Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Who is the best?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Who is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-01, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see a lot of rants, and only a few happy customers. Who
do you guys like best? Price, shipping, customer service,
etc. I have only used a few myself and have not been
too impressed. Amazon's site works, but the prices seem
high...
Old 02-26-01, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

buy.com
good shipping, price, bad service.
When you make your order, just remember, it's permanent.
Old 02-26-01, 02:12 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Best? Nothing stands out anymore..
Old 02-26-01, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,338 Posts
http://www.DVDEmpire.com

Old 02-26-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always had good service from Amazon, B&N, Borders, Outpost, and Tower.

Django's isn't so hot, just because they can take forever and a day to deliver something.
Old 02-27-01, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FoxDVD hit the nail right on the head.

These days its a struggle to get around all the sites and just find one that is ok.
Old 03-03-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I've always received just as expected, right on time from: Amazon, B&N, Borders, Buy.com, SamGoody and Tower. I've had a few delays with CDNow, but no bad experiences.
Old 03-04-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Every site has problems now and then. I've tried to stick to Amazon for the most part. I have their Visa card and using it earns me GCs at their store.

I did buy the X-Files Season 3 Box Set elsewhere cause I'd rather pay 62.00 instead of Amazon's 104.00.

I figure if I am going to have a problem I only want to deal with 1 company. Only had minor problems with them up till now. I'm very pleased with them.
Old 03-04-01, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Have had no problems with recent orders from Barnes & Noble, Sam Goody, Movie Gallery, Buy.com, Bestprices.com and Amazon
Other than lack of communication and 16 day delivery time, DeepDiscountDVD was fine.
Troma is an ongoing saga...
Old 03-04-01, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't think there is a best anymore either. It used to be Amazon for me. These days, I'd say I'm buying most of my stuff from Sam Goody. Their website could use a major overhaul though.
Old 03-04-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem I see is that no one company is consistent. So it's hard to know who is good and who is not good from one order to the next.

For example: I've ordered from DVD Planet twice. The first time, it was perfect. I had the DVDs in my hands two days after ordering. Couldn't have gone better. But the second time I ordered, I got no communication, and I'm still waiting for the DVDs to be delivered some 12 days later (I called them, and they said the DVDs shipped eight days after the order was placed, despite the fact that every DVD on my order was in stock when I ordered them). So, is DVD Planet a good etailer? It's hard to tell. They were great the first time. The second time, they're stinking. Which order is representative of most of their orders? I don't know.

Same thing with DeepDiscountDVD.com. I had a great experience with them. The order I placed on Feb 20th arrived on Feb 23rd, and I got order confirmation and shipping confirmation emails from them with no problem.

But you see that someone else on this thread didn't have as good an experience with the same company. Did I get lucky with my order? Or is their experience the aberration? I don't know.
Old 03-05-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have placed only one order DeepDiscountDVD, but I would certainly use them again. The price was great, though shipping time was about a week.
Price is my primary factor. No shipping charge & no tax will seal the deal!
Old 03-05-01, 12:12 PM

I have ordered hundreds of dollars from Amazon and on every order, I really have not had much of a problem, and if I did, I called and talked to the CSR's and it was always worked out. So, I would have to go with Amazon, with buy.com and towerrecords.com coming in close.
Old 03-05-01, 02:53 PM

I'd have to say that the only etailer that I've never had a problem with is DVD Empire. I used them for the first time in 1998, and then stopped when all the great bargains came along. I've been using them a bunch lately, and I'm still impressed. They ship quickly, and they give you great flexibility in changing your outstanding orders.

Amazon: slow to ship
Buy.com: extremely slow to ship, can't cancel orders
CD Now: use UPS, much slower than Priority Mail
DVD Planet: no way to check order status, no notification when orders ship, just raised prices
Express: refused to remove a fraudulent charge for $400. from my debit card
TWEC: website is hard to use, lots of items are out of stock

Old 03-05-01, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have several good sites to recommend for DVDs.

Amazon: reliable, good customer service, but don't expect preorders early. Have to love their site which gives you the ability to cancel, combine, or add gift certificates to an order. However, in stock prices have risen quite a bit, but preorders are somewhat reasonable at 30% off.

800.com: reliable, good customer service, honor mistakes resulting in some great deals like JB3 set for $23 and Ken Burns Baseball for $21. Unfortunately I don't like their shipping policy for preordered items released on different dates or out of stock and stock orders. I wish they would give you an option to ship when an order is complete to save on shipping cost.

Twec: Very impressed with them after my first order. Received 6 preorderd DVDs a day early. Offer coupons.

Lasersedge: Great customer service, competitive prices, shipping is only $3.50 an order, sell import titles, and seem to have a large selection of DVDs in stock.
Old 03-08-01, 01:43 PM

Partial shipping

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I wish they would give you an option to ship when an order is complete to save on shipping cost.[/B]
Lasermovies,

This option is available. Once you enter the secure check out the first page that gives all the shipping info has an option to ship all items as they become available.
This option allows you also to either ship all preorders when they are availble but instock items right away. Or you can ship everything when the final preorder becomes available.

If you have trouble using this feature please call customer service at 800-327-5815.

Best Regards,
Josh
movie/music
800.com
Old 03-08-01, 04:09 PM

Iwas surprised to see eople say they couldn't cancel orders at buy.com. I have done it on two occassions. I would have to say they are myfavorite site. I've never had a problem, and most pre-orders arrived the day they arrived in the stores.

Has anyone ever used reellove.com?
Old 03-08-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Partial shipping

Originally posted by JPerks
Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I wish they would give you an option to ship when an order is complete to save on shipping cost.
Lasermovies,

This option is available. Once you enter the secure check out the first page that gives all the shipping info has an option to ship all items as they become available.
This option allows you also to either ship all preorders when they are availble but instock items right away. Or you can ship everything when the final preorder becomes available.

If you have trouble using this feature please call customer service at 800-327-5815.

Best Regards,
Josh
movie/music
800.com
[/B]
I must have missed it the last time I was going to preorder some DVDs. I decided not to place the order because the shipping costs were too much.
Old 03-08-01, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my top vote is for 800.com, since buy.com has fewer deals

At this point, I definitely give 800.com the top ranking, ever since buy.com has stopped "focusing" on entertainment media. In my view, 800 has the best balance between decent prices overall, some occasional great deals, outstanding customer service, and the willingness to honor their mistakes (i.e. the Bond set). I've placed at least 20 orders with them over the last year, and have always been taken care of when there's a problem (free shipping labels for defective discs, etc.). Sometimes I've had to call one extra time to get them to do a refund, but it's always come through. When buy.com was offering coupons, they also got a lot of my business. Now, if 800.com would still offer us an occasional coupon, that would be great.

JPerks, thanks for posting that info about the shipping option. I also thought that we were "stuck" with the shipping structure, but it's nice to know there's an option to wait a little and get the "package deal" on shipping.

Old 03-08-01, 06:34 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is my preference:

1. Amazon.com - Excellent customer service. Price is average or below average nowsaday but the service kicks ass. They are fast to correct problems, and they are willing to cross ship replacement without having to receive the bad DVD first. One drawback is you never know if they ship your order separately, and how they package your DVDs(oversized box, folded box just the size of the DVD, or padded envelope). And they won't ship preorders early.

2. Buy.com - Excellent price and packaging (oversize box). Customer service is average. If you want your damaged DVD replaced, they got to receive it first before sending out replacement. Also, once you place an order, you got about 30 minutes or so to cancel. After that, it is permanent. Will ship preorders early!

3. 800.com - Fast and good service. They even throw in a pack of popcorn for your refreshment while watching your new DVD.