Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon order gone wrong

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon order gone wrong

Old 02-28-01, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay I'll try to make this clear and to the point. I used the $10 off $35 coupon to order "Almost Famous" and "In the Line of Fire: Special Edition". I used $36.00 in gift certificates from Echo to pay. When I found out that "Almost Famous" was not going to have the director's cut I wanted to cancel the order. I decided to order the "Clerks: Animated Series" and then e-mail customer service to combine the orders. That was done no problem and I then cancelled "Almost Famous". My total in the "My Account" actually showed a negative balance. I e-mailed customer service and they said "Sorry you couldn't access you gift certificate balance. Here's 5 dollars for your trouble." Didn't think much of it until it shipped yesterday and the e-mail said that it was paid by my VISA card. I replyed to the e-mail and still haven't heard back. Has this happened to anyone else and is it possible to get a credit back?
Old 02-28-01, 06:36 PM

Follow up

Well I just got an e-mail from Amazon. They are going to credit back my card. Customer service at Amazon is fab!
Old 02-28-01, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where did you get the 10 off 35 dude? Are they common property or special only?
Old 03-01-01, 06:56 AM

37, for future reference, pay attention to the expiration dates on the GCs you use at Amazon. Depending on which one it was, that $10 off $35 coupon (actually a promotional GC) expired at the end of December or January. When you modified your order, Amazon's system recalculated the amount owed and threw the $10 GC out when it saw that it had already expired. That's why you wound up getting a negative balance charged to your Visa card.

So the rule of thumb is: never modify an Amazon order once the original expiration date of a coupon/GC has been reached or you'll lose it.
Old 03-01-01, 04:45 PM

Actually...

The $10 off $35 was sent in the mail to existing customers in Dec or Jan. I hope they send some more offers our way.

Actually Miser I thought about it and that's not exactly what happened otherwise my card would have been charged for $10 rather than $35. I've made all kinds of changes with promo gift certificates and as long as you do it in a certain order you won't lose it. I specifically e-mailed customer service to combine the order before I cancelled "Almost Famous" so I wouldn't lose the coupon. Anyway it's all good. DVDs should be arriving soon!