Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

you're not giving me a warm and fuzzy that plex functions near as well as xbmc on atv2
i have xbmc on my atv2 with a handful of plug ins and cant say i have ever had an issue with quality on any of them
Old 12-01-12, 11:45 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by twikoff
you're not giving me a warm and fuzzy that plex functions near as well as xbmc on atv2
i have xbmc on my atv2 with a handful of plug ins and cant say i have ever had an issue with quality on any of them
I don't use Plex much, so my experience with it is fairly limited and I can't really comment on the quality. I've got no problems with Plex. But I've got a Boxee which I'm perfectly happy with. It handles everything I've thrown at it and keeps my entire library organized. I love the Boxee. So I don't feel the need to switch to Plex.
Old 12-01-12, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

well, i would consider a boxee.. but sounds like boxee is in the process of destroying their device and market with their new strategy
Old 12-03-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Most websites that have video you would want to stream through Plex probably already have a Roku app. To stream web video to the roku through Plex, the video has to be picked up by your plex server and then redirected to your Roku. If there is a Roku channel/app for the same content, it would pick up the content directly from the web thus cutting out the middleman (plex) and usually giving a better quality.

I have an ATV2 with xbmc on it but rarely use it since Boxee Box handles the local file much better. With the ATV2 xbmc i would get buffering or files that wouldnt work on it but the same files would be fine on the Boxee Box.

I believe xbmc would run a lot better on a dedicated linux machine but then it wouldnt have Netflix or sites that use newer versions of Flash for streaming. I'm hoping one of these Android boxes comes out with a strong version of XBMC as well as apps for netflix, hulu, mlb, and stuff like that.
Old 12-17-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I'm hoping one of these Android boxes comes out with a strong version of XBMC as well as apps for netflix, hulu, mlb, and stuff like that.
the ouya is on my must buy and play with list, as soon as it comes out.
Old 12-23-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a XS for about 3 weeks and am really getting into it. One complaint I have is that I can program the remote into my universal remote because it is RF instead of IR. Looks like I'll have to pick up an older remote (non-gaming) so I can get back to one controller.
Old 12-23-12, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by chente
I've had a XS for about 3 weeks and am really getting into it. One complaint I have is that I can program the remote into my universal remote because it is RF instead of IR. Looks like I'll have to pick up an older remote (non-gaming) so I can get back to one controller.
I've got the Logitech Harmony 650, and it works with the Roku 2XS.
Old 12-24-12, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a Roku LT and hooked up Plex on my HTPC that I ripped all my media to (480 Movies, 78 TV Series). Since I already had set up my media using My Movies to stream to my laptop, downloading and installing the Plex server was a snap. It did take a while (8 or so hours) to read al the info but works like a charm. I love being able to watch all my media on my tv without having to hook up my laptop or turning on the Projector. For those who want to know, my movies/tv shows are a mix of Blu Ray, HD-DVD and DVD rips all converted to MKV, some as 1080p and others as 720 or standard def, but all keeping the high quality audio. I have a regular ATT home network and have had no issues streaming any of the content. May splurge and get an HD Roku but for now the LT works great. Love the different apps as well, Netflix, Crackle, Vudu and I am able to stream my podcasts as well with Revision3, Twit and Ted Talks. I may never get cable again. My LT also works with my Harmony 650.
Old 12-24-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone else having problems with the Roku today? Netflix, Rdio and Amazon are all down right now for me.
Old 12-24-12, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Anyone else having problems with the Roku today? Netflix, Rdio and Amazon are all down right now for me.
I was just coming here to ask that myself. However, while all my other channels are just fine, every time I access Netflix I get a "Connection problem" message. I also have a channel/app that is attached to my Netflix Account and it now tells me I'm not a registered user and it gives me a code; I successfully used the code to re-attach my account but when I use it , it tells me once again that I'm not a registered user.

At least its just not me.
Old 12-24-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Roku posted something on facebook a little while ago about a Netflix outage. They are working on it.
Old 12-25-12, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Apparently, it's a problem with Amazon Web Services.

Netflix Crippled On Christmas Eve By AWS Outages

Amazon AWS Takes Down Netflix On Christmas Eve
Old 12-25-12, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys recommend any particular private channels?

