Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The OFFICIAL Noteworthy New Arrivals to Netflix Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: The OFFICIAL Noteworthy New Arrivals to Netflix Thread

Put FarScape back!! And Stargate and the Fleisher Superman cartoons. And the rest of Dark Shadows. How exactly does all of this stuff work? Do Netflix license each show individually, do they license stuff in bulk from AMC, NBC, and so on, or does it vary? I know HBO won't let them license stuff for whatever reason.
Old 08-02-13, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Fringe Season 5 now available...
Old 08-03-13, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Fringe Season 5 now available...
And now it's gone....
Old 08-03-13, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tygan
And now it's gone....
What the?! You know, I'd rather they keep the show I actually want to watch than have original programming in which I have no interest.
Old 08-03-13, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

It was a mistake they put it up early. Don't know when but they'll put it back up.
Old 08-04-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
What the?! You know, I'd rather they keep the show I actually want to watch than have original programming in which I have no interest.
Their original programming is better than most of their other content. Save for Hemlock Grove which was just fucking terrible.

They put Fringe Season 5 up too early, it'll be available September 12. They're like any other TV station / Movie channel, they have a rotation of material, not a permanent library. Sucks they got rid of the "Expiring Soon" feature.
Old 08-04-13, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
Their original programming is better than most of their other content.
I'd rather they have kept Voltron, FarScape, the Fleisher Superman shorts, the damn Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series they juat took down, and Stargate, or put up the rest of ReBoot, Samurai Jack, and Dark Shadows and all of the other stuff I wanted to watch or add subtitles to the anime than have the new stuff in which I'm not as interested.

Save for Hemlock Grove which was just fucking terrible.
I heard it was deeply messed up.

They're like any other TV station / Movie channel, they have a rotation of material, not a permanent library. Sucks they got rid of the "Expiring Soon" feature.
Some stuff seems to have stayed there indefinitely, I think this is the flipside of streaming, the cost of having them keep a license for the audience interested vs. the number of people watching it and the cost of renewing it.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-04-13 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually received an email about Fringe S5 being available. Interesting they pulled it so soon.
Old 08-06-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd rather they have kept Voltron, FarScape, the Fleisher Superman shorts, the damn Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series they juat took down, and Stargate, or put up the rest of ReBoot, Samurai Jack, and Dark Shadows and all of the other stuff I wanted to watch or add subtitles to the anime than have the new stuff in which I'm not as interested.
Samurai Jack should continue going up, they have a deal with Cartoon Network but there are limitations on the releases. This just started in late March/early April so I'm not sure when more seasons will be added.

The other content disappeared due to licensing (obviously enough) but it's more the fault of the content providers seeing a chance to cash in big like the Viacom licensing agreement which Amazon scooped up. As such, Seasons 1 - 4 of FarScape are available in SD on Amazon Prime Instant (First 3 seasons are available in HD but are not free). All of Stargate SG-1 is also available in SD on Amazon Prime Instant (last 3 seasons in High Definition)

I'm not sure when ReBoot was pulled but that was likely due to Alliance being bought by eOne.

The Fleisher Superman shorts were likely pulled because Warner pulled their archive so they launch their own overpriced service, they likely had no choice in the matter. Oddly, they didn't include the shorts in the the Warner Instant Archive. Unfortunately this is the way it works when things start getting competitive.

FWIW, all of Voltron: Defenders of the Universe is available free on Hulu, albeit with advertising. http://www.hulu.com/voltron-defender-of-the-universe

The only service that bothers me is Warner Archive, mostly because I have Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime Instant. The Roku 3 search features makes keeping all of these things straight very easy since it takes you to the streaming service that the show is on automatically. And it's all a matter of taste, but I'll take more seasons of AD, House of Cards, The Fall and Orange is the New Black over most archive material, mostly because it can be found elsewhere pretty easily.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-06-13 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-06-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RichC2
The other content disappeared due to licensing (obviously enough) but it's more the fault of the content providers seeing a chance to cash in big like the Viacom licensing agreement which Amazon scooped up.
Once streaming became widespread, I suppose it was inevitable that things would split various way, everyone obviously woundn't want Netflix to have everything, ie pay for various streaming service to get the shows you want.

As such, Seasons 1 - 4 of FarScape are available in SD on Amazon Prime Instant (First 3 seasons are available in HD but are not free). All of Stargate SG-1 is also available in SD on Amazon Prime Instant (last 3 seasons in High Definition)
I should just sign up, free shipping too, it sounds like a great deal. Wonder if my BR player could stream it? HD has spoiled me though SD doesn't look good anymore.

I'm not sure when ReBoot was pulled but that was likely due to Alliance being bought by eOne.

