Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-16, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by Deftones
fuck you Roku and your complete inability to get Google Play to work property. works fine over ethernet, but when you do wifi, it will cut out. then you get the "internet connection is not sufficient right now to play this video."
Google Play worked just fine with my Roku 3. Haven't used it in a few days though...
Old 01-16-16, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Google Play "works", but sound is only 2-channel and picture isn't that great. On the Chromecast it gets 5.1 sound with a better picture.
Old 01-17-16, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
fuck you Roku and your complete inability to get Google Play to work property. works fine over ethernet, but when you do wifi, it will cut out. then you get the "internet connection is not sufficient right now to play this video."

i guess it is my fault for stupidly trying to watch something on google play again. never again. i might throw this piece of shit out the window right now i'm so pissed off.
I've had this problem on my roku 3 since I got it. You have to keep trying over and over. I have full strength of my signal as well. Sometimes if you hit play, rewind, or forward over and over it will jump start it.
Old 01-18-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, it feels like Google did the bare minimum work to get it working on the platform, but would rather have people using Chromecast or Nexus TV to view it.
Old 01-22-16, 09:01 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I can't get Google Play to work over WiFi OR when my Roku is hardwired. It's junk. However, you can watch all of your Google Play stuff on Youtube, so I guess it's not a huge deal.
Old 01-22-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Roku 2 (a couple of years old) and lately it has been sporadically locking up at the channel selection menu at startup. The only solution is to unplug/restart the box, and then it's fine. Works like that for a few days, then it happens again.

Any one else experience this?
Old 01-22-16, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I can't get Google Play to work over WiFi OR when my Roku is hardwired. It's junk. However, you can watch all of your Google Play stuff on Youtube, so I guess it's not a huge deal.
I noticed that about a month ago. But is accessing via YouTube the same video and audio quality?
Old 01-22-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
I have a Roku 2 (a couple of years old) and lately it has been sporadically locking up at the channel selection menu at startup. The only solution is to unplug/restart the box, and then it's fine. Works like that for a few days, then it happens again.

Nope, but i've had similar issues on similar single board devices after a few years.
Old 01-22-16, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think this is a problem with ALL Roku devices, to be honest. I think it has more to do with your Internet provider than a problem with Roku (if your speeds are lower than normal or sporadic, this is likely to happen).
Old 01-22-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 599 Likes on 432 Posts

It the device. It completely freezes. My R2 does it too.
Old 01-22-16, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think this is a problem with ALL Roku devices, to be honest. I think it has more to do with your Internet provider than a problem with Roku (if your speeds are lower than normal or sporadic, this is likely to happen).
Fairly certain it's not my isp - my speed is consistently fast.

The problem is a minor annoyance, but I can live with it for now.
Old 01-22-16, 11:18 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Lots of people are having this problem. Something got screwed up with the 7.0 firmware update. They've been talking about it for a while on the Roku Forum.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90961

One of the Roku reps suggested a fix. It's somewhere in that thread.
Old 01-23-16, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Lots of people are having this problem. Something got screwed up with the 7.0 firmware update. They've been talking about it for a while on the Roku Forum.

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90961

One of the Roku reps suggested a fix. It's somewhere in that thread.
That is nine pages long, and it is not clear how much each of the suggestions helped, but doing all four has eliminated my problem. Under a different alias, I posted this TL,DR:
I think it is some kind of timing issue. I tried each suggestion as it came out, and I think they helped, but so did waiting a few seconds. After all four, I haven't had a problem in weeks:
1) Force connection and get build 9044 (or higher) if you don't already have
2) Delete any screen savers other than Roku default and clock screensavers; use default
3) Turn off menu sounds
4) Wait about 5 sec after hitting home before you begin to navigate.

I'm pretty sure I had one freeze after the first three, but none after doing all four. I'm very patience-impaired. I have to watch my watch or I'll jump the gun, but it is faster than a restart.

I'm not sure how long the critical wait time is, but 5 s works for me.
I recommend doing the first three, force one more restart, then begin observing #4 on the Home Screen.
Old 01-23-16, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Thanks for the suggestions TheBigDave and OldDude.
I'll give it a try...
Old 01-23-16, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So has anyone seen a PQ difference in watching movies via google play and accessing google play movies via the YouTube app?
Old 01-23-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

What's up with TuneIn on Roku? I've been losing stations left and right. They are still available on the internet but it's easier too listen through Roku. Looks like all the RadioTunes stations(are least the one's I've tried) are no longer available on Roku.

At least they are picking up more sports (with Premium TuneIn)on Roku but a lot of the music stations have a lot too be desired.
Old 01-23-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
What's up with TuneIn on Roku? I've been losing stations left and right. They are still available on the internet but it's easier too listen through Roku. Looks like all the RadioTunes stations(are least the one's I've tried) are no longer available on Roku.

