Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Streaming Talk
Reload this Page >

Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Old 04-23-14, 11:20 AM
  #101  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
BearFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Corinth, TX
Posts: 8,102
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Very cool, I have been wanting to watch/rewatch a few of those
Old 04-23-14, 11:51 AM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,310
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by Wolf359 View Post
Big news for Prime members. Starting May 21 HBO will release their catalog titles for members. Articles states pretty much everything older than three years will be available.

http://gizmodo.com/hbo-is-bringing-a...1566504724/all
Yep, this is great news for everybody, as Amazon Prime is available on the Roku, the XBox and other set tops...so you don't even have to own their new FireTV to take advantage.
Old 05-04-14, 10:36 AM
  #103  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Can anyone comment on the brightness of the Fire's Amazon Instant streaming? I've noticed using the Instant Video app on the PS3 the picture is noticeably darker than say watching the same video on my Kindle Fire. Thanks.
Old 05-04-14, 09:55 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 23,404
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post


I have a feeling it's just a matter of time until Vudu gets on Fire TV.
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Amazon has made it fairly clear they prefer Apple's idea of a closed digital ecosystem, eschewing UltraViolet.
Old 05-05-14, 07:38 AM
  #105  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,310
Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man View Post
Can anyone comment on the brightness of the Fire's Amazon Instant streaming? I've noticed using the Instant Video app on the PS3 the picture is noticeably darker than say watching the same video on my Kindle Fire. Thanks.
I don't use my PS3 any more (it's been replaced with an XBox One), but I haven't noticed any obvious difference between the brightness of my Amazon Fire or Roku when using the Amazon app. Does the PS3 stream full 1080p or does it scale back to 720p or even SD if it can't get a good speed/connection? That might explain it.
Old 05-05-14, 07:53 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 40,327
Received 116 Likes on 96 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Amazon has made it fairly clear they prefer Apple's idea of a closed digital ecosystem, eschewing UltraViolet.
You're right, and I also don't see Vudu ever making an appearance on Fire TV for the same reason.
Old 05-05-14, 11:55 AM
  #107  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Rex Power Colt-Robot Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,033
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I don't use my PS3 any more (it's been replaced with an XBox One), but I haven't noticed any obvious difference between the brightness of my Amazon Fire or Roku when using the Amazon app. Does the PS3 stream full 1080p or does it scale back to 720p or even SD if it can't get a good speed/connection? That might explain it.
The connection seems fine. The version I bought is just the SD quality. Wouldnt think something like resolution would have an effect on brightness. I havent noticed it on my HD purchases now that you mention it. MORE INVESTIGATION IS REQUIRED!
Old 05-05-14, 01:16 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 23,404
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

The original PS3 units had very poor wi-fi chipsets, if that makes any difference.
Old 05-05-14, 01:21 PM
  #109  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 40,327
Received 116 Likes on 96 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

If given the chance (ie: mixed mode) the PS3 wi-fi chips defaulted to Wireless B. Not sure why.
Old 05-21-14, 01:53 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 49,885
Received 762 Likes on 464 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Quick question : Can I buy one of these things, give it to my dad for Father's Day and have him watch streaming things off my Prime account? Can I let him do all that without allowing him to actually accidentally buy things off my Amazon account?
Old 05-21-14, 02:17 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 23,404
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Quick question : Can I buy one of these things, give it to my dad for Father's Day and have him watch streaming things off my Prime account? Can I let him do all that without allowing him to actually accidentally buy things off my Amazon account?
Amazon allows one to force a PIN to be entered every time you purchase a video. Don't tell your Dad the PIN. Happy Father's Day, Dad, I don't trust you with my account.
Old 05-22-14, 11:39 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 7,112
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Ive been running XBMC on my firetv for the last couple weeks and its been working fine. i use a Flirc so i can use my logitech remote to control it
Old 05-24-14, 09:58 PM
  #113  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 720
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazo...e-trial-2014-5

Amazon is offering a 30 day trial of Fire TV for Amazon Prime members. It may not be for all members though. Amazon will cover return shipping, so it's worth checking out.
Old 05-25-14, 11:06 AM
  #114  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 40,880
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

how is this gadget?

was thinking of getting one for mom for her bedroom since she has nothing in there to stream and she really wants to see some Netflix shows...

can i literally just hook up to an old HDTV via HDMI and i am good to go?
Old 05-25-14, 03:41 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 10,123
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Does it have WWE Network or MinorLeague Baseball TV(MILBTV)?
Old 05-25-14, 06:31 PM
  #116  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,935
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
how is this gadget?

was thinking of getting one for mom for her bedroom since she has nothing in there to stream and she really wants to see some Netflix shows...

can i literally just hook up to an old HDTV via HDMI and i am good to go?
Looking for the same. Basically, between this and a Roku, what is more grandma proof?
Old 05-26-14, 02:16 AM
  #117  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Williamstown, NJ
Posts: 602
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Does it have WWE Network or MinorLeague Baseball TV(MILBTV)?
it doesn't even have mlb.tv
Old 05-26-14, 09:13 AM
  #118  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 40,880
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
how is this gadget?

was thinking of getting one for mom for her bedroom since she has nothing in there to stream and she really wants to see some Netflix shows...

can i literally just hook up to an old HDTV via HDMI and i am good to go?
anyone?
Old 05-26-14, 12:34 PM
  #119  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 35,475
Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
anyone?
It was answered earlier. Yes, it's pretty much that, adding it to your wifi network too of course.
Old 05-26-14, 01:07 PM
  #120  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 40,880
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It was answered earlier. Yes, it's pretty much that, adding it to your wifi network too of course.
it can be a wireless connection right? thanks again!
Old 05-27-14, 12:19 PM
  #121  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
DaveNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sacramento (The City of a Beer)
Posts: 7,112
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
Does it have WWE Network or MinorLeague Baseball TV(MILBTV)?
they're "working on" both. i cant wait for the WWE one (i watch mlb.tv through the PS3 in a different room). You can sideload android apps but the WWE network app, i guess doesnt work right
Old 05-30-14, 07:26 PM
  #122  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 35,475
Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

If you want a Kindle Fire HDX as well, they are currently bundling a Amazon Fire TV and Kindle Fire HDX 7" 16GB for $250, so a $50 or so savings.
Old 05-31-14, 04:41 AM
  #123  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,005
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Is there anyway of seeing whether a particular show is in stereo or surround? I find it odd that they wouldn't show this info upfront when browsing the titles available for streaming. After all, you can see what's available in SD/ HD but you can't see the audio format?
Old 06-04-14, 06:02 PM
  #124  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,370
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts
re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

Limited-time offer: Buy Amazon Fire TV, get a $15 Amazon Instant Video credit. Limit one per customer.

Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) June 15, 2014. When you purchase an Amazon Fire TV, you will receive a $15 credit towards purchase of eligible Amazon Instant Video titles. When your Amazon Fire TV has shipped, you will receive an email with a promotion code to redeem for your $15 credit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX5P8FC/
Old 06-04-14, 07:46 PM
  #125  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 35,475
Received 142 Likes on 107 Posts
;)

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Limited-time offer: Buy Amazon Fire TV, get a $15 Amazon Instant Video credit. Limit one per customer.

Offer expires at 11:59 p.m. (PT) June 15, 2014. When you purchase an Amazon Fire TV, you will receive a $15 credit towards purchase of eligible Amazon Instant Video titles. When your Amazon Fire TV has shipped, you will receive an email with a promotion code to redeem for your $15 credit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX5P8FC/
Make it a year of Prime instead and I'm in.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.