Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

UV shutdown new or unresolved issues (aka Things lost in the Fire)

Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

UV shutdown new or unresolved issues (aka Things lost in the Fire)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 425 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: UV shutdown new or unresolved issues (aka Things lost in the Fire)

Originally Posted by E Unit
Not in the least, unless you kept track of every movie you bought or redeemed then checked those on a regular basis. And I don’t know of a single person who does that. Such is the digital life when it comes to stuff like this.

Actually I do. Had a pre-existing database started back in the DVD days. Kept it up to date when I started buying Blu's and then digital. It was trivial to add fields for the redemptions and what ported to where. I can tell you if my title count is off on iTunes/MA/VUDU in minutes. I buy so little these days it's easy to keep the db up.
Old 08-03-19, 10:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Still not worth it. If you lose something, they can simply say "sorry". No recourse.
Old 08-03-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I have an inventory of all my digital collection. I started it when CinemaNOW went down and I lost some titles including a few UV licenses. Every purchase or code redemption is checked and catalogued.
​​​​​​
I check every connected service upon purchase or code redemption to ensure the right title and resolution is transferred. This is also catalogued and any issue is immediately turned to a help desk ticket with the appropriate service or services.

When I entered codes I didn't always focus on a single provider but most times instead redeemed with where the insert directed me. So my UV collection was mixed VUDU and other current or previous providers. Before MA, I redeemed every code at the UV provider and also tried it on iTunes. This meant multiple redeem titles were in both UV and iTunes ecosystem. Then when MA came around these titles were inserted into MA from both VUDU (either direct from or ported via UV) and iTunes.

In the case of the MA mixup with erroneous refund requests, any UV title not originally sourced from VUDU that flowed through UV had a potential to have a refund request sent from VUDU to MA in essence removing the movie from MA while yet still owning it in UV and VUDU. In my case cumulatively from the 4 times this happened, if memory serves me, I had over 80 refund requests sent to MA. Fortunately the multiple redeems from iTunes/FandangoNow as well as the upgrades to HD that MA provided when MA first launched kept many of those from being removed. I would have to confirm but if memory serves, I had over 40 movies incorrectly removed from MA. Which using Transaction history I was able to see the titles that VUDU was sending as refund requests to MA. Now the transaction history did not show a removal but did list a title on the affected dates from VUDU that I had in my inventory spreadsheet yet was removed from MA.

I immediately asked MA for help who sent me to VUDU who sent me to UV who sent me back to VUDU who said things like linking MA directly to the Studios (which isn't even possible). After over 1 month of back and forth with all help desks and still missing, I reached out directly to the studios. They helped me with replacement codes after I sent screenshots and pictures of discs and former redemption codes.

Then it happened again. I again reached out to the studios. They helped as they could and I ended up with just 4 movies still removed from MA.

My reason for being this diligent is that we paid for these codes with our disc purchases and spent time building our collection in expectations of having it available in the most places possible so we can enjoy it for years to come. The thought of having items erroneously removed was like someone coming into our house and stealing our discs.

​​​​​
Old 08-03-19, 11:25 PM
Banned by request

Except that happens a lot less. You use a digital code, that’s not a guarantee it’s yours for life. They can revoke anytime should they find a reason to make more money from it. And again, no one - save for a very small percentage of people - spend their time doing this.
Old 08-03-19, 11:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
I have an inventory of all my digital collection. I started it when CinemaNOW went down and I lost some titles including a few UV licenses. Every purchase or code redemption is checked and catalogued.
​​​​​​
I check every connected service upon purchase or code redemption to ensure the right title and resolution is transferred. This is also catalogued and any issue is immediately turned to a help desk ticket with the appropriate service or services.

When I entered codes I didn't always focus on a single provider but most times instead redeemed with where the insert directed me. So my UV collection was mixed VUDU and other current or previous providers. Before MA, I redeemed every code at the UV provider and also tried it on iTunes. This meant multiple redeem titles were in both UV and iTunes ecosystem. Then when MA came around these titles were inserted into MA from both VUDU (either direct from or ported via UV) and iTunes.

In the case of the MA mixup with erroneous refund requests, any UV title not originally sourced from VUDU that flowed through UV had a potential to have a refund request sent from VUDU to MA in essence removing the movie from MA while yet still owning it in UV and VUDU. In my case cumulatively from the 4 times this happened, if memory serves me, I had over 80 refund requests sent to MA. Fortunately the multiple redeems from iTunes/FandangoNow as well as the upgrades to HD that MA provided when MA first launched kept many of those from being removed. I would have to confirm but if memory serves, I had over 40 movies incorrectly removed from MA. Which using Transaction history I was able to see the titles that VUDU was sending as refund requests to MA. Now the transaction history did not show a removal but did list a title on the affected dates from VUDU that I had in my inventory spreadsheet yet was removed from MA.

I immediately asked MA for help who sent me to VUDU who sent me to UV who sent me back to VUDU who said things like linking MA directly to the Studios (which isn't even possible). After over 1 month of back and forth with all help desks and still missing, I reached out directly to the studios. They helped me with replacement codes after I sent screenshots and pictures of discs and former redemption codes.

Then it happened again. I again reached out to the studios. They helped as they could and I ended up with just 4 movies still removed from MA.

My reason for being this diligent is that we paid for these codes with our disc purchases and spent time building our collection in expectations of having it available in the most places possible so we can enjoy it for years to come. The thought of having items erroneously removed was like someone coming into our house and stealing our discs.

