Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Old 04-01-13, 10:14 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
Got the e-mail that my Roku 2 will be getting a new UI.

Anybody know when the PBS channel will be going live?
I'm still waiting for my email on the UI. I even thought if I went to the menu item and attempted to update it would do so.....no such luck.

I'm also waiting for the PBS channel..............

Thanks,

Rick
Old 04-02-13, 11:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

So, I went into my Roku 2's settings last night and checked for a system update. Surprisingly, one came up called "New Roku Experience" or something like that. I got giddy, thinking, "It's here!!" only to find out that it's just a single-screen ad for the new UI, saying that it's "coming soon."

Old 04-09-13, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
So, I went into my Roku 2's settings last night and checked for a system update. Surprisingly, one came up called "New Roku Experience" or something like that. I got giddy, thinking, "It's here!!" only to find out that it's just a single-screen ad for the new UI, saying that it's "coming soon."

Yeah that pissed me off too.
Old 04-09-13, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Bought a Roku 3 since I had some gift cards for Amazon and nothing to waste them on.

Great little device, I wish the SDK was a little more indepth though - stuff like Netflix would really benefit from having the next episode play like it does on the Playstation 3 App (still the best version of Netflix out there, including the PC). Since you can develop games for the system, maybe more advanced apps are on the way. I played through a little Angry Birds Space (runs alright, very responsive with the remote) and You Don't Know Jack (which froze half way on me).

Otherwise I'm impressed with it, the search feature is fantastic. If I were Roku I would pull an Apple and find a way to patent that thing.

The Vevo TV feature reminds me that I miss old MTV but at the same time kind of hate popular music these days.

Pros:
+ Despite some animation lag from time to time, it's still a very snappy responsive device
+ Search feature kills the one that Google TV is trying to implement
+ Cool remote (Audio Port + Gyro) that uses RF so I can use it from upstairs and wireless HDMI to my TV
+ Lots of "Channels", easy to use interface
+ Dual Band Wireless is fantastic for streaming
+ PLEX Channel -- Could use a facelift but works great.

Neutral:
+/-: No Youtube, though VideoBuzz works great
+/-: USB Port, Support is a little spotty

Con:
- Comcast doesn't allow us to use HBO Go on the Roku -- Specifically the Roku, works fine on the 360 and PC, that almost seems illegal.
- Could more "Live Stream" Channels, there is an Aereo app but the service is not yet in my area.
- Some bugs here and there
- Channels are still very, very simple

Last edited by RichC2; 04-09-13 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-15-13, 03:58 AM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Roku is shutting down the VideoBuzz channel:

We received a notice from Roku management asking us to close down the channel as we don't own the content which is being streamed by VideoBuzz channel. As of now, we will be closing down the channel on Wednesday, April 17th, 2013.

We are discussing with multiple content providers to see if we can provide similar services/channels abiding to Roku Developer agreement. Please like our Facebook page and also subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated for our upcoming features and channels.

Once again thank for your overwhelming support for our VideoBuzz channel and we hope you will continue extending the same support when our new services become available.

http://www.videobuzz.us/
Old 04-15-13, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Roku absolutely needs to get this YouTube channel bullshit resolved.
Old 04-15-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I have a coupon I can use at work to get a Roku box, I think it'd be fun to have one, but the YouTube thing is a big deterrent. And our meager electronics department don't seem to have Apple TV.
Old 04-16-13, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just setup Twonky in connection with my Nexus 7, works very well for YouTube
Old 04-20-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Google owns YouTube and doesn't want to aid the biggest competitor to their Google TV. I doubt we see a legitimate YouTube option on ROKU.
Old 04-21-13, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Google owns YouTube and doesn't want to aid the biggest competitor to their Google TV. I doubt we see a legitimate YouTube option on ROKU.
Makes sense....still don't like the result however.
Old 04-22-13, 11:15 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly, I think it's less about that than it is about the likelihood that Roku doesn't handle ads in a way that Google approves. If Google can't deliver ads the way they want to on the Roku, then they have no interest in creating (or approving) an app with no ads.
Old 04-26-13, 02:45 AM

It might be another month until Roku 2 owners get the new UI.

Roku 2 menu update gets a new 'end of May' deadline in message to devs

We loved the Roku 3's new UI when we reviewed it recently and eagerly anticipated its arrival on "current-gen" hardware this month, but that may not be in the cards. Dave Zatz points out an email sent to Roku developers today that mentions "the new user interface introduced with the Roku 3 will be coming to Roku 2, Roku LT and Roku HD (model 2500) by the end of May." That could add a few extra weeks to the wait for current owners, but there may be a silver lining. The email goes on to mention that it expects channels to run the same, if not better (besides looking better) after the upgrade. We've contacted Roku to find out any more details, we'll update if we hear anything more specific.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/25/r...-in-message-t/
Old 05-03-13, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It might be another month until Roku 2 owners get the new UI.
My Streaming Stick was updated overnight.
Old 05-08-13, 08:24 PM

PBS and PBS Kids are now available on the Roku. You have to select your local PBS affiliate and enter your email address. I took a quick look through the offerings, and I'm not too impressed. Seemed to be a couple random episodes in each category. I didn't see any complete shows/seasons. And the video quality was SD.

