Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Pluto TV - "The best channel you're not yet watching"

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-23, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,102 Likes on 798 Posts
re: Pluto TV - "The best channel you're not yet watching"

Odd. I had the DS9 channel running in the living room on my Fire TV, while i also had it running on my computer in another room. The Fire TV feed was about 3 minutes behind my computer stream.
Old 01-30-24, 09:28 AM

Received 4,601 Likes on 3,118 Posts
Re: Pluto TV - "The best channel you're not yet watching"

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount Global‘s free streaming outlet Pluto TV has just completed a refresh of its brand and will be taking its first bow during the company’s Super Bowl broadcast on CBS, Nickelodeon and Paramount+.

The impetus for the move, insiders tell Deadline, is to position Pluto as the progenitor of free, ad-supported streaming television, or FAST. It also coincides with the 10th anniversary of Pluto’s debut as a beta website in March 2014. (Streaming, as we know it today, would come a bit later.)

The FAST category has mushroomed from humble beginnings into a multi-billion-dollar revenue generator, with an estimated 1,500 total channels jockeying for attention across the sector. Given Pluto’s foundational role in launching FAST, Paramount is looking to give it a boost with an ad slot during the Big Game broadcast on February 11.

Internally, Pluto is being described as moving into its third act, with the first two being its emergence as a startup and its 2019 acquisition by Viacom. Operating in more than 35 global markets, the service passed the $1 billion annual revenue mark in 2021 and has been a linchpin in Paramount’s overall streaming strategy.

The brand refresh supervised by the design firm Gretel includes a new logo, font, and motion graphics, all aimed at presenting a “bold and simple” look with cleaner visuals and a brighter palette. In one detail of interest to streaming industry and classic-Hollywood obsessives, the new font is tilted at a 22-degree angle. The number 22 is significant for Paramount, as its film studio’s longtime mountain logo features 22 stars, representing the number of actors the 112-year-old studio once had under contract.

Content discovery — a pain point with consumers and a buzz phrase in the world of streaming product design — is also an element of the new branding for Pluto. The proposition of the new image is to help viewers “find their orbit” on Pluto, which relies on familiar, lean-back features like an on-screen programming guide and a reliance on live, linear channels as opposed to on-demand fare. (Fox Corp.’s rival, Tubi is weighted toward AVOD as opposed to FAST.)

“We know from our research that more often than not, audiences come to Pluto because they want to feel a certain way. It provides a sense of ease and comfort among an overwhelming number of streaming and content choices,” said Valerie Kaplan, Global SVP, Head of Consumer Marketing, Pluto TV. “Our refreshed brand identity and design system brings to life that promise to our consumers that Pluto provides a world of premium entertainment that orbits around you. And it does so in a bold, modern way that is unique, recognizable, and memorable… something that can stand out from the crowd in an increasingly competitive category.”
https://deadline.com/2024/01/streami...wl-1235804670/
Old 01-31-24, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,134 Posts

“We know from our research that more often than not, audiences come to Pluto because they want to feel a certain way. It provides a sense of ease and comfort among an overwhelming number of streaming and content choices,”

Yep. It's the first place i go when i turn on the TV and select an app on Roku. I watch more PlutoTV than some of my paid streamers.
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Dan1boy (02-01-24), Sonny Corinthos (02-22-24), story (02-03-24)
Old 02-01-24, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

Fucking marketing people justifying their existence- yeah, I “want to feel a certain way.”
Old 02-01-24, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yep. It's the first place i go when i turn on the TV and select an app on Roku. I watch more PlutoTV than some of my paid streamers.
Same here. The car chase channel always raises my heart rate if I need a jolt 😉
Old 02-19-24, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting...I guess we'll see.

Pluto TV Is the Real Winner in a Possible Warner Bros. Discovery & Paramount Merger

Recently it was reported that Warner Bros. Discovery and Paramount are in the early stages of merger talks. Last week the respective CEOs spent hours talking over what a merger like this would look like.

We learned that Paramount+ and Max would possibly merge. CBS Sports and Warner Bros. Discovery sports would also merge.

With all this, there is one clear winner resulting from this merger: Pluto TV.

Right now, Paramount has one thing that Warner Bros. Discovery doesn’t (but is reportedly working on). A free ad-supported streaming service. A merger with Paramount would likely result in Pluto TV being the new home for a huge catalog of movies and TV shows from Warner Bros. Discovery.

Bringing these two companies together would offer a massive amount of content on Pluto TV that competitors like Tubi, The Roku Channel, and Freevee could not match.

f the new company would follow the current Pluto TV strategy, it would likely mean exclusive content from Max, including full seasons of Max originals would come to Pluto TV to promote Max.

Paramount currently uses Pluto TV not only to generate ad revenue but also to promote Paramount+ to drive subscriptions. To do this, Paramount often puts full seasons or first episodes of a new season on Pluto TV to attract potential paying customers to Paramount+.

For all the winners out there from this potential merger, Pluto TV may be the biggest and may be one of the services Warner Bros. Discovery is most interested in.
Old 02-19-24, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

The guy from Cord Cutters(YouTube) was saying this morning that Peacock and Paramount Plus might work together seemingly ending the other rumors.
Old 02-19-24, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Me too.

I have Pluto trimmed down to <20 channels on my Fire TV, Gives me some choices from channels I am most interested in. I can watch a classic sitcom or a drama or a movie.

I don't mind ads, but the repetition of ads is a problem
Old 02-19-24, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

I like these FAST services in general. I think Pluto is probably the best maintained overall but I recently discovered the TNBC channel on Freevee and have been binging Weird Science The TV series all weekend
Old 03-20-24, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

been enjoying the Universal Monsters channel.
Old 03-30-24, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like they removed The Andy Griffith Show channel. That really was my "go to" for sitting down and turning on some comfort watch TV. IDK what I'll do now.
The following users liked this post:
story (03-30-24)
Old 03-30-24, 01:22 PM

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Uh-oh. My go-to background show on Pluto TV is Matlock. Hopefully, they don't purge all of the Andy Griffith shows!
Old 03-30-24, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Shit! I may as well delete the app if Andy is off.

Edit. Just checked Roku and phone app and Andy is showing on both.
The following 2 users liked this post by stingermck:
Sonny Corinthos (04-08-24), story (03-30-24)
Old 03-30-24, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Received 708 Likes on 469 Posts

Yep, and it's in the browser site too.
Old 03-30-24, 09:23 PM

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,141 Posts

For me, as well. Andy is safe!
Old 03-31-24, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, the Andy channel is back, but it really was gone for a couple/few days.
Old 04-02-24, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do they rotate channels?
Old 04-02-24, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do they rotate channels?
They do add and remove channels, so maybe it was removed in error.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (04-03-24)
Old 04-07-24, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The gave Star Trek DS9 its own channel
Old 04-07-24, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does anyone know if the PlutoTV channels are the same on every platform? For instance, are there any channels that on the PlutoTV website that aren't on their Roku app or a smart TV?

I googled but although the answers suggest a slight difference, almost all the answers were 1-2 years old. So I guess im wondering if that's changed.
Old 04-08-24, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

My go to for background noise is TAGS. I have seen each episode dozens of times, but you just can't go wrong with Andy!