Reload this Page >

Digital Copies that require a disc are now all expired per Disney

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Old 03-09-20, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 126 Likes on 103 Posts

I purchased Gnomeo and Juliet 3D set this past weekend. I entered the code into Disney Movie Insiders and received the points.

I then attempted to enter the code on MA and it said the code was not valid. I then remembered digitalmovieredeem.com (Disney's site). That prompted that Iust use the Digital Copy disc.

So I put the disc in my drive and it opened iTunes requesting the code. I entered the code and was met with the same message that the code was not valid. So I sent a communication via Disney's help desk. They replied the code was expired.

I sent them a reply stating I was able to use it for points and the message stated Not Valid which is different than Expired asking them to check the code. They replied back that ALL digital copies that previously required a disc are now "Expired".

This seems to imply all codes for any Disney company (Marvel, Disney, Touchstone, FOX, etc) that requires a disc to no longer be valid. Ugh.
The following users liked this post:
MrLupeJCrawford (03-12-21)
Old 03-09-20, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Digital Copies that require a disc are now all expired per Disney

And if we did choose to return it, I doubt they'd take it back now that it is opened.

Although we wouldn't return it as we enjoy 3D.
Old 03-09-20, 09:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

The old school codes that required a disc have pretty much been expired for a while now. I believe I ran into the same issue with the same movie, and I bought it a few years ago.
Old 03-09-20, 10:40 PM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

A lot of these codes "expired" years ago. My "Race to Witch Mountain" disc says the code will expire on Feb 4, 2011. They still worked for a few years after that. But I'm not surprised they eventually stopped redeeming.

I would keep trying to get it fixed. Maybe try over the phone or contact Movies Anywhere. Politely ask for a replacement for the expired code. And send them a picture of the receipt showing that you just recently purchased the disc. I've heard of people getting replacements for expired codes.
Old 03-10-20, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This code has no expiration date identified and if memory serves, no indication on slip of potential future expiration. This disc set came out before they labeled everything with expiration dates or warnings of potential future expiration.

Another point they've brought up on other codes that require discs is the redemption is SD only.
Old 03-10-20, 07:40 AM

Received 492 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
This code has no expiration date identified and if memory serves, no indication on slip of potential future expiration. This disc set came out before they labeled everything with expiration dates or warnings of potential future expiration.
If you look on the back of the case, the small print says "Digital Copy code subject to expiration".

Those old digital copies always had expiration dates. I've got digital copy slips that expired in 2009.

The early disc-based digital copies were usually only iTunes SD. They would transfer the video file from the digital copy disc to your iTunes movie folder on your computer. Some were compatible with Windows and gave you a SD WMV file. They were only around 1.5 GB and intended for viewing on a laptop or mobile device.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-10-20 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-10-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

I came across an expired disc for John Carter last year. Emailed customer support and they eventually sent me a replacement code (unfortunately, it was SD).
Old 03-12-21, 08:58 AM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks. Was considering getting a Disney movie from 2010.
Old 03-12-21, 09:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And it's kind of odd, since codes of FOX movies still works, though it requires some kind of luck.
Old 03-12-21, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 763 Likes on 638 Posts

Studios are getting more aggressive about "expiring" digital movie copies. Now that they've suckered most affluent customers into streaming movies, there's no real need for any more consumer goodwill about digital content.
The following users liked this post:
MrLupeJCrawford (03-12-21)
Old 03-12-21, 08:29 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I encountered a similar issue with an Universal movie recently and their customer service let me know that most, if not all of the codes can still be redeemed on the Movies app from Apple. If you have your Apple account synced with Movies Anywhere, the film will show in your catalog as long as it isn't a Lionsgate one.