Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon shipped two ... what would you do?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon shipped two ... what would you do?

Old 02-08-01, 03:34 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone. I wanted to present to you a situation and get your feedback.

A close friend of mine recently ordered a DD/DTS receiver from Amazon.com and received not only one, but TWO of them, two days apart.

Since the package shipped, he was tracking the package and noticed it arrived a day or so earlier than it was expected. Thrilled to have received it, he didn't even notice the UPS shipping label on the box had no tracking number listed. The packing list was attached to the outside and did match up to his order number as shown on Amazon.com. I helped him hook it up, and he's extremely thrilled with it. This was Monday.

Then on Wednesday morning, a second box arrived from Amazon, a little bigger and better padded than the first, but it also contained the same identical receiver! That UPS shipping label did feature the tracking number shown on Amazon.com, and the tracking feature did indicate the package was delivered at the time he said it arrived. The packing list was included inside the box this time, everything identical to the first one except for some numbers at the very bottom left corner indicating what I'm guessing to be the shipping time & date (which were one day later than the first).

Basically, Amazon shipped two of the same item, most likely because two printouts of the packing list were made and two different employees prepped the item for shipping. He couldn't have really been charged twice for the item simply because about 60% of the cost was covered by a gift certificate, which can't be used twice. Since the first package that arrived had absolutely no tracking number on its label (and only about one inch of the three-inch tracking barcode, for some reason), I seriously doubt Amazon has any clue that this mistake was made. This item sells on their site for $249.95.

If this had happened to you, which of the following would you do?

1) Contact Amazon customer service and request a UPS pick-up or a prepaid label for the return of the duplicate item, letting them know that the mistake was made.

2) Return the unopened item as if it were the one shipped from the order, thus getting a refund.

3) Sell the extra receiver on eBay or through classified ads.

4) "Return" the unopened item to Circuit City, which sells this model, without a receipt in order to get store credit to use toward a DVD changer, speakers or other needed items. With this situation, they can resell the receiver and recoup any money lost by "selling" him something with the store credit.

5) Other.
Old 02-08-01, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Christmas of '99 i ordered a bunch of toys for my nieces and ended up getting two orders of three separate toys, maybe around $30-$50. i just wrapped the extra ones and my nieces got identical presents, thus no jealousy. i kind of looked at it like a Christmas bonus. Fate shining down on my nieces. Plus the fact that Amazon had almost delayed the packages so that they wouldn’t arrive in time for Christmas, made the decision not to notify them of the error much easier.

Now, that said, a receiver is a whole other deal. That is substantially more money, and unlike my gifts, it is a far more personal profit kind of thing. Me, i would feel pretty guilty keeping the extra one and selling it. Karma would probably bite me back for doing that, so i would do the honorable thing an return it. That’s just me, a bit of a contradiction, maybe, but my conscious would rest easier returning it.

[Edited by iaido on 02-08-01 at 01:40 PM]
Old 02-08-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd call Amazon... maybe they'll let him keep it, but if not, at least he'll do the right thing. (Plus what if he sells it and they find out about the mistake!)
Old 02-08-01, 05:17 PM

I was a boy scout so I'd contact Amazon. Of course I doubt they'd reward the honesty with a $10 off GC or something. I'd also be worried that all packages leave their own postal trail... BUT it is up to you.

Give it back. Worst case scenario is that you save the other poor sucker from being screwed out of an expensive receiver that Amazon won't replace because they show it delivered.

