Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu -- News and Notable New additions

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-24, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Hulu -- News and Notable New additions

Walker, Texas Ranger is now on Hulu. But, it appears to be the original 4:3 formatted telecasts. Not the newly remastered 16:9 HD telecasts on Peacock and Roku

Old 01-30-24, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I removed Hulu Live from my account and they removed ESPN Add-on from my account but i still have access to the ESPN Plus website/App, when I click on the ESPN Plus tab on Hulu it said i have it on mine account but only can be accessed by a third party, anyone know why that is ?
Old 01-31-24, 05:42 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Hulu is set to begin cracking down on password and account sharing, following a similar move by Disney+.

The Disney-owned streaming service on Wednesday sent an email to subscribers notifying them of an updated subscriber agreement, one that explicitly bars sharing accounts outside of the user’s household.

“Unless otherwise permitted by your Service Tier, you may not share your subscription outside of your household,” the change to the agreement stated. “‘Household’ means the collection of devices associated with your primary personal residence that are used by the individuals who reside therein.”

The new agreement was dated Jan. 25, and says the terms will become effective on March 12.

“We may, in our sole discretion, analyze the use of your account to determine compliance with this Agreement,” it continues. “If we determine, in our sole discretion, that you have violated this Agreement, we may limit or terminate access to the Service and/or take any other steps as permitted by this Agreement.”

The changes to the Hulu agreement follow similar language in the Disney+ subscriber agreement late last year.

The move by Hulu and Disney+ to crack down on password sharing and account sharing was teed up by Disney CEO Bob Iger last August on the company’s earnings call.

“We’re actively exploring ways to address account sharing and the best options for paying subscribers to share their accounts with friends and family,” Iger said at the time, adding that “we will roll out tactics to drive monetization sometime in 2024.”

And it comes after Netflix has reported two consecutive quarters with big subscriber growth (22 million combined), attributing it to its successful password-sharing crackdown. Netflix’s clear success in the space has sparked competitors to pursue similar strategies, working carefully to identify accounts that share passwords, and to gently nudge them into subscribing, perhaps to the less expensive ad-supported tier.

Hulu, of course, was an early adopter to streaming, having launched in 2008. However, it never explicitly barred the sharing of accounts outside of households until now.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/bu...us-1235811936/
Old 02-01-24, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

Begins March 14th for both Hulu and Disney+. Already in effect for anyone signing up after new terms on January 25th.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024...g-on-march-14/

I never got any emails regarding this but I also have never shared either account.
Old 02-01-24, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I got three emails about this today. I have two residences that I travel back and forth between. It's been a headache with Netflix.
Old 02-02-24, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I don’t use Hulu outside my household. Hulu Live is already pretty restrictive.

But I do use Disney+ at my parent’s house when I want to watch a new movie with my dad (so I’ll not watch it at my house, but login to watch with my dad).

So yes, wonder how that will work out for “traveling”.
Old 02-03-24, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
But I do use Disney+ at my parent’s house when I want to watch a new movie with my dad (so I’ll not watch it at my house, but login to watch with my dad).
I've done the same thing. I would consider this fair use of my account... now whether Disney will agree who knows.

I have also taken my Apple TV with me and unplugged his and plugged mine in so I don't have to log back into apps. That might get around Disney if they gets too restrictive.
Old 02-03-24, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
I have also taken my Apple TV with me and unplugged his and plugged mine in so I don't have to log back into apps. That might get around Disney if they gets too restrictive.
The TV (or the apps) would report back a different IP address.
Old 02-03-24, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Dumb question but what if you stream through a VPN? Doesn't that give a different IP address every time?
Old 02-03-24, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The TV (or the apps) would report back a different IP address.
That’s fine. I should be allowed to stream to my device using my account if I’m visiting family.
Old 02-03-24, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

While the terms probably technically forbid it, I doubt they flag you if every once in a while you watch it out of your house, it's sustained, probably simultaneous usage from two different properties geographically separated that would probably flag you. But I guess we'll find out.
Old 02-04-24, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Dumb question but what if you stream through a VPN? Doesn't that give a different IP address every time?
Probably depends on the VPN.

Mine gives me a fairly limited range of IPs when I log in, like if I'm using Norway, there only seem to be two or three IP addresses it assigns me.

There are some VPNs that give you -- or at least you upgrade to -- a static IP.

I'd guess that the streamers would really dislike you viewing through a VPN, and would probably do everything they can to dissuade that. I've recently had difficulty using my VPN, or maintaining a connection if I can log in, from certain public wifi spots. It seems like they're somehow detecting that I'm using a VPN and not letting me log into the network or dropping my wifi connection after a few minutes.
Old 03-30-24, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Hulu Live now has MLB Network
Old 04-03-24, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Time to panic binge. Hulu original 11.22.63 is being dropped from Hulu after today.

It’s been out 8 years, if you haven’t watched it by now, you don’t care.