DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Amazon Fire TV Streaming Devices

It's a Toshiba.
Old 02-03-20, 07:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i know i asked this before, but is there anyway to shut off an Amazon firestick while plugged in HDMI of TV or because TV is on the firestick is powered always? i can put it to sleep, but it thats very temporary. i just want to shut off while tv is on and only on when i use. thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Shut off is not an option if the device's power cord is still plugged in. You'll have to unplug the power cord if you want it "off"

I usually put mine to sleep, and when I switch to another input channel (to use the BD player for example), I assume it's still asleep. Other than that, I can't tell if it's still asleep or not, since there's no light indicator on the device itself.

I understand when I switch back to the Firestick input, the home screen should show up right away. I selected the Firestick input, thus, it should "awake" from sleep mode.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 02-03-20 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-03-20, 09:00 PM

Yeah, figured. I guess ok. Just don’t want to burn it out or something. I guess it’s fine. When I hit inputs on my tv it shows all inputs that are active and that input called Firestick, almost always shows as active...
Old 02-03-20, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
It's a Toshiba.

Does that work?
The following users liked this post:
dvd-4-life (02-04-20)
Old 02-04-20, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Yeah I messed with that before and nothing happened ,however I didn't know if you shut it off then it might work.

I will try it next time I watch a laserdisc or DVD-R.

Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
RichC2 (02-06-20)
Old 02-01-21, 05:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

So, for the last month or so my Amazon Fire Streaming Stick (the regular one, not the 4K one) has been giving me problems when streaming Amazon Prime or IMDb TV (which is kinda lumped in with Prime you might say). Lately when I start a stream on either of these platforms the video immediately becomes jerky and jumpy and the audio almost always falls out of sync with the video. Usually if I hit the back button to bump it back 10 seconds then they sync back up, but then they usually fall right back out of sync soon after. This problem does not seem to happen on any other app, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Peacock, Disney+, etc all seem to play fine on the stick, and Amazon Prime seems to play fine when I use the TV’s built in Amazon app, so it does seem like the FireStick is the problem. I have made sure several times that it is up to date with software, and restarted the stick a few times which doesn’t seem to help. I also own a 4K FireStick that is connected to another TV, and that one seems to work flawlessly, so it seems like the problem is this one FireStick.

Does anyone have any other ideas?
Old 02-01-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Have you tried resetting it?

I had a different problem (and it is a recurring one) where the thing just runs out of space and no amount of deleting apps or anything will free it up. The only thing I could do was completely reset it, which is a hassle because you then have to redo all your logins and whatever. There might be something else that just builds up over time on the stick and their garbage collection or cleanup just doesn't do the trick.
Old 02-01-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Have you tried resetting it?

I had a different problem (and it is a recurring one) where the thing just runs out of space and no amount of deleting apps or anything will free it up. The only thing I could do was completely reset it, which is a hassle because you then have to redo all your logins and whatever. There might be something else that just builds up over time on the stick and their garbage collection or cleanup just doesn't do the trick.
You may need to clear cache for each app that you use to clear up storage.

Check out this video:

Old 02-01-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem I had was even if you added up all the caches and even deleted a bunch of apps, the storage did not free up. I have the same issue with their android tablets where an increasing amount of space is consumed by the mysterious "other" that cannot be erased by normal methods.
Old 02-01-21, 02:39 PM

^Thanks to both of you fellas for your input! What seems to have fixed my problem was clearing the data and cache from those 2 apps, which was fast and easy to do.

Thanks again to both of you!
Old 02-06-21, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by slybone
^Thanks to both of you fellas for your input! What seems to have fixed my problem was clearing the data and cache from those 2 apps, which was fast and easy to do.

Thanks again to both of you!
Quoting my own post to say that my audio sync issues are back with my FireStick, Found a few YT videos on the subject but none of the suggestions seem to completely fix the problem. I guess I’ll keep doing some trial and error and hopefully figure it out!
Old 02-06-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, further proof that it's not the apps that are causing the critical storage low problems that I have been having: upon a recommendation online, I deregistered and re-registered my firestick with my account. That freed up more than 2 gigs of space on the stick. That's doesn't seem so big but it only has 5 gigs of space total. Ridiculous. They aren't doing proper cleanup of some kind, maybe all those ads they continually push to the devices that you can't turn off.
Old 02-07-21, 06:41 AM

BTW, further proof that it's not the apps that are causing the critical storage low problems that I have been having: upon a recommendation online, I deregistered and re-registered my firestick with my account. That freed up more than 2 gigs of space on the stick. That's doesn't seem so big but it only has 5 gigs of space total. Ridiculous. They aren't doing proper cleanup of some kind, maybe all those ads they continually push to the devices that you can't turn off.
So please tell me, what does your FireStick do (or doesn’t do) when you run low or run out of storage? Does it operate more clunky? More freezing, errors, etc? Or does it just not work at all?

I’m curious because I think our problems might be more related than I previously thought. Just brainstorming.
Old 02-07-21, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slybone
So please tell me, what does your FireStick do (or doesn’t do) when you run low or run out of storage? Does it operate more clunky? More freezing, errors, etc? Or does it just not work at all?

I’m curious because I think our problems might be more related than I previously thought. Just brainstorming.
It does seem to lag a bit, but it is very noticeable because once it gets to below a certain percentage it'll start popping up with critical errors saying you don't have enough space. When it gets to that point, sometimes apps won't work.

