DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Streaming Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk-75/)
-   -   Hulu.com--- Free legal streaming TV shows site - Now Open (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/streaming-talk/518825-hulu-com-free-legal-streaming-tv-shows-site-now-open.html)

DJariya 11-30-07 11:25 PM

Hulu.com--- Free legal streaming TV shows site - Now Open

Has anyone seen this web site for watching TV shows online? I know it's a legal site sanctioned by the studios.

http://www.hulu.com/

Has anyone actually used it or has it even launched yet? I gave them my e-mail address and it says I will be placed on a waiting list. Looks like a pretty cool site, but I wonder how long the wait is.

Scott27 12-01-07 12:54 AM

You can expect a rather lengthy wait. I signed up for the beta on 8/29 and didn't get the "invitation" to sign up on the site until 11/12. I haven't actually watched anything yet, but in browsing the site, they not only have current shows from NBC, FOX and cable networks but also old shows from Universal and FOX, as well as some Universal movies. The video window could be bigger, though. They're full-screen mode doesn't seem to make it any bigger.

DJariya 12-01-07 05:13 AM

Well I guess I won't hear from them until March or so. Oh well!

Goat3001 12-01-07 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Scott27
You can expect a rather lengthy wait. I signed up for the beta on 8/29 and didn't get the "invitation" to sign up on the site until 11/12.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Hulu didn't officially launch until early October. So you didn't wait 3 months to get your invitation. You got it about a month after launch.

Deftones 12-01-07 12:44 PM

No. Hulu hasn't launched, it got pushed back. At least from what I understand. I also got a beta invite for it, but have yet to check it out.

Brent_MN 12-01-07 01:10 PM

well from someone who uses it all the time, I think it's pretty good. The quality isn't quite where I'd like it, but the player works pretty doggon good. I think it's worth checking out. Mary Tyler Moore!

Goat3001 12-11-07 07:32 PM

I got my username and pass the other day. Just got around to checking it out and I think its great. Quality isn't superb but it gives me a chance to catch up on shows that I've wanted to see but wasn't sure I wanted to shell out money on such as Friday Night Lights.

BDB 12-11-07 07:44 PM

My co-worker got his, and I think it looked pretty good, someone actually linked one of the videos in the 30 Rock thread.

dstrauss 12-11-07 08:37 PM

MSN has a lot of the Hulu content (at least current shows) for free without a signup.

Brent L 12-17-07 09:09 PM

I just got my invitation in the mail. :)

DJariya 12-17-07 09:13 PM

I just got my invitation today as well. It's a pretty cool site, but the amount of episodes for certain shows is inconsistent. Some shows have the most recent episodes, some have the entire seasons and others have only the 1st 4-5 episodes.

Mhepburn20 12-17-07 09:40 PM

As an alternative to Itunes I don't find it successful at all. The benefit to Itunes is that you can take the episodes with you on your ipod for a cost. Pulling your material from Itunes (like NBC did) and not allowing a transportable format is foolish.

bub2000 12-17-07 10:39 PM

Got my invitation, but it's kinda useless since the block content to Canada

clemente 12-17-07 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
As an alternative to Itunes I don't find it successful at all. The benefit to Itunes is that you can take the episodes with you on your ipod for a cost. Pulling your material from Itunes (like NBC did) and not allowing a transportable format is foolish.

To be fair, it is still a beta. And I'm sure the folks over at Universal/Newscorp are aware of the fact that their is money to be made so I would expect a download to own option being available later on.

leacha 12-18-07 02:14 AM

I just recived my invite today. Not to shabby. I wanted to get caught up on BSG S3 but they did not have the whole season. I was hopping to see alot more cancelled shows on there like John Doe & Brimstone. Oh well.

BTW here is a like that has everything on the site http://www.openhulu.com/

Morf 12-18-07 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by leacha
BTW here is a like that has everything on the site http://www.openhulu.com/

It is not everything on the site, but there is a lot there.

Goat3001 12-18-07 04:51 PM

I'm pissed. I want to watch the full season of The Loop and Friday Night Lights but my crappy computer starts skipping when the video is in fullscreen.

