Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

HBO GO Standalone Streaming Service Coming in 2015

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: HBO GO Standalone Streaming Service Coming in 2015

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I was under the impression that this is a live streaming feed of the HBO channel (presumingly the East Coast feed, but who knows). I'm not sure if it ALSO has a selection of episodes/movies like HBO GO or not.
That was a question I had as well. Whether it was a live feed or simply like other channel apps that just have multiple episodes of shows for streaming at any time. If they are going to charge the same amount as a cable subscription you should be able to watch new episodes live.
Old 03-11-15, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

I'm guessing they'll offer live programming. Assuming it doesn't crash, which is probably one reason why they are limiting it to Apple to see how it works with a limited subscriber base.
Old 03-11-15, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Initially, I was a little unhappy that AppleTV gets a three month exclusive window.

But the more I think about it, it will probably save me money. Instead of paying for three months of HBO NOW to watch Game of Thrones week-by-week, I'll just wait three months, binge and cancel. Depending on when True Detective comes out, I might hold off on GOT just a little bit longer so I can knock both GOT and TD out in a single month.
Old 03-11-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

The link provided to the HBO NOW/Apple site makes it sound more just like a version of HBO GO, without any live feed. If that's the case, it's unlikely you'll get to watch anything live - like boxing, Bill Maher, or some of the music events HBO has - although I suppose they could release series episodes at the same time they go live on the network, so you could still see something like Game of Thrones when everyone else does.
Old 03-11-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Initially, I was a little unhappy that AppleTV gets a three month exclusive window.

But the more I think about it, it will probably save me money. Instead of paying for three months of HBO NOW to watch Game of Thrones week-by-week, I'll just wait three months, binge and cancel. Depending on when True Detective comes out, I might hold off on GOT just a little bit longer so I can knock both GOT and TD out in a single month.
I had the same dislike for the Apple exclusive window but now see it as a good thing. My plan is to catch up on all my backlogged Netflix shows and when the window is over I'll be all caught up and ready for some HBO
Old 03-18-15, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea

I was so happy about this until I heard it was going to be released for those hipster apple devices only. Didn't even take the time to read up that it's only for 3 months.

I hope it comes to the Xbox one or just released in general to any smart device - but just like you, I will binge watch and then cancel. I'm hoping down the road "subscriptions" will become a thing of the past but not likely.
Old 03-19-15, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Where can you find out a list of all content that will be available? I have an iPad and thinking of signing up.
Old 03-19-15, 05:24 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Where can you find out a list of all content that will be available? I have an iPad and thinking of signing up.
It'll probably be the same content as HBOGo.

http://www.hbogo.com
Old 03-20-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Turns out Comcast blocks HBO Go.... that's annoying.
Old 03-20-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
It's device dependent, Comcast allows HBO Go access on Android, Roku (just added after 4 years of complaining), Microsoft platforms, and Apple platforms. It doesn't work on some built-in TV software or the PS3/PS4.

From what I've gathered, Comcast has to be "bought off" by the hardware company to ensure their customers get access.
Old 03-20-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's device dependent, Comcast allows HBO Go access on Android, Roku (just added after 4 years of complaining), Microsoft platforms, and Apple platforms. It doesn't work on some built-in TV software or the PS3/PS4.

From what I've gathered, Comcast has to be "bought off" by the hardware company to ensure their customers get access.
Ah, gotcha. It appears to be blocked on my Amazon Fire TV
Old 03-20-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, unfortunately Amazon hasn't paid em off yet and fire tv I guess authenticates differently than the standard Android app.
Old 03-20-15, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Is that going to change for HBO NOW? HBO advertises it as all you need is internet connection.
Old 04-07-15, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...source=twitter

Apparently HBO Now is now available on Apple devices as of today
Old 04-07-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Standalone service is called HBO Now? But no live streaming?
It will also work on the PC?
Old 04-07-15, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought they were having a live stream added.. Odd. I guess the only way to get that will be if you have a Sling account as well.
Old 04-07-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Standalone service is called HBO Now? But no live streaming?
It will also work on the PC?
HBO Now is only available on IOS devices for now because of the Apple exclusive. So no PC.
Old 04-07-15, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I just signed up and it is taking forever to access on AppleTV
Old 04-07-15, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the Sling TV Blog:

The rumors are true, and it’s not an April Fool’s joke: HBO is coming to Sling TV.

