Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon shipping to Canada?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon shipping to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-01, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This shipping is ridiculous!!!! For one dvd it costs me 7.95 for worldmail. But in Amazons FAQ is says standard to canada is 4.00$? I see in the FAQ that it is 4.00$ but whenever i try to make an order all i get are the options of ither WorldMail or Priority Courier?! I have lots of 5$ promos which i want to take advantage of but its getting to be not worth it takeing the exchange rate and shipping into consideration!
Old 04-02-01, 07:07 PM

Its been 7.95 for at least a year.. Time they update their faq i guess.. I only order from them when i have enough gcs to get 3 or 4 movies for free (including shipping).. Not a chance their prices would beat retail store prices in canada (even withought the shipping charge)..
Old 04-02-01, 07:22 PM

I used to order most of my DVDs from Amazon.com, but with the exchange rate climbing and the high shipping charges it's only worth it now for titles that won't be available in Canada (or at a higher price this side of the border).

Most titles from Warner, MGM and A&E are often cheaper at Absound.ca. Even if the discounts are not so big at first sight, they bill in Canadian and their advertised US/CAN exchange rate is nearly 10% too low.

Unfortunately, they shipping charge are heavy for a single title and you can't order more than 8 DVD at once. But if you're ready to place for a larger order (and maybe wait for the item to get in stock), you would surely pay less.
Old 04-02-01, 08:50 PM

its a damn shame it really is!
Old 04-03-01, 03:24 PM

Matt-Foley, the $4 is standard shipping for BOOKs. DVDs have always been $6 + $1.95.

I emailed them once about the strange blanket shipping costs - why would shipping to a few hundred km up north cost the same as shipping to China or Russia which are on the opposite end of the globe?

Their response was something like "Our service is so good that we have to charge that much. You can reduce the per-item cost by ordering many items per order"

The didn't address the distance factor.

If it weren't for GC's I'd never order from Amazon.
Old 04-03-01, 05:00 PM

I could be dreaming - but I swear I heard somewhere that Amazon was looking to open a Canadian warehouse - something similiar to what B&N does.. that might reduce shipping... Anyone else heard this?
Old 04-03-01, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's why I never buy from Amazon. At times now, you even pay customs to add to that 8$ Shipping which by itself is the price of some dvd's... what a ripoff, I think they do it on purpose to only US customers will buy.
Old 04-04-01, 09:22 PM

Canadian warehouse would be wicked! 5$ Promos i have no use at all what so ever! I havnt come accross any non-promos in a while ither =/ If the shipping to Canada was just a few bucks lower they would have alot of my busness!