Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-14, 11:35 PM

Received 559 Likes on 395 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Dishworld is kinda weird, it says the English and Sports packages are free if you subscribe to one of their regular packages but those are in languages I don't understand? So I have to subscribe to a package I'll never see to get English and Sports?
There's a package for just the Sports.

http://www.dishworld.com/packages/sports
Old 02-08-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 189 Posts

Awesome, thanks

Trying to get mom to get rid of cable. There's going to be some upfront costs like $100 for a Roku and $50 for a good HD antenna but after that the monthly cost should be minimal, $9 for Netflix, $8 for Hulu Plus, $10 for this, maybe $20 more for a couple more subscriptions, so we're looking at $50 or so plus $50 or so for Internet should run $100 or so instead of the $140 she pays now and $160 that Cox is planning to raise it to.

Hey the Roku offer also applies to this so only $50 for the Roku if she preprays the first four months.
Old 02-08-14, 08:23 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats the lowest price point the Roku 3 has been at?

I have a Roku 1 in the living room and my wife won a Roku 2 which she has set up in the bedroom. I'm wanting to upgrade and get the 3 for the living room.

I'm in no huge rush and if it seems as if there is a point in typically drops in price I'll grab it then, plus I have $20 Amazon gift certificate to use as well
Old 02-08-14, 08:49 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 263 Posts

I was able to snag a Roku 3 for $79 around Christmas IIRC.
Old 02-08-14, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by TGM
I was able to snag a Roku 3 for $79 around Christmas IIRC.
That's the lowest it's ever been, and it was only for about 24 hours. From time to time it drops down to $89. You can often get a refurb unit for $70.

You can track the Amazon price history and get pricedrop notifications here:

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Roku-3-St...uct/B00BGGDVOO
Old 02-08-14, 03:21 PM

It's about time they've finally got 3rd-party themes implemented. I can't believe it's taken them a whole year.

Roku reveals plans for third-party themes

Roku's Senior Vice President of Product Management, Jim Funk, said at the Appsworld event in San Francisco today that homescreen themes developed by third-party developers is the company's latest ambition. Even better, the new themes are set to arrive any time now.

The basic Roku homescreen structure will not be changed, meaning the right-side preview and app tiles, as well as the left-side system menu, will stay where they are. The graphical portions of the homescreen, however, will be open for developers to tinker with, giving users different options to brighten up their television screens.

The third-party themes will be available in Roku's app store, where the developers can charge a fee for them (it isn't clear whether any will be available for free). There's no precise date on when the new themes will launch, only that it could happen later today or any time in the coming days.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.slashgear.com/roku-reveal...emes-07316187/
Old 02-08-14, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Trying to get mom to get rid of cable. There's going to be some upfront costs like $100 for a Roku and $50 for a good HD antenna
If your Mom lives in a major city, check out if she can get Aereo ($8/month). It gives you live OTA channels + 20 hours DVR space through your Roku. I haven't used it, but I've heard good things about it.

https://aereo.com/coverage
Old 02-12-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Is there a benefit to using the Roku if you already have a PC in your living room? Take HGTV for example, how would it be better than just going to HGTV.com?
Old 02-12-14, 11:35 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 263 Posts

do you like watching things on your computer, or your TV? there's your answer.
Old 02-12-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry maybe I wasn't being clear. I have my pc connected to my 60" led.

I'm trying to cut cable completely so I'm just researching the things I should do. I'm trying the pc approach now, but wondered if the Roku had any advantages. I'm ok with just opening a browser to hgtv.com unless the Roku offered something much nicer or easier.
Old 02-12-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Sorry maybe I wasn't being clear. I have my pc connected to my 60" led.

I'm trying to cut cable completely so I'm just researching the things I should do. I'm trying the pc approach now, but wondered if the Roku had any advantages. I'm ok with just opening a browser to hgtv.com unless the Roku offered something much nicer or easier.
Honestly, some things are better on a computer. You can get HULU (no plus) and you cannot do that on a dedicated streaming device. Sometimes you also find more things to stream going directly to the source than to the ROKU "channel". SYFY for example.

OTOH, I can easily stream Amazon Prime (or just Amazon streaming) movies in HD via my Roku. I was never able to coax HD out of them via my computer. DRM issues I assume. Not certain about Netflix or others...

