DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Hulu.com--- Free legal streaming TV shows site - Now Open (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/518825-hulu-com-free-legal-streaming-tv-shows-site-now-open.html)

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-28-09 07:26 AM

Re: Hulu.com--- Free legal streaming TV shows site - Now Open

Hulu has become my go-to for Fox, NBC and USA shows. Frees up DVR space, knowing I can see some of my shows here. I like ABC.com because they have LOST in HD. Wonder if Hulu will ever expand their HD content.

mrpayroll 04-05-09 07:27 PM

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1294...y?source=yahoo

Disney Says Hulu Is Short on Cash: Deal Announcement on the Way?

by: Dan Rayburn April 04, 2009

With all the rumors lately about Disney (DIS) possibly cutting a deal with Hulu, various sources at Disney are talking to many on Wall Street about Hulu's financial situation saying the company is getting low on cash. While Providence Equity Partners, who put $100M into Hulu two years ago, is saying Hulu is not having any finance problems, I tend to believe Disney. No company who is ever running low on cash says they are, and their investors always tell you things are fine.

While $100M sounds like a lot of money, for a site the size of Hulu it's not unreasonable for them to have gone through the vast majority of that capital in the past 24 months. What investment NBC and FOX also put into Hulu is not known, but with Hulu's advertising revenue not yet covering their costs and their traffic skyrocketing, Hulu is clearly burning a lot of cash.

Hulu served over 300M streams in February and according to comScore, attracted 34.7 million viewers in the same month. Depending on who you ask, most agree that Hulu is only filling about 50% of its ad inventory which has not been helped by the downtown of online advertising in the current economy.

If Hulu truly is ruining low on cash as Disney says, then it puts Disney in the driver's seat with their negotiations with Hulu and probably gives them some leverage they may not have had a year ago. Whether or not this was Disney's tactic from day one is not known but it will be very interesting to hear more about the deal if it happens as I'm sure many details will be leaked. While those at the Cable Show are saying not to expect a deal in the next few days, the consensus amongst many is that a deal is expected to be announced shortly.
Chris

Spicollidriver1 04-05-09 07:37 PM

I hope they don't go under because I use Hulu quite a bit. Also you would think it would make more sense for fox and nbc to pump money in to so they don't have to run there own site and deal with everything involved with running your own streaming site.

mrpayroll 04-30-09 12:12 PM

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...D&siteid=yhoof

Disney takes stake in Hulu and will stream shows to site

By David B. Wilkerson, MarketWatch

Last update: 12:21 p.m. EDT April 30, 2009

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Walt Disney Co. has taken a stake in the increasingly popular streaming video Web site Hulu, and will make full-length episodes of such shows as "Lost," "Grey's Anatomy," and "Desperate Housewives" available for ad-supported viewing, the company said Thursday.

Disney joins NBC Universal (GEGeneral Electric Co) , News Corp. and Providence Equity Partners as a partner in the joint venture.

Financial terms were not disclosed. News Corp. is also the parent company of MarketWatch, the publisher of this report.

According to the latest report from comScore Video Metrix, the two-year-old Hulu became one of the top three U.S. video properties for the first time in March, with 380 million videos viewed.

Disney/ABC Television Group remains committed to its ABC.com video viewer, where it offers much of the same programming that will now be accessible at Hulu. The unit sees the two audiences as being distinct.

ComScore statistics show that only about 8% of the ABC.com audience goes to Hulu, while about 13% of Hulu's audience visits ABC.com. Disney/ABC takes the view that it can only be helped by reaching more of Hulu's viewer base.

Overall, with its initiatives to make shows available at iTunes, ABC.com and now Hulu, Disney/ABC has consistently held the position that letting more people sample its television programming will ultimately widen the TV viewing audience. In the past three years, TV viewing has increased, even as more shows have been streamed online.

"Disney has sought to meet the constantly evolving viewing habits of our consumers, and today's Hulu announcement is the next important step in that ongoing journey," said Bob Iger, chief executive of Disney, in a statement.

Disney shares were up 6.4% at $22.35.

As user-driven sites like YouTube began to galvanize the public's attention in recent years, frequently through pirated clips and full episodes of copyrighted materials, the studios and networks fought back.

Hulu, ABC.com, NBC.com and other sites of their kind sought to present high-quality user experiences that would not only undercut piracy, but present a more friendly environment for advertisers, who know their messages won't be fast-forwarded or surrounded by potentially objectionable items and comments posted by users.

Cable operators have expressed concern that consumers will eventually become so enamored on online viewing that they may decide to cancel cable service, and have discussed ways in which programmers could tie viewing of shows on the Web to a video subscription. The cable executives admit, however, that for now there is little evidence of so-called "cord-cutting" in the video realm.

