Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Why is it called HALF.COM when...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Why is it called HALF.COM when...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-01, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
...most of the DVDs are nowhere near half off the list price? Started looking through the listings, and found such "great deals" as ANNIE GET YOUR GUN ($22.63 for list $24.98). ALICE'S RESTAURANT ($17.34 for list $19.98) etc - most of the prices can be beat at any number of etailers. The other thing I found interesting is that lots of the listing are posted by online stores!
Old 03-04-01, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They use to be at least half off when they first started the site!!!
Old 03-04-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,232 Posts
Those of us who actually want to sell our discs in a timely fashion list at half off or less. I think I have only ever listed one disc there for more than 50% of retail and I have sold quite a few.

I personally take great joy in dramatically undercutting the posted prices for DVDs on there. Look at the prices for "Like New" copies of Suicide Kings for example.

http://www.half.com/products/videos/...2041787&cond=5

There are a couple of decent prices there (although none under half) but most of those have been there for months I bet. Last week I listed a copy in "Very Good" condition for $6.25 and it sold in 4 hours. I guess that sellers don't realize that a lot of people "wish list" titles they want at a certain price (half off or less I suspect). I have a feeling that most of my titles go so fast because my price causes someone's wish list email notifier to go off.

Old 03-04-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know how many times I've asked the same question?
Old 03-04-01, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are we allowed to post HALF.com links?
Old 03-04-01, 11:40 PM

I got the soprans season one dvd set unopened for 50 dollars, but other than that not to may good deals. I have lots of old VHS tapes on there some of which i list for more than half but thats becouse it not worth the trouble for less than 5 dollars.
Old 03-04-01, 11:44 PM

oh if you want to see something funny someone has SOTL:CC listed for 199.00 and its open! while others have it factory sealed listed below $50.00.
Old 03-05-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Once upon a time you couldn't put anything on there for over 50% of list price. Then they retracted that restriction to allow for special cases (for example, a signed disc).
I just blew through my entire VHS collection in under 2 weeks. I would just try to price my items competitively with whatever else it posted. Now I'm just waiting for my Columbia House DVD orders to come in to replace the VHS.

The prices I had ranged from $2.75 up to $10. Granted, it's not a lot, but the $200 total sure will help with my DVD replacements.
Old 03-05-01, 05:12 PM

This was a good website when it first opened up, and had all those coupons. I got about 6 different good movies, most still sealed, for an average price of about $4. Now I look on the site and see all these over half prices and just laugh. Even with the coupons that are out there now for returning customers...it's still more expensive in many cases, than my local BB.
Old 03-06-01, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yeah...what a joke
Old 03-06-01, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
eBay bought them.
Half hasn't been the same since.
'Nuff said.
Old 03-07-01, 11:03 PM

I like half.com. So far, I have been able to use them to sell every dvd I have bought "sight-unseen" and didn't like for more than what I paid for it. I have only used them for selling, though, I haven't bought anything through them yet.
Old 03-07-01, 11:31 PM

I use them to sell my dvds after watching if don't like.
Interesting but I usually got the money I paid. I know it is not good for buyer but very good for me. Most of the time I could not understand why they buy these dvds even sealeds are same price! Maybe using coupons and saving a few bucks but not a good deal to buy a used one for a few bucks.
I bought 2 criterions up to now from them. They were really under half but only catched 2 times