Honestly I found a mix of both to be best. Worth it to me just to avoid the DRM hassle. The Roku is a nice little piece of tech. If you're cutting cable completely you will end up with at least one paid source (though much cheaper than cable) and the Roku will be nice to have.
Old 02-12-14, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Easy .

I'm trying Aereo now for my locals but the quality is iffy, have a Mohu antenna coming from Amazon to compare.
Old 02-18-14, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4,040 Likes on 2,880 Posts

FYI

Showtimeanytime is now available on Roku

It's Showtime's version of HBO Go for those unaware of it's existence. Again you need to be a subscriber of Showtime to use it. This is a better alternative than downloading episodes on demand which eat up precious DVR space. Directv does support this.

For those who don't pay for/can't afford Showtime, just call up a friend or family member who does and get their log-in credentials to use this. It's a much better and legal alternative than torrents or using some shit illegal streaming sites that have pop ups and possible viruses.

Now I just need Roku to get Starzplay or Maxgo and I will be even happier.
Old 02-18-14, 10:26 PM

Comcast continues to dump on the Roku.

Showtime App Goes Live on Roku — But Comcast Is Not on Board

Showtime Networks has launched its authenticated streaming-video service on Roku broadband set-top boxes, providing access to to hundreds of hours of on-demand content and live TV feeds, available to subscribers of several major pay-TV partners.

It’s the first time Showtime’s Internet-video service is available on a TV-connected device. But customers of Comcast are out of luck: The nation’s largest cable operator is not allowing its Showtime subs to watch the premium cabler’s content through Roku devices. Similarly, Comcast blocks customers from accessing HBO Go on Roku boxes.

Asked about Comcast’s policy of excluding cable network apps for Roku, a rep for the cable operator claimed the issue is related to developing support for individual devices. “With every new website, device or player we authenticate, we need to work through technical integration and customer service, which takes time and resources,” Comcast spokesman Steven Restivo said. “Moving forward, we will continue to prioritize as we partner with various players.”

FULL ARTICLE - http://variety.com/2014/digital/news...rd-1201110786/
Old 02-19-14, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Comcast continues to dump on the Roku.
thank goodness for the internet
I received a Roku 3 today and was going to use it to replace my Chromecast ... glad I didn't make the mistake of opening the box .... had no idea before reading online that you could not use HBOGO with the Roku via Comcast
Old 02-19-14, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by musick
had no idea before reading online that you could not use HBOGO with the Roku via Comcast
If you really want HBOGo (and you have Comcast), get an AppleTV. For some reason, Comcast allows HBOGo on the ATV, but not on the Roku.
Old 02-19-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

Asked about Comcast’s policy of excluding cable network apps for Roku, a rep for the cable operator claimed the issue is related to developing support for individual devices. “With every new website, device or player we authenticate, we need to work through technical integration and customer service, which takes time and resources,” Comcast spokesman Steven Restivo said. “Moving forward, we will continue to prioritize as we partner with various players.”
Ah, the ol' BS answer...how much 'time and resources' do they need? People have been complaining about Comcast blocking HBOGo on Roku for at least two years.
Old 02-19-14, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 270 Posts

If you really want HBOGo (and you have Comcast), get an AppleTV. For some reason, Comcast allows HBOGo on the ATV, but not on the Roku.
Comcast also allows HBOGo on the Xbox 360.

Recently, however (at least in my area), Comcast has added almost ALL of HBO's series episodes to their OnDemand service (where they previously only featured select seasons of select series), so HBOGo is becoming less of a necessity if you're a Comcast subscriber.
Old 02-19-14, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,100 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Ah, the ol' BS answer...how much 'time and resources' do they need? People have been complaining about Comcast blocking HBOGo on Roku for at least two years.
That isn't a BS answer so much as a "Roku needs to pay if they want us to give them access.", it's a thinly veiled "play ball or shut the fuck up" statement.

I like using HBO Go when I travel which is pretty frequent, it's a pain in the ass not being able to use it on the Roku
Old 02-19-14, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nah, I'm good .... I can get it through my Chromecast and possibly soon my PS4

I just thought I would be able to use the Roku as a complete solution instead of having to piecemeal streaming devices
Old 02-26-14, 06:09 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Finally getting my Roku 3 later today.

Is there anything I should know before I hook it up? I'll be replacing the old Roku HD and hooking it up with my HDTV which only has 1 HDMI. Thankfully I have a HDMI splitter so will be able to connect my blu ray player using that.