Jadzia 03-13-08 10:26 AM

Bumping this thread because I just heard about this site.
It is now open:
http://www.hulu.com/

Great review today from the Detroit Free Press:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...LOG01/80313020

Red Dog 03-13-08 10:59 AM

Not bad. I was stoked when I saw Picket Fences but it's only S1 which I already have on DVD and is the only season out yet. Downloading to an Ipod would be super though.

Bobby Shalom 03-13-08 11:21 AM

Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot!!!

Jadzia 03-13-08 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bobby Shalom
Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot!!!

Holy shit! I haven't seen that show in 30 years -it was my favorite as a kid. I actually remember crying at the final episode.

I didn't even see that listed at first.

Chew 03-13-08 11:38 AM

Another site I'd love to see accessed via TiVo.

spainlinx0 03-13-08 11:54 AM

Yes I would love to download these to my MP3 player to watch at work. I will try to see if ReplayAV will let me capture the streams.

Jadzia 03-13-08 12:01 PM

I think the reason the site is free is because it is streaming (with a commercial) and not downloadable.

Otherwise you would have to pay for it, a la iTunes.

DVD Josh 03-13-08 12:05 PM

I've been wanted to re-watch AD for awhile now!! Great quality, fast streaming.

Red Dog 03-13-08 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
I think the reason the site is free is because it is streaming (with a commercial) and not downloadable.

Otherwise you would have to pay for it, a la iTunes.

So what is the difference btwn me recording a broadcast TV show (free) with commercials?

If you include the commercial with the download, I don't see the issue. Plus unlike with DVRs (or even a VCR), it ain't exactly easy to precisely FF an Ipod (to skip over a commercial).

GuessWho 03-13-08 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
...to watch at work.

Try working :lol:

B.A. 03-13-08 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Try working :lol:

Yeah, right.

spainlinx0 03-13-08 08:50 PM

I have downtime at work at the moment because we are waiting for a bunch of cases to come through. Also I like to have something on in the background while I work.

Brent L 03-13-08 09:08 PM

There's no reason for anyone here to go any longer without watching Arrested Development.

Get to it people.

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-13-08 09:16 PM

Blocked at work, but works fine at home. Interesting, the PQ isn't as good as Netflix Instant View.

leacha 03-13-08 10:07 PM

Just a side note, I use FireFox with AdBlock and have never seen a commercial.

Goat3001 03-13-08 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm pissed. I want to watch the full season of The Loop and Friday Night Lights but my crappy computer starts skipping when the video is in fullscreen.

And now I have a new computer and Hulu has become my favorite website. I've been able to watch a few shows that I missed out on the first time and now they have entire movies. PQ isn't great, but it is very watchable.

I do have a few gripes:

1- I don't mind the 30 seconds of commercials every few minutes, but do they have to be the same exact commercials?

2- I would like to be able to lay in bed and watch a few episodes. Hulu is awesome enough to have a playlist option. However, every time it changes video it has to go back to a regular size screen instead of staying fullscreen.

Steve Phillips 03-14-08 04:37 PM

Oh no. They've let "The Munsters Today" out of the vault!

Orbi-Wan Techno 03-16-08 10:12 PM

Okay, I'm liking hulu, but I think they need more stuff.
In the time that I have watched, the commercial have all been different (DirectTV, some dogfood, Chili's, etc.)
My video stays full screen the entire time. Don't know why others have a problem.
They have Titan AE, which I haven't watched in years, plus a bunch of other stuff I want to catch up on. Seem like Yeoh is sharing some of their content, too.

Superman07 03-17-08 07:49 AM

Is this what you have access to now when you download the "software" for VOD on Fox's website? That royaly ticked me off when they switched to that a few weeks ago. NBC may have changed as well, but I know they were using the same system as ABC - free, with no software download.

