Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyplace that sells shipping boxes for CDs, DVDs, LDs???

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Anyplace that sells shipping boxes for CDs, DVDs, LDs???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-01, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The supply at local office stores sucks. About all anyone has is CD mailers which are close to $1 apiece.

Just wondering if there is any online outfit where I could buy boxes to ship media items like LPs, LDs, CDs and DVDs. I don't mind buying in lots of 50, 100, or maybe even more if buying in bulk like that would save a bunch. $.50 to $.75 per box I can handle and it would be nice to have boxes specifically made for shipping these items for a change. I ordered a Bags Unlimited catalog but just wondering if there is anywhere else while I'm waiting for it. Thanks!

[Edited by Wolfchild on 03-30-01 at 07:52 PM]
Old 03-31-01, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I order these types of mailers by the cartonful, and the prices at ALL online stores seem to suck, especially after you add in absurdly high shipping costs. Your best bet is to check Ebay- just type in "CD Mailer", "DVD Mailer", etc. and you'll see all different-sized lots at good prices.
Old 03-31-01, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, didn't think of that...
Old 03-31-01, 11:52 AM

I used to order mine from ebay, but now I order from quill.com instead. It is cheaper in bulk from quill, and they offer free shipping.

Pluse code FX6 is good for an additional 15% off.
Old 03-31-01, 12:52 PM

The best place actually doesn't sell boxes - they're free. The only catch is you've got to ship via priority mail. Visit supplies.usps.gov and the post office will send boxes that are perfect for a disc (use the "small" video boxes) or there are larger boxes that fit several discs. There is also free "priority mail" tape to use. It's a great resource that not many people seem to know about.
Old 03-31-01, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

bradm20 thanks.....I might try a few of Quill's items. By the way, I entered the 15% off code and it accepts it, but shows a savings of 0%. I have not finalized my order yet....does the discount show up later?

DVDRules1 thanks.....I am using Priority boxes right now myself but I appreciate your suggestion....might come in handy for someone else anyway. Basically what I need here though are some good mailers so I can send things media rate and 1st class too. I've been selling too many things to rely on the spare boxes I have lying around. I like to offer buyers two shipping rates on things like CDs and DVDs....I find that if I offer a media rate shipping as well as Priority it seems like I get more and better bids on eBay - the bidders just seem more inclined to spend more if they think you're not gouging on shipping.

Old 04-01-01, 01:08 AM

DVD Boxes...

We've gotten boxes from http://www.papermart.com -- the Vari-depth folder boxes work well for DVDs. When ordering bundles of 3 (the last order @ 50 boxes/bundle) of 8 1/2 x 6 x (1/2 to 2 inches), the cost comes out to about $0.50 per box.

They work well -- they are able to hold one regular dvd up to a 2 DVD box set in one package. A DVD in small bubble wrap fits perfectly, with just a little bit (1/2 inch) of extra space on the end, which you can then fill with a little bit of paper or a few peanuts to take up the space. You select the height of the package, fold in, then tape closed.

Of course, if you want, there are other (bigger and smaller) sizes of this box. Have fun.

[Edited by Duaneb1 on 03-31-01 at 11:17 PM]
Old 04-01-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Duaneb1....Papermart looks like my best option yet. I do not mind paying for these boxes if I can hold the price to around 50 cents or less. Even with shipping this place kills Quill on price-per-box. I wish I didn't live so far from them...freight runs me a little bit but at least it looks like they don't gouge on shipping.
Old 04-02-01, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hehe I keep finding better and better options but I finally made my purchase from Bags Unlimited. Anyone interested in buying boxes or protective items for DVDs ought to check this place out...my free catalog arrived in just a couple of days.

$138 got me this much stuff, shipping included:

100 3 mil LP/LD plastic sleeves $12.05
50 LP/LD 13"x13" corrugated mailers $39.80
50 CD corrugated mailers $21.00
100 DVD corrugated mailers (and these are specifically made for DVDs - fits 1-3 and a bargain at 37 cents each) $37.30
50 VHS corrugated mailers $28.20

And I got a free gift of 25 poly CD sleeves (you get gifts when ordering amounts over $35, $50 and $100).

My shipping department will be one happy camper when this stuff gets here
Old 04-02-01, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another place to try is http://www.uline.com
They have shipping supplies of all shapes & sizes. Flipping through their catalog, I see a multitude of box sizes, including ones specifically for CD's & tapes. I also see DVD jewel cases for those people out there that need desperately want to replace their snappers (item S-6780, box of 100 for $800).

Disclaimer: I have no idea how their pricing measures up, but at least they have a good selection

Old 04-02-01, 06:36 PM

Wolfchild, please let us know how all of those mailers work when you get them. I'm all for getting a good deal on shipping supplies cheaper -- and like you, I'm willing to buy in bulk quantities (50 to 250+).

