Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What are Amex PP numbers?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What are Amex PP numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone was talking about this in the DeepDiscountDVD thread?

Just wondering - sounds useful whatever it is!
Old 02-06-01, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
They're great for online shopping. From the American Express web site:
quote:<HR>Now, rather than using your American Express® Card account number to shop online, you can use a secure, free Private Payments number instead. By using Private Payments, you will receive a unique number that is linked to your actual Card account each time you shop. Use Private Payments to protect your Card account information online.

Private Payments can be used at all web sites that accept the American Express Card. However, there are a few occasions for which you should continue to use your actual plastic American Express® Card number for your online purchases. These are:
* Instances when you will be required to present your actual plastic American Express Card to receive your purchase, including some airline and movie tickets – check each merchant’s policy carefully before you purchase!
* Recurring charges which are automatically charged to your credit card, such as your Internet Service Provider, phone or utility bills
* Instances when you store your credit card number at a web site, such as auto rental clubs or online stores.
* Orders placed over a month in advance, including back ordered items and hotel reservations

Try Private Payments today to make sure your online shopping experience is as safe as possible.
It's fast, easy, safe...and free!
<HR>

------------------
JuryDuty

''Don't blame me, I voted for Jack.''
My DVD's at DVD Aficionado
Old 02-06-01, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
And there's a whole, detailed FAQ here:

http://www26.americanexpress.com/pri...yments/faq.jsp

------------------
JuryDuty

''Don't blame me, I voted for Jack.''
My DVD's at DVD Aficionado
Old 02-06-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wauv, that is pretty cool!! And free?

I'm amazed
Old 02-06-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never heard of it myself, but it sounds like a single(/double) use CC # from your AMex CC account. Discover has a similar program on its' web-site.

As explained in the DeepDiscountDVD thread, it MIGHT be used twice in the event of a back-ordered item or such.

I would think it would help alleviate any CC # theft worries some people might have when providing that kind of info during checkout.

I've thought about trying it myself one day.
Old 02-06-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

actually, the number is good for 30 days according to American Express. That's what they told me when I thought it was only good once.
Old 02-06-01, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do these work like real credit card no's ? Like could they be used over the phone for annoying subscription type things that are hard to cancel?
Old 02-06-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yup, they are real credit card numbers linked to your AMEX card. limitless possibilities.
Old 02-06-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1) They are good for 30 days FOR one purchase (in case you generate one and don't use it right away)

2) They are very cool because the service is free.

3) I have been using them since 1/1 for pretty much all online purchases.

4) They do work for phone/mail order purchases too...theoretically you could use em anywhere, but B&Ms want to see an actual card.

AMEX rocks for online stuff
Old 02-06-01, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

--------------->
----Moving---> On Line Store forum
--------------->
Old 02-06-01, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IATL!
Old 02-06-01, 08:37 PM

Um, no. They are good for MORE THAN ONE transaction. I've done this before(inadvertedly), several charges and with different merchants on a single PP number. Their main protection is that they expire between 30-67 days.

From Amex's FAQ

You should generate a new Private Payments number for each online purchase, and you can use Private Payments numbers as frequently as you would use your Card.

Private Payments numbers have a limited-life because they expire within a minimum of 30 days and a maximum of 67 days, depending on the time of month the number is issued. A specific expiration date for your Private Payments number will therefore be provided to you when the Private Payments number is issued. The limited-life feature of Private Payments numbers provides enough time for merchants to process and fulfill your orders but limits the number of days the number can be used, thereby reducing the chance of the number being used fraudulently.

I've used them for tons of stuff too -- over the phone, on-line, whatever. They are brilliant.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by xcheckers:
1) They are good for 30 days FOR one purchase (in case you generate one and don't use it right away)

2) They are very cool because the service is free.

3) I have been using them since 1/1 for pretty much all online purchases.

4) They do work for phone/mail order purchases too...theoretically you could use em anywhere, but B&Ms want to see an actual card.

AMEX rocks for online stuff
<HR>