Deleted old wiki from another thread, moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

DC Universe streaming service

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
re: DC Universe streaming service

It says the service will offer the old George Reeves Superman show along with the original Wonder Woman and the 1990 Flash TV show. Now, I would be interested, time permitting, to watch some of those classics. I never saw the 1990 Flash TV show (too busy in High School), but I did watch the George Reeve Superman show intermittently as a kid in repeats.
Old 06-28-18, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It may be that price the first year or something to lure in viewers, but I expect they price it very closely to Netflix once they establish a user base.
I see a lot of people dropping off if it’s priced at Netflix price or above. It’s way too niche for anyone beyond the diehard fans. For me a lot of what I’d watch on there I own already. Some of the new shows might be interesting but I’d likely subscribe for a month or whatever just to watch them. I expect a lot of others would do the same.
Old 06-28-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I see a lot of people dropping off if it’s priced at Netflix price or above. It’s way too niche for anyone beyond the diehard fans. For me a lot of what I’d watch on there I own already. Some of the new shows might be interesting but I’d likely subscribe for a month or whatever just to watch them. I expect a lot of others would do the same.
If it had all the DC cartoons, I might bite, because I love DC and my kids would love to watch, say, Krypto or Legion of Superheroes or Brave and the Bold or Super Friends. And my Netflix is mainly used by the kids anyway.

I don't think that's the case, though.
Old 06-28-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The way I see it imagine the average consumer has Netflix or Hulu and is looking to add another service. Are most going to choose something with a lot of variety (ie. Netflix or Hulu) or DC Universe which is limited to one very specific thing? A WB service on the other hand that included DC content as well as their movies, shows, animation, and whatever new content may have a better chance. This is too pigeonholed to one thing. Also there’s no reason that all the DC content produced that they own the rights to shouldn’t be on this. Not clear if that’s the case or not but this should have it all or at least gradually add in everything.
Old 06-28-18, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
The way I see it imagine the average consumer has Netflix or Hulu and is looking to add another service. Are most going to choose something with a lot of variety (ie. Netflix or Hulu) or DC Universe which is limited to one very specific thing? A WB service on the other hand that included DC content as well as their movies, shows, animation, and whatever new content may have a better chance. This is too pigeonholed to one thing. Also there’s no reason that all the DC content produced that they own the rights to shouldn’t be on this. Not clear if that’s the case or not but this should have it all or at least gradually add in everything.
They sold the CW streaming rights to Netflix, Smallville to Hulu, and I'm sure the movies have some kind of first run contracts as well. Plus adding it in later will act as a hook to bring people back, I'm guessing.

Even the comics section I expect to be constantly rotating, even though there's no real need to.
Old 06-28-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can see things that are tied up in contracts. New movies maybe not right away but maybe six months or so after the home video release or something. Stuff like that should be the incentive to choose their service over others. Everything else though should be there.
Old 06-28-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk God

I could see Krypton from SyFy being here eventually. It’s a DC show. However, it’s still airing so DC May want to license it to a bigger distributor so season 2 gets some promotional push.

Once Smallville’s contract is up with Hulu, I also think it could head here.

The CW DC shows IMO will probably stay on Netflix because it’s a network/studio deal, so they’re each sharing the profits.
Old 06-29-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
If it had all the DC cartoons, I might bite, because I love DC and my kids would love to watch, say, Krypto or Legion of Superheroes or Brave and the Bold or Super Friends. And my Netflix is mainly used by the kids anyway.

I don't think that's the case, though.
They plan to have most of the DC cartoons. All the Timmverse shows will be on the service.
Old 07-19-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

The site will launch later this fall, and the company says that it’ll be competitively priced against services like Netflix. It’ll cost $7.99 a month or $74.99 for an annual subscription. Subscribers who preorder will get an additional three months for free.

15 months for $75 is not bad actually. But, it's a pretty big up front commitment for a pre-order.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/19/1...comic-con-2018

Like other subscription streaming services (including behemoths like Netflix or Amazon to the more modest ones like Stargate Command), it’s not enough to just offer a library of existing content. Original productions are what will draw in new subscribers and viewers. To that end, DC, in collaboration with Warner Bros. Television, will bring five original shows to the platform, in addition to offering a slate of existing live-action and animated works. DC says that while other major offerings, like the recent Wonder Woman and Justice League films and the CW’s Arrowverse universe of live action shows, are already on other platforms, users will still be able to rent or purchase episodes through DC Universe.

The company will roll its original series out over the course of a year. The shows — three live-action (Titans, Doom Patrol, and Swamp Thing) and two animated series (Young Justice: Outsiders, and Harley Quinn) — will collectively bring enough new material to the platform to release a new episode each week. Titans will lead the way when the service launches.

The service will also go beyond streaming video and include a massive comic book library. It won’t include the company’s entire back catalog, but it will be a select offering of 2,000 to 3,000 titles. These can be read on a phone, tablet app, or television. During a press briefing, DC representatives demonstrated the feature, which allows readers to display an entire page of a comic book or scroll through panel by panel. Moreover, they noted that while reading a comic book on a television screen might be a bit counterintuitive, it turns it from a solitary activity into one that can be shared by a group of people. Whether people will gather around a television screen to read a comic like they’d watch the newest episode of the latest hit television show remains to be seen, but the demonstration looked cool. Users will be able to blow up the individual panels of a comic to 4K resolution to show off the artwork in a whole new way.

Given the overwhelming number of streaming services out there already, users are hard-pressed to sign up for a new one. The quality of DC Universe’s original content won’t be known until they premiere, but it has some huge pluses in its favor. It brings the vast wealth of content — television, movies, comics, news, and supplementary databases — all under one roof, and it will hopefully foster a community that will continue to return for more.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-19-18 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-19-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That dude was way too excited about having comics on a tv. That sounds like it would be a horrible experience.