The Fleisher Superman shorts were likely pulled because Warner pulled their archive so they launch their own overpriced service, they likely had no choice in the matter. Oddly, they didn't include the shorts in the the Warner Instant Archive. Unfortunately this is the way it works when things start getting competitive.
They're in the public domain anyway, of course, but the wifi at retail where I work block damn near everything except our store website for our customers' online coupons (Though the retail store across the street doesn't!), but for some reason, it doesn't block Netflix (Not yet, anyway.), so it's one of the meager pleasure I'm allowed there. As such, with 30-minute breaks, some things are ideal, which is why I'm bent out of shape that they took down some Twilight Zone too. I'm kind of doubting they'll have have all 1,000+ episodes of Dark Shadows ever . I think you're quite right, they didn't want Netflix monopolizing it, so this is what happens when competition get heated.

FWIW, all of Voltron: Defenders of the Universe is available free on Hulu, albeit with advertising. http://www.hulu.com/voltron-defender-of-the-universe
It appears that in order to access Hulu anywhere except my PC (Most nobably my Blu-Ray player), I need a Hulu Plus account. Netflix have Lion Force, just not the second half. Granted, after having watched a few episodes, time has been so unkind to it that I may bail, but it's certainly better than the Japanese series Anime Works put out. I looked up the price for the presumably out-of-print third volume of Dairugger XV and nearly had a heart attack.

The only service that bothers me is Warner Archive, mostly because I have Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon Prime Instant. The Roku 3 search features makes keeping all of these things straight very easy since it takes you to the streaming service that the show is on automatically. And it's all a matter of taste, but I'll take more seasons of AD, House of Cards, The Fall and Orange is the New Black over most archive material, mostly because it can be found elsewhere pretty easily.
I'm sure many people would, and obviously the purpose of Netflix isn't a big library for me to watch whatever I want from the past and present, and they can't very well keep everything up all the time, I just like having it as a convenient way to access everything. Obviously, the whole service isn't geared toward me. I just don't want to pay for other streaming services too .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-07-13 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 09:13 PM

It appears that in order to access Hulu anywhere except my PC (Most nobably my Blu-Ray player), I need a Hulu Plus account. Netflix have Lion Force, just not the second half. Granted, after having watched a few episodes, time has been so unkind to it that I may bail, but it's certainly better than the Japanese series Anime Works put out. I looked up the price for the presumably out-of-print third volume of Dairugger XV and nearly had a heart attack.

It's extremely stupid, but not everything on Hulu is watchable using Hulu Plus.
Old 08-14-13, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Revolution season 1 (20 episodes) Everyone's favorite serial drama from NBC this past season is now on Netflix.
Old 08-15-13, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ That is very welcome news... Been waiting to watch it...
Old 08-15-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
It was a mistake they put it up early. Don't know when but they'll put it back up.
Holy damn that sucks. I had season five on my DVR(I had never watched it but recorded S5 with plans to catch up on Netflix). I'm on season 2 and saw that they added S5 and deleted it off my DVR to get some space back. Probably be awhile until I catch up anyway, going through slowly.
Old 08-18-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Netflix is looking more and more like my old DVD collection, adding back a lot of movies they had a while back.

Recent re-additions:
Memento
Downfall
Donnie Darko
The Rundown
Solomon Kane
The Breakfast Club
Event Horizon
The Boondock Saints
Goldeneye
Stargate
Zodiac

Also Added:
Arbitrage
Antiviral (by Cronenberg's kid)
Titanic
Agora
The Collection (sequel to The Collector)
Samsara

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P0xVp3N-M84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-19-13, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Watched the first episode of "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson. There's some good shit in there and she's still smoking hot and pulls off the English accent rather well.
Old 08-19-13, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Watched the first episode of "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson. There's some good shit in there and she's still smoking hot and pulls off the English accent rather well.
That's because she has one. She grew up in England.
Old 08-19-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you add something to your queue, then they remove it, then re-add it, does it show back up automatically in your queue again?
Old 08-19-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Most of the time.. there have been some that didn't re-appear... but I can't remember which ones they were..
Old 08-20-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks..I ended up finding out last night when Memento and Agora popped into my queue.
Old 08-21-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts

According to Roku's Netflix Instant Watcher, The Road (Viggo Mortensen) will be available this Sunday. Dredd available today?

EDIT: Corrected release dates.

Last edited by printerati; 08-23-13 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-27-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently they're dropping all of the James Bond movies at the end of the week.
Old 08-27-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Apparently they're dropping all of the James Bond movies at the end of the week.
The Bond movies was only temporary. It was only licensed for 1 month.

Doesn't matter to me. I already own the complete Bond Blu-ray set. I can watch them anytime I want.
Old 08-28-13, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting a new movie Dredd is only available in regular HD and no 5.1.
Old 08-30-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just received email that "ONCE upon a Time" Season 2 is now available.... of course just 2 weeks after I buy the Blu.. Then again.. we would want the quality of the Blu anyway ... hope for those that want to catch it on Netflix that it doesn't disappear like Fringe Season 5 did after it was announced...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.