Starting next week, Sling TV will be the first and only Internet TV service to offer live HBO and ESPN. Sling TV will offer HBO’s linear channel, as well as the mountain of on-demand content that HBO provides on its other platforms.

You don’t need me to tell you what a big deal this is, both for us and for our customers: HBO delivers hit shows and movies that TV viewers crave, and with this addition Sling TV becomes the only streaming service that offers both HBO and ESPN without a cable subscription.

In addition to all the movies that HBO keeps in its on-demand rotation, from top box office hits to a broad spectrum of popular films, customers can watch both current series like Veep, Silicon Valley, VICE, Real Time With Bill Maher, Girls, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and classics like The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Eastbound & Down, and many, many more.

Best of all, we’ll be up and running in time for one of the most important TV moments of the year: the April 12 season premiere of Game of Thrones.

HBO will be available for $15 when customers sign up for the $20 Best of Live TV core package, and will be available on all devices that Sling TV supports: Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick; current-generation Roku players and Roku TV models; Xbox One; Android and iOS devices; and Macs and PCs.

We could not be more excited!

Stay in touch with Sling TV by visiting this blog, following us on Twitter (@Sling), and liking us on Facebook!

Roger
CEO of Sling TV
#TakeBackTV
Old 04-07-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I never really used HBO Go much when I had DirecTV. How long would it take Game of Thrones to show up on HBO Now vs watching the live stream on Sling? This is one of the only shows that must be watched live. I would not want to watch on Monday nights after the whole world spoiled it.

I'm leaning towards Sling because I don't have any iCrap. But am really not happy with the quality. The picture is kind of jerky & it doesn't seem to support 5.1 audio. But maybe they'll give HBO more bandwidth than HGTV......
Old 04-07-15, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

The episodes are up usually an hour after they air. I'm on Arizona time and usually at 8pm or so all the shows for that night are up on Go.
Old 04-15-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My damn Sony BD player doesn't have HBO Go, and my brother's girlfriend gave me her HBO Go password, so I bought a Chromecast stick. It's annoying to switch it out, especially since it won't frigging work with Amazon, but it would be much more tolerable if HBO wouldn't crop their damn scope movies. Seriously, it's 2015, stop it!

This is a smart move on their part, it'll be interesting to see how it goes for them. Streaming is mutating in all kinds of direction, it's smart of HBO to try something new.
Old 04-16-15, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7.8 million people watched the premiere of Game of Thrones live via the old fashioned way. I can only imagine the number when streaming numbers & people that watched via on demand come in
Old 04-24-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Got e-mail from Apple saying last chance for a free 30-day trial. I was holding out to get as much GOT as possible, but I guess I can't wait any longer. However, since I stream on XOne, PS3, Comcast, and FireTV, I'm not sure how I'm going to watch this. I have a phone but no iPad.
Old 05-23-15, 03:00 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Looks like HBO Now might offer some prepaid membership discounts. $100/year would be pretty good. That'll work out to a little over $8/month.

Hopefully these discounted plans will be available in a couple months when HBO Now is released on other devices.

HBO NOW Discounted Prepaid Plans May be on the Horizon

After going through the free one-month trial of HBO NOW, I decided not to renew my subscription, opting to add HBO to my Sling TV subscription instead. I’m not really an Apple TV fan, and I really just signed up to get a better idea of what they were offering.

Well, today, a customer satisfaction survey with the promise of being entered into a $500 giveaway for my participation arrived in my inbox. I’m glad I bit, because I came across some interesting information. Apparently, HBO is seriously considering the idea of offering prepaid discounts for its standalone streaming service.

The survey asked why I didn’t choose to continue service once the free trial was over. I responded that the price was the primary reason I didn’t continue. Then I was taken to the following screen...

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.cutcabletoday.com/hbo-now...prepaid-plans/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.