Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Microsoft Windows Media Center is Over

Old 05-04-15, 01:41 AM

Microsoft Windows Media Center is Over

Not sure if this belong in the Tech Forum as opposed to the Streaming Forum...mods please move if necessary. But since there are more than a few people using WMC as their home DVR solution, thought this might be a story of note. Even if it has long been assumed, it was never confirmed by Microsoft until now.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/02/w...enter-is-dead/

Microsoft: Media Center Edition won't make it into Windows 10

Rumors Microsoft would dump its Media Center feature have plagued the project for years -- in 2007 we worried if it still had a future, after it was largely pushed aside in Windows Vista -- and the company confirmed to ZDNet this week that with the launch of Windows 10, it's actually happening. While Media Center came to Windows 8 as an add-on and unchanged from previous versions, apparently "infinitesimal" usage statistics are the reason Microsoft is finally pulling the plug. Nearly ten years ago, the launch of the Xbox 360 suggested Media Center Edition had a bright future and a place in the living room. While the console went on to sell millions, HTPCs became an ignored and restricted niche for Microsoft, a missed opportunity after its hyped 2004 launch with Bill Gates and Queen Latifah.

For years it was one of the best DVR options available, giving users far more control over how they watched TV than the rest (remember how to automatically skip commercials?) but it hasn't been actively developed in a long time, and was even left out of the Xbox One. Microsoft decided to cut its TV takeover plans short from the original vision, using the Xbox One as an HDMI-passthrough device instead of trying to build a replacement for the cable box.

After a year of lagging in sales to the PS4 and having little success in getting cable providers to build streaming apps, Microsoft recently announced support for TV broadcasts via antenna would come to the US. Without DVR features and any ability to tweak the experience it's still unlikely to satisfy the MCE faithful, although there are other options.
Old 05-04-15, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Microsoft Windows Media Center is Over

I'm sure they'll have some sort of replacement eventually, as a for-sale add-in for the free Windows 10.
Old 05-04-15, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I ran a DVR box with the Windows 7 media center for a couple years. It was pretty useful software, and it's quite a surprise how few people even knew what it could do.
Old 05-05-15, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by funkyryno View Post
I ran a DVR box with the Windows 7 media center for a couple years. It was pretty useful software, and it's quite a surprise how few people even knew what it could do.
I still use it, although I'm having a hell of a time getting the DVR to "talk" to our IPTV (fiber) service. I always preferred its ease of setup and use to XBMC (and Boxee before that).
Old 05-07-15, 09:15 AM

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/07/xbox-one-dvr-rumor/

Xbox One rumor claims DVR is coming to replace Media Center

Even as Microsoft buries Windows Media Center, there's a rumor that it actually does have a plan for a replacement. According to Paul Thurrott's sources, the Xbox One will gain the ability to record live TV "probably this year." That's the kind of feature Microsoft originally envisioned for its all-in-on game console, but so far does not offer. The live TV tuner that's available in Europe and coming to North America offers some trick play pause/rewind support, but full DVR functionality would be a big shift. The PlayStation 4 has a DVR for subscribers of to the Vue TV service, but that's relatively expensive and only available in a few areas so far. Proper DVR support combined with that antenna (and hopefully, cable TV access for the people who haven't cut the cord yet), could provide a more flexible option. Of course, if anyone has the technology prepared to roll out it should be Microsoft, but we'll have to wait and see when/if it comes to fruition.