Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Express.....can it be saved?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Express.....can it be saved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-01, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with several of the threads I've read here on DVD Talk that Express.com appears to be out-of-steam. The financial environment for dot coms is horrible right now, even for companies who's business plans are sound. I will be disappointed if Express goes the way of the dodo bird, as they seemed to care and try hard. It's obvious that they are out of money as their stock situation is terrible. Maybe they should appeal to their customers, offer a $20 off coupon good for anything on the site at the cost of just $5 or $10. If enough people responded, it would generate instant income, allow them to transfer that money into product and then hopefully, help them get back on track. Any thoughts?
Old 03-06-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A $20 off coupon for anything on the site would generate buyers, but not necessarily any income.

When you see stores going out of business and offering huge discount deals, it's not to generate income to stay in business or make a last grab at some cash, it's to get rid of all the merchandise they can't return to the distributors.

Unfortunately many online retailers are going to go down if they don't have a B&M base, or aren't being run as someone's extra income. Some online retailers are actually closing their website and restructuring themselves as a B&M with no web presence.
Old 03-06-01, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by orangeblue
Maybe they should appeal to their customers, offer a $20 off coupon good for anything on the site at the cost of just $5 or $10. If enough people responded, it would generate instant income, allow them to transfer that money into product and then hopefully, help them get back on track. Any thoughts?
That's exactly how they got in this situation in the first place, same with reel.com.
Old 03-06-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Such a shame, I used to really like DVDExpress back in the old days. I thought they had great potential.
Old 03-06-01, 03:54 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I lost enuf money in the market with all these dot coms, that no matter how many coupons I used over the last few years, I still lost a bundle.
Old 03-06-01, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Express and Bigstar will soon be joining Reel in the dotcom graveyard.. and that's just my personal opinion not that it's not completely obvious by now though
Old 03-06-01, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Moving...

Moving to Store forum.

--Heather
Moderator, DVD Talk & Reviews forums
Old 03-06-01, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, this is unfortunate. They were my largest provider when I started on DVDs. They have a nice setup and good details. You can tell which DVD you are buying -cough-buy.com-cough-.
Old 03-07-01, 07:57 PM

Aren't they really all doomed? Amazon included. The only reason I buy online is for the cheap price. Once they have to earn a profit, the cheap price goes away and so does my business.

God forbid they ever do pass a sales tax law like they're talking about here http://biz.yahoo.com/fo/010307/0307tax.html - that would really be the final straw.
Old 03-07-01, 09:27 PM

I think they deserve a chance to be saved. I just ordered 4 DVDs and Microsoft encarta from them. I just made sure that the products were in stock before I finalized it.

Low and behold, 6 hours later, all of the items have shipped.

I haven't had any bad experiences with them except for the preorders that failed to ship because of their financial difficulties.

I'm doing my part to support them by buying all my other DVDs (except for preorders) from Express.

All my preorders are from Amazon which is annoying because they never send out preorders early.