Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Which Online stores now DON'T SUCK ?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Which Online stores now DON'T SUCK ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-01, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've gone from reel to express (occasionally amazon) and I'm currently using absound.ca. Pretty reasonable price + international shipping although their site is not very user friendly. Shipping to Japan takes only about a week
Old 03-31-01, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had a pretty good experience buying from digitaleyes.com.
Old 04-02-01, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Bobby Shalom
I just had a pretty good experience buying from digitaleyes.com.
Now, I gotta sort of take that back. I just received duplicate copies of DVD's I had already received along with new charges for these duplicate DVD's, from Digital Eyes. I must say the sales person on the phone was very courteous and quickly cleared things up, explaining of a computer glitch they've had and promptly credited my card.
Old 04-04-01, 09:06 AM

I use Amazon, Buy, express, Barnes and Noble, ebay and half, and I have never had a problem. I would be interested to know how many of you that complain have abused coupons and other things at these sites or complained all of the time. I wonder if there is a correlation here?
Old 04-04-01, 04:58 PM
Cool New Member

had great service from ABSOUND.CA & THUNDERDVD.COM both canadian!good prices and dvds to your door within 1 week! recently ordered blair witch experience from absound for little over £18 shipped and arrived within 6 days.
Old 04-04-01, 06:20 PM

I now use Amazon, and Outpost.com for most of my purchases. Never had a problem with either so far.
Old 04-04-01, 06:30 PM

DVDEmpire is awesome! Any in-stock item they have listed is usually shipped to me within two hours of my order if I order during the day. I love that place! They get all of my online business unless my item isn't in stock, which is rare!!
Old 04-04-01, 07:25 PM

http://www.HMV.com
Wicked site for canadians IMHO
Old 04-05-01, 05:21 PM

BLACK STAR RULES!

http://www.blackstar.co.uk

Black Star is the best! It can't be beat for price and shipping. International shipping is free! I get all my Region 2 discs at Black Star, and the customer service is unbeatable!
Old 04-05-01, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will throw my support to Laser's Edge as a good store to purchase from. They ship very fast if all your titles are in stock, and $3.50 flat charge for shipping in the United States. Preordered DVDs are shipped as soon as they arrive in stock. My experience has been they get them to you about a day before or on release date, and their customer service is excellent. Their prices for in stock items are usually cheaper than Amazon, and preorders slightly more. But the flat shipping seems to offset the difference.
Old 04-06-01, 07:38 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Wolfchild
Usually I use Amazon 90% of the time for preorders, just because of the customer service level and the extent to which I'm able to alter orders or cancel items online. In these times of no coupons, reliability is the most important thing to me.

TWEC seems okay, but I don't entirely trust their billing and customer service, maybe they're just experiencing growing pains though.

Other than Amazon, I'd say that DVD Empire, DVD Planet, and Digital Eyes all seem like very good outfits to order from. Sure there isn't the massive discounts and coupons, but they seem like stores you can trust. Digital Eyes, and both of those others, seems to have great prices on catalog titles, especially Criterions.
I feel I have to respond to the comments about Digital Eyes in this post.

I have used Digital Eyes for a long time, and over the past year or so have spent hundreds of dollars with them. You would think a person such as myself would be considered a valued customer.

Think again.

Last March, "The Killing Fields" was released, and I dutifully ordered a copy. The release date came and went. I checked my mail. Nothing.

I received two cryptic e-mails from "[email protected]" (who apparently runs the company), each simply stating "Thank you for your order." Thanks, but no, thanks...the order was nowhere to be seen.

Over the course of about 3 weeks, I sent THREE e-mails to both addresses listed for their company, asking where my order was (they conveniently omit the capability on their site for canceling an order already placed). In my third letter, I indicated that mistakes can be understandable on anyone's behalf, but what I find irritating is a lack of effort in rectifying these mistakes. And I really find it irritating when NO ONE is willing to extend the courtesy of replying to my e-mails about an order I've placed and have not received.

To this date, I have yet to receive a single reponse to any of the e-mails I sent to these people.

Because of the contempt and neglect with which I have been treated by Digital Eyes, you had better believe that I will no longer be willing to spend any more money with them.

Carl Alessi

PS: You won't believe this...

It is now one day after I submitted this post. I just received via e-mail a note from Digital Eyes indicating that my copy of "The Killing Fields" has just shipped. That's it. No further explanation.

Do you think those guys read these posts, or is it just a mysterious coincidence?

[Edited by Carl Alessi on 04-07-01 at 01:37 PM]
Old 04-08-01, 06:28 PM

I have been using dvdempire. The shipping has been mostly on time and the prices are pretty good.
Old 04-09-01, 01:40 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
thanx for the feedback guys

appreciated
Old 04-09-01, 03:15 AM
tcw
Cool New Member

Nothing can beat the poor (or should I say NO) service that I received from DVDPlanet as a first-time customer.

I refuse to order anything from them even if they were the last online store on earth. Seeing the manner in which they totally ignore their customers, it is only be a matter of time for DVDPlanet to meet an early "Chapter 11"

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=98543