Is it as simple as unplugging the old one and hooking up the new one and following the set up instructions?

What are some good channels to get addded on there that aren't currently available on the older models?
Old 02-26-14, 09:35 PM

Coming to Roku: Audiobooks and Videos From Local Libraries

OverDrive announced today that it will launch a free Roku channel that enables users of school and library audiobooks and Streaming Video to listen and watch titles on their TVs. Librarians attending the Public Library Association (PLA) Conference in Indianapolis March 11-15 will be able to see a demonstration of the OverDrive Roku channel in booth #721.

Roku is a popular and inexpensive streaming audio and video device that can be connected to most TVs. The OverDrive Roku channel will provide consumers another way to access their local library digital audiobook and video catalog, making it easy to watch a movie or listen to MP3 audiobooks in just seconds. Roku comes preinstalled with popular channels including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Pandora and others. Once launched, the OverDrive channel will be a free, no subscription service that all Roku users can easily select and then locate titles to borrow from their library.

"Today's public libraries already offer tens of thousands of best-selling digital audiobooks and videos in every category," said Karen Estrovich, OverDrive's Director of Collection Development. "Roku extends the value of the OverDrive libraries' digital media collections to TVs in millions of living rooms, kitchens, dens -- anywhere the WiFi reaches."

OverDrive provides the largest collection of digital audiobooks from every major publishing house, including best-selling authors John Grisham, Janet Evanovich, Nicholas Sparks, Gillian Flynn, Neil Gaiman and many more. Early this year, the company launched its Streaming Video service for public libraries and has already added more than 4,000 feature films, educational, children's, spiritual, and self-help titles from Criterion Pictures, Revolver Entertainment, and Cinedigm, among others. Visit Los Angeles Public Library's digital collection to see some of these titles at lapl.lib.overdrive.com.

Libraries and schools that have MP3 audiobooks and Streaming Video through OverDrive will have their library's available titles in the new Roku channel. After registering their library card number in the initial visit, users simply choose the OverDrive channel from the Roku menu, select their library, and borrow Streaming Videos and audiobooks that their library has available for checkout.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1759707
Old 03-05-14, 03:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.engadget.com/2014/03/04/r...reaming-stick/

Roku's new Streaming Stick works with most TVs, drops price to $50

When Roku released its first Streaming Stick in late 2012, it was a tough sell. It cost $99 (as much as the highest-end Roku box), only worked with TVs that were certified as "Roku Ready," and it didn't even ship with a remote. So the godfather of set-top streaming boxes went back to the drawing board for the 2014 version of the Roku Streaming Stick, which abandons its reliance on MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) for standard-issue HDMI. It also comes prepackaged with a remote, though it lacks the motion control and headphone jack you get on more expensive models. For the internals, the company essentially crammed the Roku 1 into a dongle format -- and that includes its wallet-friendly $50 price point. While it's not quite as cheap as Google's streaming stick, it does play host to plenty more content sources. Whether or not PBS, Showtime and over 1,000 niche channels of video programming is worth the extra $15 depends on you.

Other than form factor, the only difference between the Roku 1 and the Stick is that the latter ships with the latest versions of Roku's apps, though those will be coming to the full-sized box in the near future. That means you'll be able to cast photos and videos directly from your phone. Alongside the 2014 edition of the Streaming Stick, the company is launching a revamped mobile app. The most immediately obvious difference is the UI, which puts stark purple line drawings on black background. More importantly though, it puts the platform's universal search at your fingertips. So, rather than having to look at your TV to browse through the results, you can pick out the best place to watch Sherlock for free with just the tap of your touchscreen.

The new Roku Streaming Stick will be available in April either direct from the company's site or through the usual retailers (like Best Buy) for $50.
Old 03-17-14, 12:31 AM

There's a new private channel for Ohio Valley Wrestling. There's about 100 free full-length episodes from May 2012 to current. Disregard the time stamp, each episode runs around 60 minutes.

https://owner.roku.com/add/OVW
Old 03-23-14, 03:24 AM

Some shows on the FOXNOW channel require an activation which is a step I can not complete because our cable service provider is not among those listed on foxnow.com/activate

Fox's shows are broadcast over the air. So what is Fox gaining by restricting access on its Roku channel to (select) cable subscribers ? I also don't understand its position of restricting access to just some of its shows. Would Fox view restricted access as another way of measuring how many households are viewing the show ?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.