It's been a while since I've been to NBC, but you could even get HD on ABC!

mrpayroll 03-27-09 01:28 PM

Re: Hulu.com--- Free legal streaming TV shows site - Now Open

http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419...stake-in-hulu/

Could Disney Join Hulu? Sources Say Talks Are Serious

By Staci D. Kramer - Fri 27 Mar 2009 06:27 AM PST

Updated:The Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS) Company could wind up with an equity stake in Hulu in exchange for adding ABC programming to the NBC Universal-News Corp (NYSE: NWS) joint venture, a source familiar with the situation tells paidContent. It’s not clear how much of Disney’s television programming is involved beyond ABC—a second source says all Disney content has been discussed but it centers on ABC; other possibilities could include ESPN (not likely given ESPN’s reliance on license fees from cable operators and others) and, if not the Disney Channel, some offshoots. The discussions, dormant for a while, have picked up again recently and are described as “serious” by both sources. A third source close to the situation said the discussions with Disney are “definitely real”—and more so than before—but cautioned against saying any deal has been reached.

Providence Equity Partners owns 10 percent of the joint venture in exchange for an early $100 million investment; NBC Universal (NYSE: GE) and News Corp each own 45 percent. One plan, according to one source, is for Disney to get something close to parity with the media companies, possibly with performance incentives. But it is difficult to see NBCU and News Corp agreeing to parity—a healthy stake, yes, but the others are likely to want their first-in status to equal larger shares than those coming in now.

The deal sounds similar to variations I was told were discussed with CBS (NYSE: CBS). Instead, Hulu wound up yanking its programming off CBS Interactive’s TV.com, which signed a distribution deal before parent CNET was acquired by CBS, over contractual issues. The result: gaping holes in the programming for Hulu and TV.com. Disney has stayed away, though, focusing primarily on delivering its broadband programming through its own players on its own sites.

But would serious equity be enough or would Disney insist that NBCU and News Corp. extend their commitments to Hulu for NBC, Fox and various cable nets beyond the remaining year? The exclusivity makes Hulu the only conduit for PC-based distribution; as is the case with NBC and Fox, ABC still would be able to distribute its content through its own players on its own sites. That kind of assurance from NBCU and News Corp. would seem even more important given a variety of issues, including the pending departure of Hulu board member Peter Chernin, who played a key role in making the JV happen as COO of News Corp., and the pressure from cable operators like Comcast (a Hulu distribution partner through its Fancast portal) to fold in online access to broadcast and cable programming with cable subscriptions. Disney also could agree to a non-exclusive deal, which means it would keep the rights to co-distribute its content—but that would put a significant equity stake in doubt.

I was told some outsiders are reading too much in to the idea of parity. On the notion of commitment, that source told me: “In terms of commitments, I would think all the parties would want to be equal in terms of what their commitments are.” That would include the amount of content, scope of involvement and the integration within each organization.

Why now? One source says, “Hulu has more scale (than the networks), which is why I think they’re back at the table.” Hulu.com recently celebrated the first anniversary of leaving beta and is in the midst of a national branding campaign that started during the Super Bowl with an ad featuring 30 Rock‘s Alec Baldwin. Stats released this week by comScore (NSDQ: SCOR) Video Metrix showed Hulu with a 33 percent increase in viewed videos following the ad. Hulu delivered 333 million videos in February, ranking fourth in U.S. video properties with 2.5 percent. Hulu’s share is small compared to YouTube but not compared to the standalone networks. In the same comScore report for February, Viacom (NYSE: VIA) Digital Network accounted for 1.9 percent of videos delivered, with Disney Online and CBS Interactive each just under 1 percent.
Chris

RichC2 03-27-09 02:27 PM

Hope ABC and CBS eventually sign on. While I could just as easily go to ABC.com and watch stuff, it's just way more convenient on Hulu.

Love this service.

Palaver 03-27-09 02:29 PM

This would be great news. I don't like ABC's interface. You have to click continue after each commercial break.

DJariya 03-27-09 02:31 PM

ABC's programs would be a nice addition. Love being able to go to 1 central location to watch my streaming shows (when I am forced to watch it that way)

However, why do some shows have limited availability? I was going to watch Sanctuary, the Sci-Fi channel show that premiered last fall and was re-posted on Hulu, and the episodes literally had less then 1 month availability before they were pulled.

BTW, if you were a fan of the Outer Limits (the 90's version). Select episodes are posted on there now.