At least they are picking up more sports (with Premium TuneIn)on Roku but a lot of the music stations have a lot too be desired.
There is a lot of change in stream urls, and TuneIn Radio doesn't seem to be keeping their databases up to date. Also different streamers have different apps and access different databases. A station I like can no longer be reached via Roku app, but can be via Amazon Fire Stick app. What is even more annoying is that I can find the stream url and feed it to my old Roku M500 Soundbridge (an Internet radio and audio device only, no video) and it works fine, but there is no way to feed a stream url to the TuneIn Radio app (at least for Roku). In other words, I KNOW the damned answer, it won't accept an answer.

Last edited by OldDude; 01-23-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-26-16, 10:27 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Roku has improved their search feature. It now searches across 25+ channels:

Acorn TV, Amazon Video, CBS All Access, CinemaNow, Crackle, Encore Play, FOX NOW, Freeform (formerly Watch ABC Family), FX NOW, Google Play, HBO GO, Hulu, Met Opera on Demand, M-GO, NAT GEO TV, Netflix, Popcornflix, Snagfilms, Starz Play, Time Warner Cable, Tubi TV, VUDU, Watch ABC, Watch Disney Channel, Watch Disney Jr. and Watch Disney XD.

https://blog.roku.com/blog/2016/01/2...ming-channels/
Old 01-28-16, 02:08 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I noticed that about a month ago. But is accessing via YouTube the same video and audio quality?
YouTube is 1080p I think.
Old 01-28-16, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thank you bud!
Old 01-29-16, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDude
I recommend doing the first three, force one more restart, then begin observing #4 on the Home Screen.
I'm experiencing the same issue with my 2 XD on build 9044, although I don't believe it started as early as November. I have yet to try steps 2 and 3 (and I have always used a different screensaver and enabled menu sounds), but following the "5 second rule" in step 4 seems to be doing the trick...for the past few days, at least. We'll see if I can get everyone else in the house to remember to count to 5 on the home screen.
Old 02-11-16, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just signed up for the trial of Sling TV and I'm loving it so far. Currently, I just get the local channels with Comcast cable for about $15 a month. This covers most of what I watch anyways, but I was missing weeknight sports, some better movie channels, and a 24 hour news channel.

With a couple ESPN channels, AMC, CNN and El Rey network (I love that one!) among others, this fills the gap for me. I've had no issues with streaming, although I would say the picture quality is a tiny notch down from cable--not too noticeable, though. If ESPN still had NHL, Sling would be totally perfect for me.

And wow, the consumer experience is so different from adding channels with cable companies. With Sling, it takes you about 5 minutes to sign up, you get the channels they advertised, and the price is exactly what the ad says.

With cable companies, either the "great deals" only apply to new customers, they're only good for year or two and the price skyrockets, the taxes, fees, installation costs add another 40% to your bill---or any combination of those things. Unless you want to get on the phone and argue for a half hour, at which point you may be charged something dramatically lower than what they were going to charge you. Man, I hate their business model with a passion.
Old 02-11-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Just signed up for the trial of Sling TV and I'm loving it so far. Currently, I just get the local channels with Comcast cable for about $15 a month. This covers most of what I watch anyways, but I was missing weeknight sports, some better movie channels, and a 24 hour news channel.

With a couple ESPN channels, AMC, CNN and El Rey network (I love that one!) among others, this fills the gap for me. I've had no issues with streaming, although I would say the picture quality is a tiny notch down from cable--not too noticeable, though. If ESPN still had NHL, Sling would be totally perfect for me.

And wow, the consumer experience is so different from adding channels with cable companies. With Sling, it takes you about 5 minutes to sign up, you get the channels they advertised, and the price is exactly what the ad says.

With cable companies, either the "great deals" only apply to new customers, they're only good for year or two and the price skyrockets, the taxes, fees, installation costs add another 40% to your bill---or any combination of those things. Unless you want to get on the phone and argue for a half hour, at which point you may be charged something dramatically lower than what they were going to charge you. Man, I hate their business model with a passion.

I love El Rey Network too, plus with the Sports package, I enjoy Outside Television.
Old 02-11-16, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I love El Rey Network too, plus with the Sports package, I enjoy Outside Television.
I may try the Sports Package at some point---$5 is pretty reasonable.
Old 02-20-16, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I had a Roku 3 and lost it in a move and I'm sure I'll find it eventually but after a couple of months of looking I replaced it for $75 through eBay, used (decided the 4 wasn't a complete step up and had more annoyances than featured over the 3, waiting for the 5 for an "upgrade"). If the other 3 turns up mom could use it

It's been a few years since I've used (pretty much since right after it (the 3) came out). What are your current favorite paid and free channels? I have Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, YouTube, Crackle.

I don't have a car to go to the gym and Beachbody has workout DVDs I like streamable through the Roku which was a huge selling point for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.