Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

TCM and Criterion to Offer Streaming Service, FilmStruck

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: TCM and Criterion to Offer Streaming Service, FilmStruck

Is FilmStruck doing anything for Oscars season including TCM titles not released through Criterion, does anyone know..?
Old 02-14-18, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I did notice, and don't know if it's recent or not, but they have an "Editions" section of flicks that seem to be direct ports of the Blu-rays in their entirety. I just finished watching The Lodger and it was fantastic. It also includes the audio and video interviews along with Hitchcock's film "Downhill" as a special feature. I also noticed that they have Night of the Living Dead -- fully loaded on there.
Old 02-26-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Warner Bros. has joined forces with FilmStruck and added a few classic titles to the streaming service. They're also phasing out warner archive streaming and those folks will be grandfathered into FS.

FilmStruck Adds Warner Bros. Films As Warner Archive Sunsets

FilmStruck, Turner’s streaming service for movies, is partnering with Warner Bros. Digital Networks (WBDN) and adding some new features that will expand its film library to some Hollywood classics. As part of the venture, Warner Archive will sunset its service effective immediately, with current subscribers being transitioned to a FilmStruck subscription.

Beginning today, FilmStruck subscribers in the US will get hundreds of new movies and streaming access to films from the Warner Bros. classic film library, including Casablanca, Rebel Without a Cause, Singin’ In the Rain, Citizen Kane, The Music Man, Bringing Up Baby, The Thin Man, Cat People, A Night At The Opera, An American In Paris, and Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?

The addition of the Warner Bros films will spawn two new segments: TCM Select, a new featured collection offering iconic films from the Golden Age of Hollywood supplemented with introductions from TCM host Ben Mankiewicz and featuring rare archival content and bonus materials; and curated themes around classic Hollywood, including Rogers & Astaire: The Complete Collection; Neo-Noir; and a Star of the Week theme featuring Bette Davis, Hepburn & Tracy and Ava Gardner, among others.

FilmStruck will continue to offer US subscribers a streaming library of contemporary and classic arthouse, indie, foreign and cult films, including access to the Criterion Collection of classic films, as well as films from such indie studios as Janus Films, Flicker Alley, Icarus Films, Kino, Milestone, Zeitgeist, Film Movement, Global Lens, First Run Features, Oscilloscope Laboratories and Shout Factory, along with movies from Hollywood’s major movie studios, including Lionsgate, Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), Paramount, Sony, Universal and Warner Bros.

Subscriptions to FilmStruck are available in three different pricing tiers, starting at $6.99 per month. The service is available to stream on Roku, Google Chromecast, Apple TV 4th generation devices, Amazon Fire TV, web, iOS and Android devices. FilmStruck can be accessed via the Apple App store, as well as online and via Google Play for Android users.
http://deadline.com/2018/02/filmstru...ts-1202301824/
Old 03-01-18, 10:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Anyone with a Filmstruck account... how's the quality for older (presumably non-HD) stuff like some of Kurosawa's films that never got a Blu-ray release?
Old 03-01-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Good enough, especially for streaming.
Old 04-25-18, 01:48 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got this along with The Criterion Channel since the Warner Archive is dead, and my account has been bought and paid for the year. Really liking it. Kinda sick of the lack of older films that are on Netflix or similar services, and this should be a nice supplemental service.
Old 10-16-18, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the sudden shuttering and DramaFever and perhaps the end of VRV on the horizon, can anyone here provide me some reasonable assurance as to why this Warner move isn't going to mess things up for Filmstruck?

It's an ATT property, right? Is there some reason they wouldn't shut it down to leaving Criterion without a home again?
Old 10-26-18, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got this email form Criterion:

News About FilmStruck
We have some sad news to share: earlier this morning, Turner and Warner Bros. Digital Networks announced plans to shut down FilmStruck, the streaming service that has been our happy home for the last two years. Like many of you, we are disappointed by this decision. When we launched the Criterion Channel in 2016, we had two goals: to ensure that our entire streaming library remained available, and to address our audience in our own voice. We’re proud of the work we’ve done, bringing curated programming and the full range of supplemental features to the streaming space, championing a diverse array of filmmakers from beyond our collection and creating original content that invites you into exciting conversations about cinema culture.

All this is very new, and we’ll be sure to keep you updated as we learn more details. But rest assured that we are still committed to restoring and preserving the best of world cinema and bringing it to you in any medium we can. In the weeks ahead, we’ll keep you informed about the great programming you can watch on the Channel before it shuts down on November 29, and we’ll be trying to find ways we can bring our library and original content back to the digital space as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone who enjoyed FilmStruck, and we hope you’ll join us as we look forward to what the future brings.
Old 10-26-18, 10:07 AM

God forbid anything is available that is "niche" and not "mass."
Thanks, hand of the market! Please shove yourself further up there. I enjoy it really.
Old 10-26-18, 10:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 10-26-18, 10:31 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Damn shame. What are the chances that Criterion heads back to Hulu?
Old 10-26-18, 10:39 AM

First, Warner Archive, now Filmstruck.

