Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Cancel Request for items at buy.com, should I trust it?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Cancel Request for items at buy.com, should I trust it?

Old 04-10-01, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I requested cancellation for a few items at buy.com. When, or if they go through, should I trust that it was really cancelled? I have heard people complain that their cancel didn't go through even if it said that it did, and they still got the order. What have been some people's experiences with this? The orders won't be shipping for about a month so I have time to wait for the cancel to go through, as I know that they are slow with it. Should I call in to make sure? I've been a long time customer, but this is my first cancellation because they seem to be going downhill, and I would prefer to just not work with them anymore.
Old 04-10-01, 11:20 PM

It depends, if it hasn't shown cancelled on the status screen by next month. It's shipping. Buy treats a request to cancel as a request to ship usually.
Old 04-10-01, 11:32 PM

Ok, when I made a cancellation request, the items' status went to "Cancellation Requested", but now they are back to "On Order".

Old 04-11-01, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cancelled "The Rock: Criterion" about 3 weeks ago, it showed "cancellation requested", and shipped last Friday, 2.5 WEEKS AFTER I CANCELLED. I emailed them about it. Their automatic response? "It was already in the shipping process". Bull doodies. I threw "return to sender" on the box, and disputed the charge on my CC as they wouldn't have refunded the shipping charge.
Old 04-11-01, 12:44 AM

uh oh.
Old 04-11-01, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buy will admit when asked that they can't cancel anything (or at least that was what they told me).

Orders placed immediately transfer to a fullfillment center, and they had no mechanism for stopping it. My only recourse was to send it back after getting it.

Old 04-11-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I cancelled that piece of s*!@ rocky collection through the on-line order status yesterday and today it is marked as cancelled and the order completed.
Old 04-11-01, 07:47 PM

The items say "Cancelled" now. I guess I will just wait until release date to make sure it really was.
Old 04-11-01, 08:22 PM

Recent buy.com Hassle

I recently had my CC compromised by a hacker at another site. I had used it for 2 preorders at buy.com and asked buy.com (via email) to change the cc number to the new number. The response was I needed to cancel the orders and reorder the items (and pay the $.30 increase in shipping charges). If I had any trouble, I was told to call CS. I tried to cancel the orders, but their web site said they could not cancel the order. That was when I found out they discontinued their telephone support. After several angry email message, they cancelled the orders (they originally appeared as cancelled, and then disappeared from the site). Finally, another CSR responded that I did not need to cancel the orders, that I could change the cc number when they attempted to ship the orders (which would have caused a delay in the shipping). All of this on top of not so gradually increasing prices.
Old 04-12-01, 01:53 PM

I agree with most of the comments, specifically that Buy.com sucks with their cancellation of titles/orders.

One point that has been overlooked is that if Buy ships you an order AFTER you tried to cancel it, they will take it back and give you a credit.

Of course, is it really worth all the trouble to send the item back???
Old 04-13-01, 04:52 AM

Never Rely on Buy Cancel Button

I cancel an item 1month, and it was still in the limbo
cancelled requested. I assume it got thru at least on a pre-order that i cancel 1 month ahead. However, I was wrong,
it shipped and I used their return RMA shipping printout to return it. 2months later no refund yet on my credit card.
Had to call them to see why nothing been happening, and then they say it'll my refund will show up 2-3 days later.

Lesson learn. Always call them!!!
Old 04-13-01, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrBEAViS
The items say "Cancelled" now. I guess I will just wait until release date to make sure it really was.

I have cancelled many items(preorder)well before they were to be released that is......and have never had them ship any cancelled item!!!
Old 04-14-01, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only experience cancelling an order with them was no-hassle. Last summer I cancelled an item from my order that was on backorder, and the cancel was successful and the item was never shipped to me.
Old 04-14-01, 09:36 PM

I cancelled my order of the 10 Movie Oliver Stone Collection and when I realized it was the VHS set, and reordered the DVD set instead. For two months, the status of the VHS set said "Cancelled."

I get home one day, and there is a large box on my doorstep. And inside, I find 10 tapes. I check online, and "Cancelled" had mysteriously transformed to "Shipped."

WTF?

Its not like it was 1 hour, or 1 week, or 1 month even -- it was 2 months later.

Go figure.

Needless to say, I shipped it back to them on their dime.
Old 04-15-01, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
It has been my repeated experience that the quickest way to get Buy.com to ship an order is to put a cancellation request in to them.
Old 04-16-01, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have only cancelled from buy.com twice. Both times the DVD's release dates had been pushed back a few times, and after the new release date came around, buy.com didn't ship the items to me. I e-mailed them and they told me after 3 months on their system the order is dropped. Of course I could re-order the item at the new, higher price. So I cancelled, and they both went through.
Old 04-16-01, 12:03 PM

Cancelled twice, took a day or so for the cancellation to go through but no problems otherwise.
Old 05-03-01, 05:25 PM
Cool New Member

Has any one tried to cancel at buy lately,this is what I'Am getting from them. This is a pre order for 6/29/01.

We are responding to your email regarding order #xxxxxxx.

Thank you for contacting us at buy.com, the internet superstore.

We apologize for the confusion on order #xxxxxxx.

When we say this item has already entered the shipping process, that
means that the fulfillment center has already received and printed out
the order to fill once the video is available to ship.

We are only able to cancel orders within the 30 minute window, orders
need to be cancelled before the warehouse receives the order.

You now have a couple options. You can either accept or refuse the
shipment when it arrives. If you refuse the shipment, the carrier will
return it to us no questions asked. If you decide to accept the package
and return it to us yourself, you can follow our simple return procedure
as outlined on our web site.
You will find
that any unopened item can be easily returned for a full refund.

We do appreciate your patience and are sorry for the inconvenience.

Please write again if you have any other questions or concerns.

We look forward to serving you in the near future!

buy.com
the internet superstore