Are you done yet? Are you done yet? Can I turn the page now?
Old 07-19-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I have seen the future, and it is millions of individually priced streaming services.

Anyway - I'm interested. 75/15 is 5 bucks a month. Of course that's how they get you - I don't even want to add up how many of these things I'm already subscribed to.

That said, I'm interested in Young Justice, Stargirl, Titans, and some more. I've got a lot of DC stuff on disc already. It does seem niche compared to Netflix and Hulu, but then again, comics fans can be hardcore and comic IPs are big business. If some of the DC shows my family is watching move to it versus Netflix, I'll have to sub.
I wish it were Xbox One compatible though. I don't yet have a Roku, I stream mostly through Xbox or my TV.
Old 07-20-18, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Some 1st impressions of DC Universe from Comic Con today.

It's a 6 minute video and the guys in this video do talk about it, show some screen shots of the interface and such. They seem to have positive impressions of it.

Old 07-20-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

75/15 seems like a good deal, but they're going to be desperate to get people to sub early on, and to get them to hang on to the sub and not drop after they watch Titans or whatever. The comic part is the main draw to me and the "curated and rotating" selection doesn't sound promising, I think I'd be much better off subbing and dropping every once in a while, especially considering how much streaming content I already sub to.

The slightly irrational thing that tempts me is that I want to reward them for bringing back something like Young Justice, plus I'm a DC fanboy and want this to succeed, but otherwise I don't think it's a great idea to pre-subscribe to a service that isn't even out yet and may not be fully mature out of the gate.

Comicsbeat has some details on what's included from their time with the app:
http://www.comicsbeat.com/sdcc-18-ha...-universe-app/

The content stuff:

While titles will rotate in and out of the service on a regular basis, upon launch, fans will be able to gain access to full runs of series including Y: the Last Man, American Vampire, and 52. Not only is the service full of DC mainstays such as the aforementioned titles and books like The Dark Knight Returns, we were able to locate a variety of lesser known DC titles available on the app during the press preview, including an old Ambush Bug miniseries and Cosmic Boy. We didn’t see evidence that extreme deep cuts like Thriller or Hawkworld were available for download, which otherwise would have made this app a godsend for hardcore DC fans and a more direct competitor to Marvel Unlimited, but its clear that even with that catalog as it currently stands, there are titles sure to appeal to fans both new and old.
Then, moving away from comics and towards the TV/Film side of things, while DC did not show us any of their upcoming exclusive television content, they did showcase the variety of legacy titles that will be available to stream on the app from day one. Disappointingly, none of the Christopher Nolan Batman films nor any of the current DCEU film slate, including 2017’s Wonder Woman, will be available to stream from day one on the app. Instead, users will be presented with a healthy mix of older live action films such as the Richard Donner Superman titles, animated movies, and animated series like Static Shock. Streaming video was quick and painless with little outstanding to note but also little to criticize.
I'll still need a full list of shows/comics before I even think about subscribing.
Old 07-20-18, 09:10 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I signed up for the Beta for this streaming service but never heard anything about it. Are they going to still run a Beta before launch?
Old 07-21-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Their website says it will be Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV compatible, but nothing about Roku. Anyone know?
Old 07-21-18, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

The website does say
"DC Universe works on desktop and all your iOS and Android devices. It’s also compatible with Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV and Google Chromecast.".

Not totally clear what actually works on Roku, but I would assume at least the streaming.
Old 07-21-18, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I went ahead and signed up tonight for the special pre-order.

$75 for 15 months is roughly $4.99/month. That's dirt cheap. I think I can live with that.

Because I signed up for this service and it will include new HD streams of Batman: The Animated Series, I'm going to pass on the upcoming BD box set and watch it here. I wasn't really into comic stuff when it aired and I heard it's one of the best animated comic shows ever.
Old 07-22-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonyc3742
The website does say
"DC Universe works on desktop and all your iOS and Android devices. It’s also compatible with Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV and Google Chromecast.".

Not totally clear what actually works on Roku, but I would assume at least the streaming.
Hmm...when I was on a few weeks ago, the Roku text wasn't there. That's good news, as I have a limited number of HDMI inputs and don't want to get a extra streaming device JUST for DC Universe.
Old 07-22-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Hmm...when I was on a few weeks ago, the Roku text wasn't there. That's good news, as I have a limited number of HDMI inputs and don't want to get a extra streaming device JUST for DC Universe.
They make HDMI splitters.
Old 07-28-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd like to sign up for this but, without support for Xbox One or Samsung TV I guess not.
Old 07-28-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope that TIVO supports this service.
Old 08-06-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
They make HDMI splitters.
Stop trying to degrade my signal, man! Anyway, it was more about adding yet another box top device than it was about inputs.

I signed up...now just waiting for launch.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 08-11-18 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-08-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

DC Universe mentioned on their Facebook page a few days ago that the cancelled Constantine TV show from NBC will be on their service.

For those also unaware, the Constantine character has been revived and is now on DC's Legends of Tomorrow this upcoming season.
Old 08-08-18, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I hope that TIVO supports this service.
Highly doubtful this service will add app support for a DVR.

This is what their website says:

DC Universe works on desktop and all your iOS and Android devices. It’s also compatible with Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Android TV and Google Chromecast.

Old 08-08-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Highly doubtful this service will add app support for a DVR.

This is what their website says:
TIVO is pretty good about supporting the various streaming services. I expect them to eventually add it if the DC service isn't a complete failure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.