Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

What streaming services have you canceled?

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

What streaming services have you canceled?

Old 07-18-16, 04:38 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,482
Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

I tried the option with the most channels- of course most are still bug and commercial-infested, showing mostly reality shows and censored versions of movies. Picture quality was worse than Sling, and STILL no 5.1 audio.
Old 07-18-16, 06:23 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,295
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
About to cancel PSVue after trying it for a day- they want $44.99 a month for THIS??
Explain what your complaints are about it. I think it's fantastic for the price. A similar package with my provider is $70.
Old 07-18-16, 06:28 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 79,229
Received 3,711 Likes on 2,667 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Explain what your complaints are about it. I think it's fantastic for the price. A similar package with my provider is $70.
Have you not seen any of his ridiculous complaints? He hates everything about 21st century TV. Bitches and complains about network TV logos bugging him, commercials, promos and frame rates, 5.1 audio, proper aspect ratios. He hates cable TV because he thinks all TV should be free and commercial free.

When it comes to TV, he's the wrong guy to talk to.
Old 07-19-16, 06:07 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,295
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Originally Posted by DJariya
Have you not seen any of his ridiculous complaints? He hates everything about 21st century TV. Bitches and complains about network TV logos bugging him, commercials, promos and frame rates, 5.1 audio, proper aspect ratios. He hates cable TV because he thinks all TV should be free and commercial free.

When it comes to TV, he's the wrong guy to talk to.
Well when you put it that way....lol
Old 07-19-16, 11:19 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,482
Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

He hates cable TV because he thinks all TV should be free and commercial free.
Uh, no, I think TV should either be free WITH commercials, because those are what pay for it, or commercial free if I DO have to pay for it, because then *I* am who is paying for it.

Bitches and complains about network TV logos bugging him, commercials, promos and frame rates, 5.1 audio, proper aspect ratios
Exactly- there is NO justification for constant logos on the screen- I simply can't enjoy a show with them on (and in more than 20 years of doing this, there's been NO proof that they've done ANYTHING positive for any channels or networks- most people DON'T EVEN NOTICE THEM AT ALL, which shows how blind they are but also how pointless it is for them to be there), commercials are insulting and annoying and I should not have to see them in anything I'm PAYING for, and yes I want the proper audio, frame rate and aspect ratio on everything. Not too much to ask there.
Old 07-19-16, 01:59 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,392
Received 203 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

I've cancelled Netflix due to the grandfather price ending. For $8 I'm fine with leaving it go every month even if I don't use it much, but for $10, I'll leave it cancelled and only sign up for a month here and there when there's something original I want to watch, just like I do with HBO and Showtime.
Old 07-19-16, 02:42 PM
  #32  
RIP
 
EddieMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paradise, USA
Posts: 9,907
Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Uh, no, I think TV should either be free WITH commercials, because those are what pay for it, or commercial free if I DO have to pay for it, because then *I* am who is paying for it.



Exactly- there is NO justification for constant logos on the screen- I simply can't enjoy a show with them on (and in more than 20 years of doing this, there's been NO proof that they've done ANYTHING positive for any channels or networks- most people DON'T EVEN NOTICE THEM AT ALL, which shows how blind they are but also how pointless it is for them to be there), commercials are insulting and annoying and I should not have to see them in anything I'm PAYING for, and yes I want the proper audio, frame rate and aspect ratio on everything. Not too much to ask there.
So did you think with Vue that the logos would magically disappear? Or that commercials would magically disappear?
Old 07-19-16, 03:41 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,482
Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

So did you think with Vue that the logos would magically disappear? Or that commercials would magically disappear?
It would've been nice if they did! Since it was free I wanted to check it out no matter how bad it was, but oddly I still hold it to the same standards as everything else on the Roku. Netflix gives me exactly what I want with no crap for far less per month. I'd have more fun lighting $45 on fire than spending it on this. (Does cable even cost this much? At least that delivers far better quality.)
Old 07-19-16, 03:51 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,295
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Uh, no, I think TV should either be free WITH commercials, because those are what pay for it, or commercial free if I DO have to pay for it, because then *I* am who is paying for it.
The problem is you are absolutely wrong and your logic is as faulty as the shelves in your overcrowded apartment.

You are SUBSIDIZING the content. You are not even coming close to paying for it. Moreover, the basis for creating content is profitability - otherwise there is no point in creating it.

There is literally no counter argument to this. Anything you say will be wrong. Your view is simply erroneous. It's 1+1=3.
Old 07-19-16, 04:42 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,482
Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

The problem is you are absolutely wrong and your logic is as faulty as the shelves in your overcrowded apartment.
If I'm absolutely wrong, than why do I get over-the-air channels for free without having to "subsidize" them? For over 60 years they've been making their money by selling advertising.

Moreover, the basis for creating content is profitability - otherwise there is no point in creating it.
There's plenty of companies providing on-line content that are making profits and NOT showing commercials.
Old 07-19-16, 04:53 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 25,295
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Yup, DJ was right , there's no point in arguing with crazy.
Old 07-19-16, 07:53 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,848
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Originally Posted by DJariya
Have you not seen any of his ridiculous complaints? He hates everything about 21st century TV. Bitches and complains about network TV logos bugging him, commercials, promos and frame rates, 5.1 audio, proper aspect ratios.
Do you actually like these things? Call me crazy, but I have to agree with Alan. I tried both Sling & Vue & quickly asked myself, "People pay for THIS?"