Just check the storage that's used and if it's anywhere close to full, try unregistering (under account) then registering with your amazon account again. It doesn't wipe out any data besides stuff like "recently used" so it won't hurt.
Old 02-07-21, 03:21 PM

It does seem to lag a bit, but it is very noticeable because once it gets to below a certain percentage it'll start popping up with critical errors saying you don't have enough space. When it gets to that point, sometimes apps won't work.

Just check the storage that's used and if it's anywhere close to full, try unregistering (under account) then registering with your amazon account again. It doesn't wipe out any data besides stuff like "recently used" so it won't hurt.
I still have approximately 40% of storage space left, so looks like I don’t quite need to do that yet. Thanks so much for the info!
Old 02-25-21, 06:56 PM

Why will my Alexa cube not only turn on series x, but will launch a specific game with my voice. It can turn on and off, tv, audio system and cable box and change channels by saying name of channel. Not number, but if I say ESPN it changes to my cable boxes ESPN. Tv is Sony.

Why won’t it turn on my regular ole Sony Blu-ray player?

It’ll change to its input with voice, but I can’t find a command to turn on and went through Alexa app on iPhone. It’ll change input, but not on and off. Everything else fine. Why?
Old 02-25-21, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Why will my Alexa cube not only turn on series x, but will launch a specific game with my voice. It can turn on and off, tv, audio system and cable box and change channels by saying name of channel. Not number, but if I say ESPN it changes to my cable boxes ESPN. Tv is Sony.

Why won’t it turn on my regular ole Sony Blu-ray player?

It’ll change to its input with voice, but I can’t find a command to turn on and went through Alexa app on iPhone. It’ll change input, but not on and off. Everything else fine. Why?
Not to pry into your personal life, but I swear you used to post much more coherently before. Anything happen?

Read this page:
Amazon Amazon

Old 02-25-21, 07:07 PM

^ I don’t understand. Was I not clear and cohesive? I’m rereading and don’t understand your post.

And your link doesn’t even mention players, but just odd, since it’s a common piece of entertainment equipment. And it’s newer than both tv and audio receiver...
Old 02-25-21, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I don’t understand. Was I not clear and cohesive? I’m rereading and don’t understand your post.

And your link doesn’t even mention players, but just odd, since it’s a common piece of entertainment equipment. And it’s newer than both tv and audio receiver...
No, I mean you've been posting in fragments lately and not in complete sentences. You aren't clear at all. I can decipher what you're saying but I swear you used to post in complete sentences (maybe I'm mistaken).

Also, this is from that page. If you did a search on that page for "player" you'd have seen it. *sigh*

With Alexa on Fire TV Cube, can I control any other devices?
With Alexa on Fire TV Cube or Alexa Voice Remote (2nd Gen), you can also control compatible smart home devices like lights, locks, thermostats, and more through the cloud. Other types of devices including gaming consoles and media players (such as DVD and Blu-ray players) are not supported.
Old 02-25-21, 08:17 PM

But it says gaming consoles not and that’s obviously wrong. I can’t imagine why a simple Blu-ray player can’t be controlled.
Old 02-25-21, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

But it says gaming consoles not and that’s obviously wrong. I can’t imagine why a simple Blu-ray player can’t be controlled.
You can't understand why brand new devises might integrate with other new devices but older devices listed specifically as incompatible don't?
Do you understand why an old record player or 8 track players don't?
Old 02-25-21, 10:04 PM

Huh? I said my Blu-ray player is much newer than audio system and tv. Those work. The older stuff. The newer Blu-ray does not.

How am I not making sense? (Seriously I’d like to know so I can correct).

I know I’m confused, but I’m not sure if it’s me or everyone giving me this advice. My head is bursting.
Old 02-26-21, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh? I said my Blu-ray player is much newer than audio system and tv. Those work. The older stuff. The newer Blu-ray does not.

How am I not making sense? (Seriously I’d like to know so I can correct).

I know I’m confused, but I’m not sure if it’s me or everyone giving me this advice. My head is bursting.
It is definitely you.

It clearly says that the Cube cannot directly control game consoles and players. Why you choose to ignore that and continue to be confused is beyond me.

I understand that some of your confusion comes from the fact that Alexa can control your Series X. So let's think about that for a second. Your cube uses IR signals to control devices. You say you can say the name of a game and it opens up in the Series X. Does that sound like something an IR device (ie remote control) can do?

No, it's not. There is an Alexa skill that controls the Xbox. You probably even set it up yourself (I don't think it's on by default). That, and not your Fire Cube is what's controlling your Series X (the Cube is how you "talk" to Alexa but the commands are not going through IR... you can probably talk to Alexa through your smart phone and do the same thing). Your Blu-ray player probably doesn't have a compatible skill (or maybe it does, I have no idea, you'd have to actually look at the instructions or, I dunno, google it).

But again, the documentation clearly says it does not control players. If you want, go and buy a brand new player and try again though.

Apologies for the snark but c'mon now, blaming your confusion on the people who are trying to help you?
Old 02-26-21, 12:54 PM

I wasn’t blaming anyone. Believe me. I am thoroughly thankful to you and anyone else that helps me. You explained it can specifically do Xbox and not other consoles. That I understand. My confusion just came from the fact it can control all these things and not Blu-ray, but I understand. Thank you fuji. Sincerely and didn’t mean to blame anyone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.