​​​​​
I agree and wish I had gone that route. But the first few years of codes, I was ambivalent about them, even tossing some. Never really paid attention to the best ways to use them until fairly recently. Sure I’ve lost several with the various digital store closings, but I’ve never sold a disc I wanted to watch again, so at least I have a hard copy somewhere.
Old 08-04-19, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Just further reason not to abandon discs and "go digital", though I'll admit that I didn't end up losing anything- everything on both Vudu and FandangoNow are still there. I still lost one movie from Target Ticket after that and CinemaNow folded though, didn't pay anything for it but I'm still pissed.
Old 08-04-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree not everyone does an inventory. I started mine not only to ensure we kept what we redeemed or purchased, but also because I didn't want to repurchase something on a different provider if I already owned it on a provider.

​​​And even in the case of Disney animation, you may still own a title on VUDU, but the newer digital release will not be owned. The only way to watch the version you own is to scroll through your collection to find it as a search will only provide a result of the new version.

When I started our list, I copied the test from our Flixster library. Edited it to reflect the actual titles. Then everything new is added to the list within a day or two of redeeming or purchasing.

I use Movie Collector for our physical media. I am way behind in entering titles there. That is okay as the media isn't going anywhere. With the digital issues I have to stay on top of that. If we own a title physical and have catalogued it in Movie Collector, I add something to MC to show we have it digital as well.

I have thought of transferring the titles we own in digital that we don't own physical to our Movie Collector database.

I realize most people are not as in top of their collection. I also read many people don't really consume media by collecting anymore. It has become more a disposable consumption with streaming services.

​​​​​
Old 08-04-19, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

Not in the least, unless you kept track of every movie you bought or redeemed then checked those on a regular basis. And I don’t know of a single person who does that. Such is the digital life when it comes to stuff like this.
I do this, and track iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, Google and MA.
Old 08-04-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I believe there is a chrome extension one can use to export a list of your VUDU titles to a spreadsheet file. Someone more up on these matters probably knows.
Old 08-04-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I believe there is a chrome extension one can use to export a list of your VUDU titles to a spreadsheet file. Someone more up on these matters probably knows.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...gahemgmjfkdopc

Ashley on MeWe (formerly on Google+) has a site with a lot of info and how to track (see sidebar too)
But here is a list of sites you can use the Google Vudu Catalog addon at:
https://sites.google.com/view/digita...ing?authuser=0

I track mine a lot, but I don't really go back and look for anything missing.
Old 08-20-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1 of my 4 issues was fixed finally. For anyone who had any issues with UV refunds flowing through VUDU and removing titles from MA. VUDU did some fixes to everyone's VUDU account based on the UV library information they now have. They as well set it up to push all VUDU owned content again to MA.

Disconnect MA from VUDU. Wait from a few minutes to 1 hour (I did it immediately while others had to let I stay disconnected for longer). Then reconnect VUDU to MA. You will get every MA eligible title you have on VUDU re-inserted into MA. Any missing titles should be returned.

From what is being posted elsewhere this will do a new sync between VUDU and MA and help even those that didn't know they had an issue.

The returned titles will show up in the top of recently added titles on MA as well as the date of reconnect in MA transaction history.

Hope this helps anyone.

Now to hoping my 3 other issues are resolved eventually.
Old 11-23-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been a while but Tomb Raider finally upgraded to UHD on FandangoNOW.

Hiding out is still only SD at FandangoNOW as that was what UV last stated I own. Here's to hoping Lionsgate joins MA so that will upgrade.

It's been over 1 year and WB still has no solution to the 4 missing episodes from Batman the Animated Series.

2 out of 4 fixed.
Old 11-23-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by b2net
There are also Rumors floating around such as
  • Disc / Mobile to Digital
    • Some titles will no longer work
    • Won't work at all
  • Codes
    • Some tiltes will no longer work
    • No more multiple redeem
  • UV shutdown will trigger multiple refund requests etc which will pass through VUDU and remove all titles from MA that were procured somewhere other than VUDU (Target Ticket, CinemaNOW, Flixster, WB, Paramount movies, Sony Pictures Store, Sony Ultra, Kaleidescope, etc)
  • All UV titles will become "owned" at FandangoNow as if procured from FN
    • Some titles not offered from FN may not have licenses post UV which may be lost
    • FN may become conduit to MA after UV closes so titles flowing into FN will pass to MA instead of just titles procured from FN
  • FandangoNow is taking over Flixster's digital system
    • This could help or hinder what WB has in place with their Flixster/WB All Access system
  • Lionsgate will join MA
  • Paramount will join MA
  • MGM who only had UV via WB or Fox will join MA
  • More and more studios will join MA

Let's hope for the most positive outcome for all our Digital Libraries.
Looks like albeit unrelated, all FOX titles no longer work for D2D/M2D. Also sad to hear that D2D will no longer work after Dec 31, 2019. Which means M2D with the 100 limit will be only way to convert existing titles to Digital. Here's to hoping M2D still exists going forward.

Last edited by b2net; 11-23-19 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-23-19, 11:20 AM
Banned by request

And M2D dies as well...oh well.
Old 11-23-19, 02:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

And M2D dies as well...oh well.
wait, what?
Old 11-23-19, 03:03 PM
Banned by request

Bad wording. I was commenting on b2nets comment that he hopes M2D still exists going forward. But if it gets cancelled - which I think it will - then again, no recourse. Nothing we can do about that.
Old 11-25-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I believe VUDU is reshaping their service to make it more attractive to potential buyers. That included axing D2D. I assume whenever their support contract for the M2D ends, the program will be put out of its misery.