Netflix - News & Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-16, 07:49 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,019 Likes on 851 Posts
Re: Netflix - News & Discussion

Originally Posted by RichC2
Request desktop view?
I'll check, but never noticed that option...
Old 10-02-16, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,071 Likes on 849 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I'll check, but never noticed that option...
It's in your mobile web browser options:

Old 10-02-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 629 Likes on 454 Posts

Yeh at Dvd.com login with NF password
Old 10-03-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts

Keep in mind sometimes when you request desktop version, you have to change "m" to "www" in your browser. Otherwise you see the mobile version as it would be viewed on a desktop computer.
Old 10-03-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeesh, I just now viewed my screenshot on an actual desktop, phone resolution is absurd these days.
Old 10-09-16, 12:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally tried Netflix streaming after being a DVD subscriber for many years, mainly to watch "Stranger Things", but I also watched "Jessica Jones". Both were great, but I'm dropping the streaming plan after my trial period ends because the shrinking catalog is looking terrible. Only 5 items in my DVD queue are streamable, so I'm going back to DVD-only for now. Some of the other Netflix series are interesting, but I'll wait until later and maybe just stream-sub for a month or two to catch up on those.
Old 10-09-16, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by meshershark
I finally tried Netflix streaming after being a DVD subscriber for many years, mainly to watch "Stranger Things", but I also watched "Jessica Jones". Both were great, but I'm dropping the streaming plan after my trial period ends because the shrinking catalog is looking terrible. Only 5 items in my DVD queue are streamable, so I'm going back to DVD-only for now. Some of the other Netflix series are interesting, but I'll wait until later and maybe just stream-sub for a month or two to catch up on those.
I used to be a DVD only subscriber, I added the streaming plan and ended up falling in love with House Of Cards and Orange Is The New Black. Found they have a lot of comedy specials. I couldn't justify paying for both the DVD plan and the Streaming plan (I also have cable with HBO, Showtime, Cinemax). I kept the streaming plan. Yes I have noticed the lack of movies that I want to see, but there is enough stuff to keep me.
Old 11-08-16, 02:42 PM

Received 543 Likes on 387 Posts

HGTV, Food Network shows parting ways with Netflix

Scripps Network Interactive -- the company behind HGTV, Food Network, DIY, the Cooking Channel and the Travel Channel -- is opting not to renew a current partnership deal with the streaming service.

In an earnings conference call on Monday, Chief Operating Officer Buton Jablin announced the company was parting ways with Netflix at the close of 2016.

“We assessed and analyzed the S-VOD [streaming video-on-demand] universe and have made the strategic decision not to extend our S-VOD agreement with Netflix past the end of this year,” Jablin said. “In the end, it is really not the kind of dual revenue model that best monetizes our content over the long-term.”

A source told FOX411 the move means no new episodes of Scripps shows will be added to Netflix and shows currently on the streaming service will no longer be available.
Old 11-11-16, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,923 Likes on 2,799 Posts

^^^ To be honest, not a huge loss for Netflix.

Regarding Travel channel content, they've already pulled practically all seasons of No Reservations and Andrew Zimmern's shows. They only have best of collections and have not added any new content.

Don't really watch much Food Network, so that's not a loss for. I think Scripps is shooting themselves in the foot by severing ties with Netflix. Where else are they going to get extra revenue for their back catalog content? Are they going to try to start their own OTT streaming service? Yeah good luck with that in this crowded market.
Old 11-11-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,324 Likes on 965 Posts

I like Food Network but, admittedly, don't watch much of it. It was nice for an occasional view.
Old 11-11-16, 04:26 PM

Received 543 Likes on 387 Posts

I like the HGTV shows. Especially the ones that are like travelogues (House Hunters International, Island Life, etc). And the Travel Channel had some interesting shows like Mysteries at the Museum.

