Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

VUDU disc to digital service coming home

Old 01-08-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

VUDU disc to digital service coming home

Didn't see this posted..

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/v...ios-downloads/

So instead of taking you discs to WalMart, you can get them added at home. Same pricing. On your computers bluray drive. Supposed to go live later this month.

I know its not too popular here but I've really grown to like what ultraviolet is doing. My vendor of choice is VUDU.

Side story, I have two Xboxes, and had VUDU already installed on one. I installed it on the other today and they gave me a $5.99 credit. Pretty nice.
Old 01-09-13, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: VUDU disc to digital service coming home

So what happens if you want to do this and then sell your copy? Do you check that you don't own it anymore on the website? What happens if the buyer then tries to register it? And then contact Vudu saying they bought the DVD? (and then let's say they have proof like eBay).
Old 01-09-13, 02:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

uhh... no. Once you put the disc in your drive and the software verifies it, you pay the $2 or $5 for the Ultraviolet copy. That's yours forever (or as long as ultraviolet lasts, anyway). You can do whatever you want with your physical copy, as you're no longer legally obligated to keep it as proof or anything like that. This is one of those rare cases where the law actually works in your favor.

And yes, even if you sell that physical copy to a friend for $2 (or hell, just give it away), they too can pop it in their computer and "activate" the ultraviolet copy for $2 or $5.
Old 01-09-13, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that seems against everything that digital rights law has tried to do since.... forever. I thought at least it'd lock the individual disc ID once it was used once.
Old 01-09-13, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read that you'd get ten free movies via walmart.

Most new UV titles I've gotten has subtitles, though I don't think the ones "converted" to UV will have subtitles.
Old 01-09-13, 01:30 PM

don't throw your money away, this wont last and then you will have wasted your money, just rip the DVDs yourself
Old 01-09-13, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
I read that you'd get ten free movies via walmart.

Most new UV titles I've gotten has subtitles, though I don't think the ones "converted" to UV will have subtitles.
They don't convert anything, they are the same movies, just added to your collection.
Old 01-09-13, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Best Buy's CinemaNow program is beta testing this same service, though I've been unable to actually sign into it. For some reason, even though my bestbuy.com credentials are supposed to get me into CinemaNow, it won't work. I'm waiting to hear back from their customer service people about that matter. It'd be easier to just use Vudu, I imagine, if for no other reason than I've already been successful getting into their system.

I'm not going to make a point to get the digital version of most of my library, but there are still those odd titles that were only ever available in pan & scan DVDs with no bonus content. It'd be worth the $2 fee (or maybe even the $5 HD upgrade) to finally get to see those titles in their proper aspect ratio.