David B. Wilkerson is a reporter for MarketWatch in Chicago.
The Wall Street Journal reports this:

Walt Disney Co. has reached a deal to buy a nearly 30% stake in Web-video aggregator Hulu and put full episodes of its ABC TV shows on the site, according to people ...
Chris

JohnSlider 04-30-09 01:14 PM

Fantastic! I love Hulu, I hope it comes to Roku soon.

sb5 04-30-09 10:48 PM

Great. ABC's video player on their website sucks on my computer - good to see they're coming to Hulu.

SpinalGuffman 04-30-09 11:35 PM

Awesome. I was hoping the rumored deal would result in this. Fantastic site. Now if other networks would join in.

But on that note, does anyone else think it is weird that these networks are playing nice like this rather than only staking out their own branded sites?

It's a good weird though.

DarkestPhoenix 05-01-09 02:56 AM

Fuckin' A.

Lost on Hulu!!!

mmconhea 05-01-09 09:47 AM

great news. I love the Hulu player, and the ability to embed it is great as well.

The down side...
I'm seeing a few hulu ad blockers pooping up around the web... so now that we have high-quality streaming TV in a centralized location, limited interruption and on demand, asshats who think they are better than a commercial have to go and fuck their business model.

frenchy 05-01-09 09:59 AM

NEWSRADIO! I'm pretty sure it's new to Hulu, but my apologies if I'm mistaken.

Chew 05-01-09 10:04 AM

Now if TiVo would only add Hulu support.....

Spicollidriver1 05-01-09 03:57 PM

Nope Newsradio has been on there for awhile although not all the eps. And I am not surprised that the networks are playing nice because in the end this makes the most money for them less on infrastructure , bigger install base, and also I agree abc's web player sucks balls if it wasn't for the fact I miss Castle every other week I wouldn't use it and it would be one less site I need to use IE for.

TheKing 05-01-09 10:07 PM

I used the ABC player for the first time this week, and I hated it. I like to watch my stuff on my 37" LCD TV, and for what I was watching, the player itself worked. But when a commercial would air, the player would jump out of full screen mode and make me click on it to continue. So I'd have to get up, click the button, push it back to full screen mode, and resume watching. Annoying as hell. I don't mind the commercials, but why can't they just embed them in the video without kicking the player back out and having that silly ad clicking thing?

Michael T Hudson 05-02-09 12:52 PM

If only the 360 would support Hulu.

Palaver 05-02-09 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by TheKing (Post 9420998)
I used the ABC player for the first time this week, and I hated it. I like to watch my stuff on my 37" LCD TV, and for what I was watching, the player itself worked. But when a commercial would air, the player would jump out of full screen mode and make me click on it to continue. So I'd have to get up, click the button, push it back to full screen mode, and resume watching. Annoying as hell. I don't mind the commercials, but why can't they just embed them in the video without kicking the player back out and having that silly ad clicking thing?

That's my biggest gripe as well. The video quality was nice, but having to continually hit a continue button ruins the experience.

Michael T Hudson 05-02-09 01:44 PM

Never mind just found PlayON. Awesome.

Boba Fett 05-02-09 01:54 PM

I'm glad Lost will be on Hulu, as ABC's episode player was awful.

Dr Mabuse 05-02-09 02:06 PM

I play Arrested Development all the time.

Can't get enough.

hahn 05-02-09 04:29 PM

I guess I'm the only one who actually likes ABC's video player. The streaming HD quality is FAR superior to Hulu's. And for some reason Hulu's player gets all jerky when it goes full-screen. Also, I HATE that I keep having to wait for the first commercial to end and then I have to click on the 480P button to get a better quality stream. Why can't they just allow those of us who have a wide bandwidth to automatically go to 480P??

SteelWill 05-02-09 05:19 PM

I agree, ABC's web player has far better quality than Hulu's, but the website implementation is atrocious in comparison.

You can set Hulu to default to 480P if you make an account.

big whoppa 05-02-09 05:43 PM

In HD, ABC's player is just beautiful. Loved watching Eli Stone and Ugly Betty on it.

Hulu needs more movies and full episodes of TV shows. I can't stand how many clips there are on that site.

Geofferson 05-02-09 06:07 PM

I too like the ABC player. Hulu 480p isn't bad though. I've been watching the new season of Rescue Me on Hulu.

hahn 05-02-09 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SteelWill (Post 9421893)
You can set Hulu to default to 480P if you make an account.

Good to know. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

Ranger 05-02-09 09:54 PM

Worst player I used was at the CW. No full-screen controls.

Thought ABC player was OK, but still prefer Hulu.

Nth Power 05-02-09 10:00 PM

I like Hulu. It looks pretty good and haven't had any buffer problems. It also comes through at work which is a plus.