I really enjoy the UCTV, TEDtalks, FreeSpeechTV, Democracy Now, Smithsonian, and LookingGlass, so anything along those lines would be preferred, but I'm open to pretty much anything. I was hoping for a Current TV channel, but apparently that does not exist right now.
Old 12-25-12, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by John Slider
Do you guys recommend any particular private channels?

I really enjoy the UCTV, TEDtalks, FreeSpeechTV, Democracy Now, Smithsonian, and LookingGlass, so anything along those lines would be preferred, but I'm open to pretty much anything. I was hoping for a Current TV channel, but apparently that does not exist right now.
You'll probably like NowhereTV. It's got Current TV. He's got some other good channels like Archive.org, Ustream and Roku Newscaster. And if you're looking for adult stuff, click on the little fire clipart at the bottom of the page.

http://www.thenowhereman.com/roku/

Last edited by TheBigDave; 12-25-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-25-12, 11:24 AM

Also recently found out there's a Something Weird private channel. I guess you have to sign-up for a membership ($4.99/month).

http://somethingweird.digidev.tv/

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZU_uQUGMmfI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-25-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everything is still down this morning. Not to big a deal but Amazon needs to her their act together.
Old 12-25-12, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Dave. NowhereTV looks great. A lot of the content is on other official channels, but the CurrentTV stuff will be great. Sad there are no full episodes on there, but I'll enjoy watching the clips they add.
Old 12-26-12, 02:40 PM

Some good tips for new Roku owners:

Got a new Roku? Here are five tips to get the most out of your gift
Old 12-26-12, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
It would be nice if they would have the feature to automatically go to the next episode with Netflix. Hell, I'd be happy if it would allow me to choose the next episode without having to back all the way out to the main menu.
Late reply, but this was never a problem with my old Roku HD (N1100), which would automatically highlight the next episode. It has been frustrating me to no end ever since we upgraded to the Roku 2 XD.
Old 12-27-12, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by John Slider
Do you guys recommend any particular private channels?...
It is not a private channel, but the CNET channel is really good. I browse through the "newest" videos every day or two.
Old 12-27-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk God

got a roku for christmas.. setup plex.. and so far, Im pretty annoyed with it..
ive never had to name my files a specific way for any of my other players to pick them up.. but stupid plex is only getting a fraction of my files

is there any way to tell it to find all of my files and just list out everything... stop trying to scrub and look for specific crap

basically, i want it to list out all my folders, then from the roku, i want to browse into the folder..
folders; show1, show2, show3, etc..
filenames: 101, 102, 103, etc..
Old 12-27-12, 11:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had that problem when I first loaded up plex. Most of my files are show name, season, episode (S01E01, etc) but some just have 1x1, 1x2, etc in season folders cause I have My Movies also. Plex was able to find all my files, even those named 1x1, after I updated the library through the plex server, meaning I just refreshed it. It picked everything up on the second run. As for movies, if the movie is in a folder, the folder name and files need to have the same name (Folder- Goodfellas, File inside folder- Goodfellas.MKV). From the plex FAQ and forums, they say you need to have a file extension (avi, MKV, ets) associated with the name. But not all of mine do and they were read. I would recommend trying a refresh and let it run and if the files are in different drives, add all the folders/drives at the same time. Hope this helps.

Here is the recommended naming system but as I said, not al of mine are named this way and were read.

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Me...nization_Guide
Old 12-28-12, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk God

the more i played with it last night.. the more im remembering why i hated plex when i tried it before.
xbmc is at least nine bajillion times better
so far my review of this thing is that its ok for anyone afraid to jailbreak an atv2, but not even competitive with a jailbroken atv2.
Old 12-28-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

cant you just set the plex category as "home movies" (instead of "Movies" or "Tv Shows") and it just lists the files the by name? thats what i do for my "Misc" folder where i dont want to deal with name matching
Old 12-28-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

yea.. thats what i had to do in order to get them to show
in xbmc, it doesnt show any directories that dont have any media files... makes it much easier to skim through and see which shows i have unwatched eps in... i havent found a similar option in plex.
also trying to find a way to get rid of the icons/thumbnails and just have everything show in list view.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.