Old 04-02-01, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah I'll post an update once I receive them. These DVD mailers look similar to what I've seen used by Bigstar, CD Universe and other online stores. They tape shut, which I'd do anyway. I like that they are exactly big enough to fit a snapper or keepcase, and they'll fit up to three discs if necessary (1 3/4 height). What I usually do when just sending one in a box like this is add some bubble wrap, or sometimes just wrapping the DVD in a plastic grocery bag is enough (the excess of bag on one side makes a great cushion and the package could even be left in the rain and not damage the DVD).
Old 04-02-01, 09:31 PM

I have received a number of laser discs that used LP/LD mailers from Bags Unlimited and I can highly recommend them. For LD box sets, I prefer the boxes available at Uline, which has a much wider variety.

Although you're not supposed to do this, there are priority boxes that fit dvds very well but can be turned inside out and used for media mail instead. I've never been questioned on this.

[Edited by BigT on 04-03-01 at 07:07 AM]
Old 04-02-01, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The last round of postal boxes that I received had "USPS" stamped all over the inside part of the box, so it looks like they've done this to discourage turning the boxes inside out. I wouldn't try it if you get these new boxes....although at worst they would probably just want you to send it Priority.
Old 04-10-01, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I received all of my Bag Unlimited supplies yesterday and I am pleased with them. They are all of the kind that need taping to seal up which is just fine with me. Everything fits the media it was intended for just right. Buying this stuff in bulk might not make sense for only a casual shipper, but anyone who ships a lot of this stuff it's worth looking into. The LP mailers I bought are a godsend - I can finally offer a cheaper media rate on my LPs and these boxes are just SO much better than trying to use Priority boxes - they fit up to six records beautfully. They'd be great for lasers too.

The DVD boxes, if they have a fault it is that they are just slightly snug - the cases fit pretty snug against the outside length edges. But they do fit, and the box closes just fine. The DVD does not move around because of this snugness. I also usually put the DVD inside of a plastic grocery bag and then into the box so they are quite secure. You can put up to three snappers or keepcases in one of these boxes.

Bags Unlimited's prices are better than usual for these supplies and they include shipping. Also, to get a good $$ rate per item, you only have to order like 50 or 100.....I know some of the other places I checked you really need to order in bigger quantities before you start getting any kind of a break.

[Edited by Wolfchild on 04-10-01 at 09:35 AM]
Old 04-12-01, 01:05 PM

For DVD mailers, I use Quill. In quantity (100), they charge about $26 which is 26 cents each, better than most. If you order 2 cases, that would qualify for free shipping, too.

Of course, you may not need that many!
Old 04-13-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvdirv
For DVD mailers, I use Quill. In quantity (100), they charge about $26 which is 26 cents each, better than most. If you order 2 cases, that would qualify for free shipping, too.

Of course, you may not need that many!

Which size box are you ordering from Quill? I can't find a box at this price in their catalog. Thanks!
Old 04-13-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's what I was thinking. dvdirv, I'm all ears but can you give a link and item #?? I looked around on that site but couldn't find any specifically-made-for-dvd mailers, and nothing at that price....
Old 04-13-01, 01:03 PM

Go to Quill's web site (or order from catalog):

Item is: Air-Kraft Self-Seal Recyclable Bubble Mailer
Cat. No: 801-SS01-BB

This is a generic bubble mailer perfect size for 1-2 DVDs. Outside dimension is 7 3/4 x 12. Inside is 7 1/4 x 10 1/2.

Prices: (100 per box) 28.99 (1-2), 26.99 (3-4), 23.99 for 5 or more.

There is a rebate coupon off of these (FX6 or FX9, I think) for an extra 15% off. Remember if you order at least $45, shipping is free with Quill.

Quill also offers the same mailer in white for $1-2 more per case.

Hope this helps!

[Edited by dvdirv on 04-13-01 at 11:06 AM]
Old 04-13-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh okay, I was looking at corrugated mailers. That's probably a pretty good price on the bubble mailers but I really prefer to use cardboard....I'm just paranoid and a cardboard mailer just gives me a little more peace of mind even though it costs more.
Old 04-15-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDRules1:

Thanks for the USPS link, the three post offices by me do not get the video boxes in anymore that I use all the time to ship on eBay. Just placed a nice order with some more goodies like free tape THANKS!
Old 04-17-01, 02:11 PM
Banned

Westnc.com has DVD mailer

I've received some DVD mailer samples from

http://www.Westnc.com

They have a mailer - product #10DVM - that works for most DVDs. Some studios have cases that are a bit larger than the standard case, and the mailer is too snug for those. But it works for 85% of DVDs. Here is the info:

10DVM Single DVD Case Mailer
Size: 7.8" long x 5.5" wide x .65 depth
Wt: 1.6 oz. empty