I hope these shows will wind-up on Hulu or Amazon Prime. But I have a feeling that instead they'll try to build-up their own apps. Adding full seasons and back catalog to their current apps and generating revenue through advertising.
Old 11-17-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Bummer. I always fell back to those shows when I didn't want to commit to anything else.
Old 11-21-16, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 214 Posts

I just got a pitch on my Netflix screen for their 4K service. Is there any way of knowing what shows are offered in that format, -any way to size up what they're offering for the extra $2.
Old 11-29-16, 07:15 PM

I've never given someone access to my Netflix account. Is that frowned upon by Netflix? And how exactly do I do it, just give login and password? Won't they fuck up my lists and stuff? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-29-16, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk God

I've never given someone access to my Netflix account. Is that frowned upon by Netflix? And how exactly do I do it, just give login and password? Won't they fuck up my lists and stuff? Thanks in advance.
IP address where the login happens. Plus unfamiliar device if I had to guess.

If the cheap bastard won't pay $10 for Netflix, they shouldn't get a free handout.
Old 11-29-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You can have 2 people watching at the same time, otherwise they will kick off the 3rd, and you will have to pay more for up to 4 ppl.

Yes, you give your email and password, the other person can make there own que.

I hace 4 ques set up for my family and pay for the 4 at once streaming.
Old 11-29-16, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
IP address where the login happens. Plus unfamiliar device if I had to guess.

If the cheap bastard won't pay $10 for Netflix, they shouldn't get a free handout.
It's my dad, thanks. He just got a new smart tv and wants to try it out. He's in a different house if that makes a difference.

So I give login and password and will my watchlists and things be affected? And do I set up a new profile for him?

Thanks for help guys!

Last edited by OldBoy; 11-29-16 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-29-16, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix has had a hundred chances to get rid of "password sharing" and has publicly stated they were not going to.

They don't seem to mind, even if it's 4 people logged in from 4 IPs.
Old 11-29-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk God

It's my dad, thanks. He just got a new smart tv and wants to try it out. He's in a different house if that makes a difference.

So I give login and password and will my watchlists and things be affected?
Oops, sorry.

Your watchlists shouldn't be affected.

Couldn't your dad just sign up for the free trial to see if he likes it or not? If he likes it, then he can just stick with it.
Old 11-29-16, 07:44 PM

Oops, sorry.

Your watchlists shouldn't be affected.

Couldn't your dad just sign up for the free trial to see if he likes it or not? If he likes it, then he can just stick with it.
I think he'll stick with it. Especially his wife, my step mom. They just want to use for awhile and will probably pay later if it becomes a problem.

I don't understand, if he logs in as I would log in how is my stuff not affected at all?
Old 11-29-16, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

I think he'll stick with it. Especially his wife, my step mom. They just want to use for awhile and will probably pay later if it becomes a problem.

I don't understand, if he logs in as I would log in how is my stuff not affected at all?
The only way your watchlist will be affected if let's say you have Daredevil in your queue and you left off in the middle of episode 9. If your dad watches episodes 1-12 and then stops, you will lose your place in episode 9. You will have to do a visual search to find where you left off.

But, Netflix doesn't remove movies from your watchlist after you finish them. You have to manually do it yourself.
Old 11-29-16, 07:54 PM

The only way your watchlist will be affected if let's say you have Daredevil in your queue and you left off in the middle of episode 9. If your dad watches episodes 1-12 and then stops, you will lose your place in episode 9. You will have to do a visual search to find where you left off.

But, Netflix doesn't remove movies from your watchlist after you finish them. You have to manually do it yourself.
Ok, what is this add profile thing?
Old 11-29-16, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Ok, what is this add profile thing?
A new profile can be created and a new watchlist for someone else in your house.

You can create a "Dad" profile and he can search for whatever he wants & create his own watchlist, which won't impact your lists. That way he won't get ahold of "Scott's" list.

As already said, your subscription allows 2 simultaneous streams. If you're concerned about him potentially effing up your movie/TV show watchlists and your places, just create a "Dad" profile.
Old 11-29-16, 08:06 PM

Done. Thanks!
Old 11-30-16, 08:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 892 Posts

Offline mode launched! I've been wanting this forever!
PHP Code:
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/803962377997688832 
Airplane mode. Road trip mode. Stuck-in-the-subway-for-20-minutes mode. Your favorite stories are now available for download any time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.