Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Older SmartTV? No YouTube for you!

Old 04-21-15, 09:22 AM

Older SmartTV? No YouTube for you!

Fortunately we have both Roku and Fire TV devices in the house, so this isn't a problem personally. But I can confirm that on our four year old Sony BRAVIA TV, the built-in app no longer works as of this morning. If I was depending on the built-in app, we'd be S.O.L.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/21/y...v-iphone-ipad/

YouTube app will soon stop working on older smart TVs and iOS devices

If you own a smart TV or an iOS device that's getting a bit long in the tooth, you may need to do some upgrading this week if you want to continue using the YouTube app. Due to certain changes in the app's API, it'll no longer work on a number of models released in 2012 or earlier, including second-generation Apple TVs, Panasonic TVs, Sony TVs and Blu-ray players, as well as devices running Google TV versions 1 or 2. You'll know you're affected if a video showing the notice above plays upon firing up the app, though most models released in 2013 or later are safe.

Now, if you want continued access to the YouTube app, you'll have to update iPhones, iPads and iPods to iOS 7, at least. Third-gen Apple TVs need a platform upgrade, as well, while Google TV version 3 or 4 devices need the latest app update available on Google Play. Just because your product is too old for upgrades doesn't mean you'll have to bid your YouTube binges farewell, though. The website still loads on Safari (even on older iOS devices) or on any smart TV browser than supports flash/HTML5.
Screenshot from our Sony TV this morning:

Old 04-21-15, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Older SmartTV? No YouTube for you!

Eh, I think this was the main reason most tech people recommend people buy dumb TVs and an external box (Roku, Apple TV) when SmartTVs were gaining traction. No point in spending an extra $200 on a TV for something you can't upgrade. I'd say I'm surprised the Apple TV isn't getting an update, but I'm really not, at all.
Old 04-21-15, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'd say I'm surprised the Apple TV isn't getting an update, but I'm really not, at all.
It'll be available on the ATV 3. You'll just need to update the ATV software. But it won't be available on 2nd gen or earlier ATVs.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/20/...-discontinued/
Old 04-21-15, 11:54 AM

I'm curious to know if the PS3 YouTube app is also killed by this. Was emailed by a family member with a Sony BluRay player this morning asking if I knew why his YouTube app stopped working. D'oh!
Old 04-21-15, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt it, the PS3 doesn't have the same power/API limitations that other, more specific devices have.
Old 04-21-15, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Still works on my TV, interface has always been awkward but it goes into 3D mode automatically for videos that have it- there's a few home-made videos with better 3D than some movies.

You really can't buy a "non-smart" TV nowadays, though many of the apps don't get supported for long. Still more convenient usually to fire up Pandora through the TV than go through any external device.
Old 04-21-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

YouTube knows what it is doing, the endless hardware upgrade cycle continues unabated. I wouldn't expect any built-in smart app to work beyond 18 months after purchase. The television manufacturers fully support this obsolescence, they only care about new TV sales.
Old 04-22-15, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a really, really, really low way of forcing people to upgrade. If the app ceases working on the $200 Smart HDTV I bought for my dad last year, I will not be pleased.

While I am not as anti-streaming as Alan it is, I have always had concerns about utilizing a system over which the distributors have such a vice like level of control, and this is NOT fucking encouraging.

Works on my Sony BD player and Samsung Smart TV as of now. The BD player has trouble with the buffering for some reason though. Interface on the Sony still sucks like an industrial carpet cleaner though.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 04-22-15 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-22-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You have to keep in mind that YouTube is sort of a special case, because they are constantly adding new ways to advertise to the viewer and will not allow different versions of the software to avoid that.

Unless it's a DRM thing?
Old 04-22-15, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

I wouldn't say I'm "anti-streaming"- if I were, I wouldn't have a Roku or use any of the streaming apps at all. They have their place, but not as a replacement for a media collection. Dropping support for ANY electronics product is bad, whether it's a smart TV app or a Blu-Ray player (I've heard some older players can't play new movies because they need a firmware upgrade and the manufacturers won't make one for them.)
Old 04-24-15, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, poopy. I just looked and YouTube no longer works on my Sony BD player. (a BDP-S390) Granted, I haven't used it much lately, but there was a point last year when I discovered Norm Macdonald Live and it got a ton of use as I burned through every episode. Oh, well. I still have YouTube on my Xbox.
Old 05-01-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I dont have TVs that are affected, but what about casting?
I dont bother running the YouTube app from my TV as searching is tedious.
I use the app on my phone or tablet and click the button and it starts playing on my TV. Just easier that way.
Old 05-02-15, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Roku You Tube Channel search engine is 100 percent useless.
Old 05-02-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most are, even the website sucks at Channel Search. I use my phone and cast to my roku.
Old 05-16-15, 04:42 AM

Hello,

the reason that Google/Youtube has stopped Youtube support on 3 years old TV and devices cannot be technical. There must be commercial reasons behind this.

Please visit the dedicated Facebook page to join our efforts to have Youtube back on Sony, Panasonic, Apple TVs and Blu-ray devices.

Check the Facebook page: Youtube-must-be-back-on-Sony-Panasonic-and-Apple-TVs

www *dot* Facebook *dot* com *slash* pages *slash* Youtube-must-be-back-on-Sony-Panasonic-and-Apple-TVs *slash* 1603843943202567