Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Old 12-11-15, 09:35 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Johnny Zhivago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Korova Milkbar
Posts: 5,435
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Question... Anyone know if Starz (or Showtime or Shudder) crops their Scope films to 16x9 or are they OAR?
Old 12-15-15, 11:26 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For the movie channels, usually the answer is yes, but I have found a few exceptions here and there. Generally speaking though, assume that the movie is cropped.
Old 12-16-15, 12:48 AM
  #28  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 12,426
Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Question... Anyone know if Starz (or Showtime or Shudder) crops their Scope films to 16x9 or are they OAR?
Shudder doesn't do any cropping. But they don't always have an OAR video. It depends on what they get from the studios.

Most movies are HD OAR and look really good. But some don't. For example, An American Werewolf In London looks like a Fullscreen VHS video. Although, Amazon has the HD OAR version. So if you subscribe through them, you'll have access to that video.
Old 12-16-15, 10:12 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Johnny Zhivago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Korova Milkbar
Posts: 5,435
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Cool... Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-16-15, 11:39 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,846
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Showtime always seems to use OAR too. Not so much the rest of the premium channels.
Old 12-18-15, 11:12 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Widescreen TVs should've marked the end of all of this cropping BS, but alas, it was not to be.
Old 12-23-15, 03:03 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 18,207
Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

I did this for myself so I'd figure I'd post it here


The # of days each Amazon add-on subscription free trials give you. You can spend 330 days or almost a whole year getting free content.

Showtime 7
Starz 7
Comedy Central Stand-Up 7
Tribeca Shortlist 14
Acorn 30
Lifetime 7
Gaia 7
DramaFever 7
Earth 7
Shudder 14
Doc Club 30
CuriosityStream 30
Quello Concerts 7
ScreenJunkies 7
Dove Channel 7
Contv 7
IndieFlix Shorts 30
NatureVision 14
Docurama 7
Urban Movie Channel 14
Daring Docs 7
Monsters and Nightmares 14
Fear Factory 7
Dox 14
Warriors and Gangsters 14
CineFest 14

(I didn't include the following because they're not really movie/TV/docs/etc.)


HooplaKidz 7
AcaciaTV (workouts) 10
Qello Concerts 7 1544 concerts available
RingTV 7 Only 4 hrs and 15 mins of fights available.

RingTV Doesn't even have enough for a 7-day trial. Weird that they'd roll it out with that little content.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-23-15 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-23-15, 05:13 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,521
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Originally Posted by Eddie W
Now it's time for Amazon to offer a monthly streaming-only plan & separate from the $100/annual that includes shipping, music, and Kindle books.
Given that Amazon Prime as it is works out to $8.33 a month, good luck getting a separate streaming-only plan for less than that.
Old 12-23-15, 07:38 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 75,564
Received 6,145 Likes on 4,180 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

I could have sworn I read that you could use Showtime Anywhere app once you pay for this Amazon Add-on service, but it looks like I can only access Showtime through the Amazon Video app. Is that correct?
Old 12-23-15, 09:32 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,426
Received 548 Likes on 401 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Originally Posted by Decker
I could have sworn I read that you could use Showtime Anywhere app once you pay for this Amazon Add-on service, but it looks like I can only access Showtime through the Amazon Video app. Is that correct?
I know with the Showtime add-on service for Hulu you access it through the Hulu app (I have it) maybe the amazon one is the same way.
Old 12-25-15, 08:24 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,005
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Does showtime, starz & qello show up in 1080p video with 5.1 sound?
Old 12-25-15, 03:22 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GatorDeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The "Real" Vice City
Posts: 18,207
Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

I would think it's the same as Prime. You use the Amazon Instant Streaming app and instead of Rent/Buy it shows the Stream Now button.
Old 12-25-15, 04:03 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,846
Likes: 0
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Given that Amazon Prime as it is works out to $8.33 a month, good luck getting a separate streaming-only plan for less than that.
I'm not looking for less, I was actually thinking the monthly program should be MORE, about the same as Netflix/Hulu. Personally, think the annual costs is a great value. But I think one of the reasons it's not as popular as Netflix is because of the upfront cost being the only option.
Old 01-04-16, 02:54 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,578
Received 1,009 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Cinemax doesn't have any over-the-top service yet, correct?
Old 01-04-16, 11:06 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
Cinemax doesn't have any over-the-top service yet, correct?
Nope. Their streaming app doesn't even support Chromecast or Roku. Even with some original content, it's obviously not making them enough on the side for it be prioritized much.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-05-16 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-08-16, 12:04 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,578
Received 1,009 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Nope. Their streaming app doesn't even support Chromecast or Roku. Even with some original content, it's obviously not making them enough on the side for it be prioritized much.
Yeah, I'm not surprised considering they have only a few original shows so they'd have to charge a lower rate than other channels. It's too bad because the shows they do have I'd pay something to watch if I didn't have to subscribe through cable. I wonder how much of a factor it is that HBO owns or at least distributes their shows once they get to retail.
Old 01-10-16, 05:26 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
Yeah, I'm not surprised considering they have only a few original shows so they'd have to charge a lower rate than other channels. It's too bad because the shows they do have I'd pay something to watch if I didn't have to subscribe through cable. I wonder how much of a factor it is that HBO owns or at least distributes their shows once they get to retail.
They're pretty much the only premium app which doesn't. The fact that the HBO Go app does work with it but the Max Go one doesn't is odd. I guess adding Chromecast/Roku support does cover the cost of the smaller amount of content, and the licenses for the movies can't help either. Unfortunately, Xfinity's iPhone app doesn't support Chromecast either, so I guess I'm destined to never watch Banshee and Strike Back .
Old 01-10-16, 05:32 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 52,578
Received 1,009 Likes on 835 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
They're pretty much the only premium app which doesn't. The fact that the HBO Go app does work with it but the Max Go one doesn't is odd. I guess adding Chromecast/Roku support does cover the cost of the smaller amount of content, and the licenses for the movies can't help either. Unfortunately, Xfinity's iPhone app doesn't support Chromecast either, so I guess I'm destined to never watch Banshee and Strike Back .
I really enjoy both. If you have Prime, you can watch two seasons of Strike Back and one of Banshee. If not, maybe check your local library.
Old 01-10-16, 05:36 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk God
 
DJariya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 78,869
Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts
Re: Amazon Video Add-On Subscriptions

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
They're pretty much the only premium app which doesn't. The fact that the HBO Go app does work with it but the Max Go one doesn't is odd. I guess adding Chromecast/Roku support does cover the cost of the smaller amount of content, and the licenses for the movies can't help either. Unfortunately, Xfinity's iPhone app doesn't support Chromecast either, so I guess I'm destined to never watch Banshee and Strike Back .
Are you borrowing a Max Go log in from someone? Why can't you just watch back episodes of Strike Back or Banshee on demand from your own provider if you subscribe to it? They are all there.
Old 01-10-16, 10:09 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Are you borrowing a Max Go log in from someone? Why can't you just watch back episodes of Strike Back or Banshee on demand from your own provider if you subscribe to it? They are all there.
Sister-in-law, yes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.