Really wish Turner would launch their own streaming service. I know they have WatchTCM, but a dedicated service for TVs would be nice.
Old 10-26-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
I would like that but I think rights issues would prevent them from playing a certain amount of flicks through them.
Old 10-26-18, 11:03 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

They’ll land somewhere else or create their own app.
Old 10-26-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I didn't lose any sleep when Warner Archive shut down because of their poor selection of titles.

It's the first service I cancelled and I am still wondering why I ever signed up .

WB is going to have one big ass streaming service which should be able to handle just about everything under one roof(hopefully including DC Universe and Boomerang).
Old 10-26-18, 03:43 PM

Something tells me the Warner service will have a pathetic sprinkling of a few classic movies here and there like every other big company service.
Old 10-27-18, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Unless they get a big deal I would imagine,their catalog will be spread btwn Mubi,Fandor,Filmbox and Amazon Prime. Hulu and Netflix knowing they got Disney competition on the horizon will probably be looking to grow their kids/children titles rather then go for the Niche of arthouse customers.
Old 10-28-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
Unless they get a big deal I would imagine,their catalog will be spread btwn Mubi,Fandor,Filmbox and Amazon Prime. Hulu and Netflix knowing they got Disney competition on the horizon will probably be looking to grow their kids/children titles rather then go for the Niche of arthouse customers.
Don't forget that if you have a library card and if your library supports Kanopy - they have a shitload of CC titles on their to stream for free.

I had no idea that Mubi. Filmbox, and Fandor were even a thing.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 10-28-18 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-28-18, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Don't forget that if you have a library card and if your library supports Kanopy - they have a shitload of CC titles on their to stream for fee.
I thought Kanopy was free.
Old 10-28-18, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I signed up with Kanopy but my local library doesn't support it so I can't watch anything. The college I went to does, but since I'm no longer a student no dice on that either.

Considering that even on DVD, Criterion titles are priced at a premium, I wonder if they ever made enough money from them on any subscription streaming service.
Old 10-28-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I thought Kanopy was free.
It is. Fixed the typo.
Old 11-14-18, 08:49 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Date: November 12, 2018 at 8:44:29 PM PST
To: Toby Emmerich

Subject: FilmStruck

Dear Toby,

We know that Steven Spielberg and Martin Scorsese have been in touch with you and Warners Media Group about the demise of FilmStruck and have urged you guys to keep it going.

While it was not your decision, we would like to loudly echo their sentiments. The FilmStruck service was (IS) the best streaming service for fans of cinema of all kinds: classic studio movies, independent cinema, international treasures. Without it, the landscape for film fans and students of cinema is especially bleak. There’s a reason there was a huge outpouring from artists and fans over it being shuttered, they were doing the Movie God’s work.

We know one of the reasons that it has been shut down is because of an upcoming Warners streaming service, but really FilmStruck shouldn’t be a conflict of interest. In this day and age where there are dozens of platforms, curation of content is really important and FilmStruck was providing a service to both satisfy older fans of cinema and a younger generation of cineastes that will be making amazing movies long after we’re dead.

In an era of huge corporate acquisitions of cinema by communication companies- in a business that may render billions of dollars off a medium like cinema, we believe this is a gesture that is needed- a minuscule show of goodwill towards the preservation and accesibility of a tradition and a rich history that would benefit the public.

So we want to add our names to the petition started by Marty and Steven and want you (and Warners) to know that we feel equally strongly and would do anything to support the service being saved.

Yours,

Paul Thomas Anderson
Ana Lily Amirpour
James Brolin
Damien Chazelle
Alfonso Cuarón
Guillermo Del Toro
Leonardo DiCaprio
James Gray
Alejandro González Iñárritu
Bill Hader
Karyn Kusama
Barry Jenkins
Rian Johnson
Christopher McQuarrie
Reed Morano
Christopher Nolan and Emma Thomas
Gina Prince-Bythewood
Barbra Streisand
Edgar Wright
Old 11-14-18, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I received a $21 prorated refund today from FilmStruck. It's done.
Old 11-25-18, 08:18 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

If anyone doesn't mind sharing their Filmstruck password, there's a flick that's ONLY on there that I'd love to watch in the last 4 days before the service is dead. I'll send a couple bucks your way via PayPal if that's a reasonable incentive.

PM me if you can help me out.
Old 11-27-18, 02:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ Nobody, eh? only two days left... RIP Filmstruck.

Hoping the new Criterion service starts up sooner than later, I guess.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.