I will say that Circuit City is a bust due to their strict return policy. With no receipt you would have to provide them with the credit card number that paid for the item. I got 2 DVDs as gifts from my dad who actually did buy them at circuit city. He paid cash and didn't send along the receipt so when I went to return them(unopened) they still would not take them back even after I spoke to the manager and told him that's a crock of ****.
Old 02-08-01, 09:46 PM

Amazon did a similar thing to me, though I paid 100% in gift certificates for a JVC receiver (that came in 23 days (slow), came damaged, sat at the repair shop for 3 weeks then forwarded to JVC midwest repair shop with no cooperation and I still don't have it back). Aside from that, about a month later, unexpectedly this came for no reason:
EdgeAudio SW-12/320 Powered Subwoofer ($542.99).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...413162-3166113

I was in the same predicament as you, but was too tempted to at least audition it because I'd never afford one of these myself anytime soon. I called Amazon and told them of their error. Within a week UPS just showed up at my door and picked it up to return to Amazon. No $10 gift certificate for me.. a broken receiver -- I'd like fixed though. I didn't send the receiver to Amazon because too much hassel just to get that one. Though now I think the warranty repair was a really bad idea also.
Old 02-09-01, 01:41 AM
Cool New Member

The reason Circuit City was mentioned as a place to "return" the item is because their website says that if a factory-sealed item is returned to their store without a receipt, merchandise credit will be issued. It didn't mention that a credit card number would be required for any sort of verification. What if you received something as a gift and you had no way of getting that info from the buyer? Oh well.
Old 02-09-01, 07:34 AM
Cool New Member

Contact Amazon! There can be a poor soul desperately looking for the receiver. They'll notice it one way or the other anyway. It'll make you feel much better afterwards -but knowing that you've just thrown a big bunch of money out the window will be a pain -

Old 02-09-01, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

keep it...but of course i have no morals!!!
Old 02-09-01, 08:58 PM
Cool New Member

I hate to just jump in here, and I am not in any way advocating theft...BUT...isn't there something about if you receive something in the mail that you didn't order you are legally allowed to keep it?

I even swear I saw a public service announcement some years ago on this very issue. Am I nuts?

Karma being what it is, if you can sleep at night, then do what your gut tells you.
Old 02-09-01, 10:26 PM

I'd keep it for a few months, if they dont contact you sell it.... no morals here either...
Old 02-09-01, 11:03 PM
Banned

We still talking about your "FRIEND" here CoryB?
How about if it was YOUR screw-up and it was YOUR
business, would you want your "FRIEND" to take
advantage of YOUR mistake and put you out $249??
What happened to the old adage:
HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY
Old 02-10-01, 02:00 AM

Keep it then cancel the credit card you used so they don't try to charge you for their error.
Old 02-10-01, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is true that he could keep it without worry. Since he only ordered 1, and they shipped 2, he can legally keep the 2nd receiver and do with it as he wishes. That's a tough call morally though....
Old 02-10-01, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd return it. That's a lot of money, and it's possible some guy out there doesn't know where his item is.

It's not like you'd need two anyways. (I don't think, I'm not a techy when it comes to that stuff)

Amazon should show some gratitude though.... if they don't you'll just know you're much better then them.
Old 02-11-01, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Similar problem at twec.com, what would you do...

I've made a number of big orders with twec.com with their 25% off coupons, etc. One order was almost fulfilled (though it had some DVDs canceled on it and some still either advance or backordered).

I recently got a shipping notice for a new order containing a whole bunch of items already ordered in this older order. I did an order status of this order and found that it was a "replica" of my earlier order with one large shipment (around $200 worth of stuff) already shipped by Fedex to me.

I immediately called in through the handy 800 number provided here (they don't have on their site) and told them to fix this and asked how to deal with the shipment. I was told that the remaining items were being canceled and that I should go through the normal return process and might have to call again to get them to reimburse shipping charges more than $5 (which there likely would be).

The next day I got another shipment notice for over $200 worth of merchandise again from the same order, this time via USPS. I looked at the status, and nothing had been canceled. I called their customer service again and *demanded* that they get these canceled and said this was being taken care of. Now I had two shipments that I had to return via two carriers.

I received an email a few days later that a bunch of items had been canceled on this order, and then a subsequent note that the whole order had been canceled.

I just got a notice yesterday that one additional shipment had taken place on this order. I checked the order status again and there are still uncanceled items on this order even now as we speak.