I wish there was a premium option. I'd be willing to pay $10 a month for full shows/seasons in HD quality.

PBS - http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/23353/pbs
PBS Kids - http://www.roku.com/channels/#!details/23333/pbs-kids
Old 05-09-13, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
And the video quality was SD.
I think I was incorrect. Looks like they use adaptive streaming, so it takes around a minute for HD to kick in. If I had to guess, I'd say it's 720p. At least on the recent stuff. Haven't checked anything older than 2008.

I wish the bitrate was a little higher. I notice some banding and macroblocking. Especially on stuff like Austin City Limits where the lighting creates gradients. But it's not awful. Probably on par with HD Cable TV.
Old 05-09-13, 03:38 PM

PBS won't work on the old Roku 1 boxes. Roku posted some info on their forum:

Finally, we don’t comment on why a specific channel isn’t supported on certain Roku models. After all, the channels and the content are not ours. But there is usually a reason specific Roku models (usually earlier ones) aren't supported for a new channel. It could be the channel was not developed using the software development kit that works across all devices. It could be that the partner required a specific technology (e.g. video streaming format, ad service, closed captioning format, DRM technology) not supported on certain devices. It could be that specific hardware is required (particularly true for games). It could be that the performance of the channel just isn't good enough on specific models. The hardware of a Roku 3 is pretty different than the original Roku player.

We greatly value our current customers. I know probably every company says that. But word-of-mouth has been a huge driver of new customers for us. You love us and you tell six friends about us. We work hard to make the product better than the day you purchased it so you will tell your friends about Roku. Unfortunately, we won’t always be able to support all channels on all devices. There are other awesome channels coming your way that probably won't work on earlier Roku players. That is why we keep our devices affordable (sub $100). So when you decide it is worth an upgrade, it won’t be as big of a budget hit as upgrading, say, your TV, notebook computer or tablet.

Tom Markworth
Roku Product Management
[email protected]

FULL POST - http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php...art=45#p384497
Old 05-11-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Just setup Twonky in connection with my Nexus 7, works very well for YouTube
Thanks for this info. I had no idea about this, but set it up on my Nexus 7 and I can watch YouTube and even Burning Love on Yahoo on my Roku. Very handy.
Old 05-13-13, 11:49 AM

I know everything official mentions "by the end of May" for the UI update but I really wish it would hurry up. Still won't have faster Hardware but like the look of it. Now if I can find the time to watch the remaining Murdoch Mysteries. I just watched the first episode of season 3 (and all the previous seasons) so with 12 more for the season and 13 each for seasons 4 and 5..........I'll never make it. Not interested enough to lay out the cash for media.

Just rambling...........

Thanks,
Old 05-13-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bet they regret putting that ad up on the Roku that made it look like the release was coming in the next day or so. I suspect they ran into some last minute bugs.
Old 05-13-13, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
I suspect they ran into some last minute bugs.
Wish my employer would pull back sometimes and wait to release software until they shake out the bugs. I hate the release buggy now, fix later approach.
Old 05-13-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Wish my employer would pull back sometimes and wait to release software until they shake out the bugs. I hate the release buggy now, fix later approach.
Yeah we just roll out slowly and use the customers as beta testers. Saves us money in the long run.
Old 05-13-13, 05:45 PM

I haven't gotten it yet on my Roku LT. But I hear they've been rolling it out slowly. Here's a long thread from the Roku forum:

Have you got the new interface update yet?

You have one of the Roku 2 models, right? Because the old Roku 1 boxes won't be getting the new UI.
Old 05-14-13, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have two Roku LT's, one in the basement and one in the living room and the one in the living room updated today and the one in the basement hasn;t yet, which I think is weird. Love the new interface!
Old 05-14-13, 07:41 PM

The new UI should now be available. Just do a manual update.

Rolling out the new Roku interface

When we launched the Roku 3 in March, we also announced an entirely new Roku interface. The new experience has gotten rave reviews for its intuitive layout, quick reflexes, built-in search tool, redesigned Channel Store and home screen themes. We think you’ll love it.

We’ve begun rolling out the new interface to supported Roku players as a free upgrade, and we know many of you have been waiting impatiently! Today, we’re thrilled to announce that you can update manually right this minute by selecting Settings > Software update > Check now on your Roku player.

If you’re not the manual type, all you need to do is kick back and keep your Roku player connected to the Internet. Over the next two weeks, the automatic software update—version 5.0, build 804X—will roll out to the following supported players in all regions: Roku 2 XS (model 3100), Roku 2 XD (model 3050), Roku 2 HD (model 3000), Roku LT (models 2400 & 2450), Roku HD (model 2500) and the Roku Streaming Stick (models 3400 & 3420). (Note: Roku Search is currently available only in the U.S.) Unfortunately, new features and functionality sometimes require new hardware, and earlier Roku models cannot support the update.

http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/05/14...oku-interface/
Old 05-14-13, 09:50 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Got the update... Now my Roku won't connect to most apps or even the Channel store. I know its because I'm using a DNS rerouting service and clearly Roku changed the way the device connects to their network... I just don't know how long it'll take the DNS service to fix it.

edit: Fixed! The new interface rocks.

Last edited by Dan; 05-15-13 at 09:15 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.