But it's not even the services, but the horrific mess that basic cable has become. Even more so now that that Big Pharma has overtaken TV advertising.

Then I switch over to Netflix/Amazon & they have programming that far exceeds the dreck on basic cable, presented properly, and much much more enjoyable for it. For about $10/mo.
Old 07-20-16, 12:11 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,482
Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Yup, DJ was right , there's no point in arguing with crazy.
"Crazy" is anyone who pays for- uh, I mean subsidizes- and happily watches this:
 photo IMG_06901.jpg

or this:
 photo IMG_06831.jpg

or this: (the fucking clock on this thing was actually counting down in real time!)
 photo IMG_07031.jpg

or this:
 photo IMG_07211.jpg

or this:
 photo IMG_07481.jpg

interrupted by this:
 photo IMG_07371.jpg

or this:
 photo IMG_07331.jpg

or this:
 photo IMG_07291.jpg

or this:
 photo IMG_07531.jpg

or this:
 photo IMG_07621.jpg

There is literally no counter argument against this- anyone who subscribes to this type of thing is paying to be insulted. (All of these pictures were taken from PSVue tonight- and I feel incredibly dumber for it.)

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-20-16 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 10:04 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,795
Received 1,042 Likes on 859 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

^How about spoiler-tagging those multiple large images?

Comparing prices across so many TV services is just silly. Yes, I watch stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but network TV and cable are so different in their business models. I think it's generally assumed that Netflix and Amazon aren't making money on their subscription fees. By all means, subscribe to those services and enjoy them for the price, but I don't think it's worth saying "Such and such provides this for $X so everyone else should too." If you don't like services that feel they need to provide advertising along with subscription fees, that's a perfectly legit opinion. Just don't subscribe to them.
Old 07-20-16, 11:02 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,482
Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Yes, I watch stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime, but network TV and cable are so different in their business models.
And which one of these is LOSING viewers while the other is gaining them? Which one deserves to stay in business and which will fade away and die if it doesn't change something? Why is "cord-cutting" now a "thing" (with many people realizing what I did over 25 years ago, but having far more alternatives than there were then?)

If you don't like services that feel they need to provide advertising along with subscription fees, that's a perfectly legit opinion. Just don't subscribe to them.
Well, I don't. Usually when anything has a free trial, I'll check it out if I have the least bit of interest in it. (I still haven't tried the potentially good ones like Warner Archive and Exploitation.tv because I want to make sure I have time to actually WATCH those when I do that.) But my initial comment was "$44.99 a month for THIS?" and the general reaction was "How dare you criticize it, they need to make money and everything the "TV" industry does nowadays is great and you're crazy if you don't agree." I think the pictures here speak for themselves. And for the price, if you actually wanted these channels you're still far better off getting them from cable, as the overall technical quality is less than HD YouTube videos- not that that really matters.
Old 09-17-16, 10:45 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,848
Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Playstation Vue - I tried if for a month after the trail period, but I just don't get these types of services. It's like cable, only worse. Sure it's a bit cheaper, but the picture & sound quality not as good. It's clumsy to do simple things like change channels, and worst of all you can't skip commercials. After having the ability to FF or skip them for 30 years, this is unbearable.

But it really reminded me of why I cut the cord in the first place - programming. This stuff is awful. Kardashians, tiny houses, naked dating shows, just ugh. Even the rare show I want to 'DVR' is unwatchable because of 20/40 min ratio of forced commercials.
Old 09-19-16, 12:49 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner
 
Alan Smithee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 10,482
Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

But haven't you read the other comments? Ted Turner and everyone who runs those channels NEED money, and you owe it to them to give it to them AND watch the commercials they air too! And it's blasphemous to call their programming "awful"! (I might actually like the "naked dating shows", but ironically they CENSOR everything on those- kinda ruins the point, doesn't it?)

But sadly, I have finally cancelled Sugar Instant, which DOES deserve my money but I've had absolutely no time to watch it at all lately. I made it clear that was the main reason I was cancelling which is nobody's fault, but added that I sent them suggestions several times to add more classic movies and not a single one was added for the past couple years. When I have more free viewing time again I may try Exploitation.tv; AdultDVDEmpire seems to have the best of both worlds but it's REALLY expensive; I'd have to watch that practically every day to get my money's worth.
Old 09-19-16, 05:21 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 12,985
Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Exploitation.tv has really dropped the ball,lately. They seem too be adding 9 minute loops instead of full length movies(still once in awhile) and if I cancel another service ,this is at the top of the list.
Old 09-19-16, 06:37 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cobra Island
Posts: 17,132
Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts
Re: What streaming services have you canceled?

Soon to be Hulu. Still waiting on Ray Donovan season finale. Plenty of pissed off people on FB and all Hulu says is they are working on the problem.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.