I sent a nasty threatening letter to them after contacting my credit card which will probably take up to a month to get the charges reversed, since it's putting me over my limit and getting me penalties there (and they are using the same preauthorization that I had for the earlier order, so there's nothing I can do to stop subsequent charges on my CC). I'm faced with a move shortly and perhaps a shift of jobs and therefore I need every ounce of credit I can get.

I threatened that if I don't get a reversal of charges and a mailer that would completely pay for my return shipping charges (by *one* carrier) that I could have to get my charges reversed within a week, that I would consider these items (close to $500 worth) a gift and have my cc charges reversed.

Is there anything wrong (given the time spent on my countless attempts to try and get them to fix things) for me to at some point say, "They don't want their merchandise back or they'd stop sending it to me." and say that these are items to be "ebayed" later after I get my cc charges reversed? I'm certainly not going to spend a cent on return shipping or wait for them to recompense me with another round of phone calls, etc.

BTW, there are no local twec or affiliate stores around here in the bay area where I could return this stuff last time I checked their store locator.
Old 02-11-01, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Same thing happened with a South Park DVD. I ordered South Park Volume six, and got the multi pack. Thats two extra DVDs. I returned them to Best Buy for credit, because it was there mistake, not mine.
Old 02-12-01, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do the right thing. That way prices won't keep going up every five minutes.
Old 02-12-01, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Update on twec.com order...

Well in response to my nasty letter I sent to twec.com,
I got this response today.

[...]
Thank you for contacting us at TWEC.com.
Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience that has been caused. For any packages that you have not opened or are yet to receive please write "REFUSED - RETURN TO SENDER" on the outside and drop them into any mailbox.

Any items that have been received and opened you can do one of two things with. If you wish to return this order, for your convenience our stores now accept online returns. When returning an item to our stores please be sure that you bring your packing slip and email order confirmation or shipping notification forms. Please visit this URL to find your nearest TWEC stores:

http://twec.com/goto/stores

If you chose to return your order back to our warehouse we suggest that you insure this return as we are not responsible for lost or stolen returns.

Please visit this URL for further return instructions:

http://twec.com/goto/returns

If you return these items to our warehouse, please email us with the return postage amount so that we can credit your account accordingly.

Any items on any orders that we have in our system for you that have not shipped we are canceling immediately.

We thank you for your patience and understanding in this matter.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to e-mail us at [email protected] Please accept our sincerest apologies for this
inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Beth

[email protected]

==============================================

Anyone out there want to place bets on whether I'm talking to a robot or a human?

I mentioned in my initial note that I'd already verified that I don't live close to any twec.com or their affiliated stores. I also wonder if the same "RETURN TO SENDER" strategy works for both the FedEx and USPS shipments. Certainly not to the same mailbox! And then what guarantee do I have that I get my money back if the shipment doesn't get back to them!

Less than an hour later after receiving this note I get another shipping notice for another uncanceled item (this time a $100 box set). Sure they're canceling things! I check the order status and still see more remaining items uncanceled as we speak.

I think at some point of working beyond the terms of good faith, these become *GIFTS*! They will not listen to my attempts to fix things! They're probably canceling items on my legitimate orders that I do want to keep!

[Edited by DVDealer on 02-12-01 at 05:54 PM]
Old 02-12-01, 09:46 PM

Well legally you can keep the 2nd receiver.This happened to me with Amazon. I ordered Glory SE , I received the DVD and another box from Amazon aswell with a Handspring Prism Visor inside. It had the same order # as the DVD and listed the Glory SE on the receipt in both boxes.I called Amazon CS about this and they said it was my good luck and their misfortune( never gave them my order#).Flame me if you want but I'm enjoying my new toy courtesy of Jeff Bezos.
Old 02-12-01, 10:28 PM

dvdealer..... KEEP IT! i would never go to that much trouble for something not my fault. if they can't even have a person reply specific to your case, you deserve to keep it. if they question it, say you never received those packages.
Old 02-13-01, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well I would probably keep it and not give it back. why? everytime I try to "Do the right thing" I get screwed. its like the saying "No good deed goes unpunished."