to have them in the middle of their videos or has YouTube decided that for them? I viewed a relatively popular channel, but certainly not in the top 100 or whatever the ranking and saw three within a 20ish minute video of course breaking the pacing of the video. Vent mode off but I have started leaving comments that the ads really interrupt the usefulness of the videos (most DIY type) to let the creator know.
Old 07-07-20, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 184 Likes on 142 Posts
Re: YouTube ads getting more invasive

YouTube Premium has the paid subscription option that eliminates ads.

Depends what you value more - money or time.
The following users liked this post:
Jay G. (07-09-20)
Old 07-07-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 316 Posts

I have noticed more un-skippable ads before videos lately and usually 2 rather than 1, regardless if you can skip them or not. 30 seconds of ads before a 3-5 min video makes it easier to skip altogether.
Old 07-07-20, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,779 Likes on 1,310 Posts

If you watch YouTube frequently, pay the $12 bucks for the premium service for ad free service. I do and I think it’s worth it.

and the content creators will get a cut of that monthly fee as well.
Old 07-07-20, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 167 Posts

I noticed that they now play ads after the video completes, so you have to scramble to close the YouTube app if you don't want to see the ad.
candyrocket786 (08-01-20)
Old 07-07-20, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

I still get ZERO YouTube ads on my PC thanks to ublock origin and custom filters, but it sucks when I want to watch on my phone through the app.
rduncan (07-07-20)
Old 07-07-20, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 264 Likes on 206 Posts

I noticed that YouTube on my iPad had many more ads than my Roku stick. Roku seems to ad double the ads now than they had before. I'm fine with 30 more seconds of ads. I might consider the Premium subscription if it gets more invasive than that.
Old 07-07-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 736 Likes on 602 Posts

Iíve had Premium (previously Red) for years. For the amount I watch it I feel itís more than worth it.
Old 07-07-20, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Just be thankful we're currently in that comfy area between the end of Mike Bloomberg's ad blitz and the ramping up of the campaigns of the two major presidential candidates. #blessed

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I have noticed more un-skippable ads before videos lately and usually 2 rather than 1, regardless if you can skip them or not. 30 seconds of ads before a 3-5 min video makes it easier to skip altogether.
I've noticed this lately.
Old 07-07-20, 06:21 PM
Premium Member

Received 684 Likes on 520 Posts

In no way, shape, or form would I ever give money to YouTube for anything. Thankfully, I rarely use it.
Old 07-08-20, 08:19 AM

Received 255 Likes on 150 Posts

I just use the Brave browser.
Old 07-08-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts

How many screens are you allowed at the same time with You Tube Premium?
Old 07-08-20, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 196 Likes on 151 Posts

I've had ads inserted between songs on audio albums that people uploaded, was listening to some of them last year at work and had to keep skipping the ads or just listening to them.

I always skip ads on the TV apps, even ones I might actually be interested in, because of the timer and "SKIP AD" button that constantly stays on, sometimes blocking text in the commercials. If I were paying for my ads to be shown there I would want those gone. YouTube is free and usually provides a better experience than many of the paid streaming services, so I'll watch commercials on it but not like that.
Old 07-09-20, 10:30 AM

So far I've not found anything to help while watching YouTube via the Roku app. Like others stated I use an AdBlocker stuff while using a Browser but can't find the right combination using "pi-Hole" for the Roku. Found a couple blacklists that are supposed to do the trick but they often stop the actual video from even loading. I always give a "thumbs up" on pretty much every video I watch but may start politely posting a comment about how intrusive the mid-video ads are and perhaps the creator will reconsider placement. Beginning and end are fine. Of course, I could actually pay but where is the fun in that!
Old 07-09-20, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 635 Likes on 515 Posts

Hah, is YouTube even profitable yet? I know they were breaking even with $4b revenue a few years ago but haven't really been keeping track.
Old 07-09-20, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
So far I've not found anything to help while watching YouTube via the Roku app. Like others stated I use an AdBlocker stuff while using a Browser but can't find the right combination using "pi-Hole" for the Roku. Found a couple blacklists that are supposed to do the trick but they often stop the actual video from even loading. I always give a "thumbs up" on pretty much every video I watch but may start politely posting a comment about how intrusive the mid-video ads are and perhaps the creator will reconsider placement. Beginning and end are fine. Of course, I could actually pay but where is the fun in that!
As far as I know, the content creator has no control over the placement of ads.
Old 07-10-20, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by John Richmond View Post
As far as I know, the content creator has no control over the placement of ads.
I've been told that they have a choice of before, during or after their video (or some combination) if they Monetize Many realize folks skip ads before and don't stick around after so they select "during" so they can see $$$. Could be wrong but that was from a creator if I understood them.
Old 07-10-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I've been told that they have a choice of before, during or after their video (or some combination) if they Monetize Many realize folks skip ads before and don't stick around after so they select "during" so they can see $$$. Could be wrong but that was from a creator if I understood them.
This is correct. At least, I know creators have the option for the mid-video adds. Someone I watch mentioned it just recently. I don't think they have any control over which adds are shows during their vids.
Old 07-10-20, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 492 Likes on 300 Posts

Worth paying the $10-12 a month just to turn the ads off. I watch a ton of YouTube, it's so worth it.
DJariya (07-10-20)
Old 07-11-20, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Worth paying the $10-12 a month just to turn the ads off. I watch a ton of YouTube, it's so worth it.
I may do that since I just cancelled Acorn and about to do the same with Hulu. I wasn't aware of that price point being available only seeing prompts for YouTube TV at $64.99/month
Old 07-11-20, 08:25 PM

Received 255 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I just use the Brave browser.
I apparently jinxed myself. Been using the Brave browser on my iPad for months now instead of the YouTube app, and been ad-free the whole time. In the 3 days since I posted here, I’ve started getting ads at the beginning of videos. They are only at the beginning (for now) and skippable (for now), but I wonder how long that’ll last.
Old 07-14-20, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just had a survey pop up before a video on my Roku. I’ve never seen that on a Roku before.
Old 07-14-20, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I just had a survey pop up before a video on my Roku. Iíve never seen that on a Roku before.
Yeah, I used to just get that on my phone, but it's been popping up a lot lately on my Roku TV. I don't mind. It's quicker than waiting 5 seconds to skip a video ad.
Old 07-30-20, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I ended up signing up for ad-free YouTube. I get a month for free to see how I like it. If I like it, I'm going to keep it. The ads were starting to get on my nerves. They were running three times per video sometimes.
Old 07-30-20, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy? View Post
I ended up signing up for ad-free YouTube. I get a month for free to see how I like it. If I like it, I'm going to keep it. The ads were starting to get on my nerves. They were running three times per video sometimes.
How many screens are you allowed at the same time with ad-free You Tube?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.