Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

No more Buy.com?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

No more Buy.com?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-01, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From http://www.f---edcompany.com :

Rumor has it buy.com will no longer sell entertainment items -- only computer and consumer electronics. Apparently all entertainment staff was let go today.

What do you think? Not that it matters to me. They only sold in US anyway.
Old 02-01-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Good lord, I hope not.

First Outpost.com and now Buy.com both with bad news today. This is not a good sign...
Old 02-01-01, 04:33 PM

Tough call. For a place as big as buy.com, I'd find it hard to believe they'd just drop it like that. True they don't make money, but behing Amazon they're probably the biggest name in the business. I wouldn't worry just yet.

How many times has CDnow almost gone under?

------------------
Duffman says a lot of things
Old 02-01-01, 04:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope not I just put in an order w/ a coupon that extends out to late Mar
Old 02-01-01, 04:55 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Check out their press release from today, http://www.irconnect.com/buyxpr/page....shtml?d=13975

They say that they are going to focus on their core categories of computers, software, wireless, and clearance because they have "greater potential to drive the business to positive operating cash flow". It goes on to say "The order economics of these categories are superior to those
generated by the entertainment stores, based on factors such as average order size, fulfillment and shipping and handling efficiencies, etc."

Between this and Outpost no longer shipping
Old 02-01-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"I'm screwed." - Gary Oldman, The Fifth Element.

Old 02-01-01, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, say it's not true. Man, that sucks.

------------------
Regards...
#Other TEAM 7 Member
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 02-01-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Personally, I say good riddance. Every experience I had with them was awful. Good prices aren't everything.

------------------
Inching ever closer to the 2000 post club...
Old 02-01-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is there another good site that's affiliated with dvdtalk? I personally would go with dvdplanet.com but they aren't. Any ideas?
Old 02-01-01, 09:45 PM

I guess I'm going to switch everything over to dvdempire personally. Anyone know though whether or not buy.com is going to ship out the orders they've already taken?

BTW someone who runs another forum mentioned they just received their new affiliate agreement which still had a section on video so maybe there is still hope. I imagine prices will go up though

[This message has been edited by nemein (edited February 01, 2001).]
Old 02-01-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why am I the only one that thinks 800.com has great prices in this thread? I mean, their CS is very good, site is nice, and prices are atleast on par, if not lower than buy.com's. If I don't have a coupon/gc, I'd definitely shop there.
Old 02-02-01, 02:17 AM

It's also being posted as true at Andantech.

To think Reel.Com trusted them to be our DVD retailer. Too bad. Another one bites the dust.
Old 02-02-01, 08:59 AM

Sounds like no more coupons to me. Bummer...

"The company, which has been gradually shifting away from its founding strategy of selling merchandise at ultra low margins, said it would focus this year on raising margins in order to clean up its balance sheet, and warned it would probably lose a lot of business in the process."

from http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/2001...arns_dc_3.html
Old 02-02-01, 10:59 AM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
could be a good reason to skulk around and see if they clear things out. They must carry some inventory. Maybe they'll blow it out like Etoys and KBKids (sort of) did.
Old 02-02-01, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They have been running radio ads for Buy.com liquidation sale at the D.C. Armory (Washington D.C.) 70% off, dvd's for 10.00, etc. 2,000,000 $ worth of merchandise must go. This weekend. Sounds to me like they are selling everything computers, dvd players, cameras. I think I will pass though.
Old 02-02-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Seems like they are going to continue selling DVDs, CDs, books and such, but won't be promoting them. Which probably means no more coupons, but definitely means no advertising these products.

Buy.com Restructures After Disappointing Fourth Quarter

Hawkins said the company was now set on an austere mission of stemming its losses and becoming cash-flow positive...He said Buy.com will continue to offer books, CDs, videos and sports equipment but will no longer seek to be a leader in all these categories at any cost.

Darin

------------------
DVDs are addictive
CDs are too

Want some gopher?
Old 02-02-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by ernestrp:
They have been running radio ads for Buy.com liquidation sale at the D.C. Armory (Washington D.C.) 70% off, dvd's for 10.00, etc. 2,000,000 $ worth of merchandise must go. This weekend. Sounds to me like they are selling everything computers, dvd players, cameras. I think I will pass though.
<HR>

I think you are mistaken. I believe the liquidation to which you are referring was advertised on tv spots and radio for brilliantbuys.com

Besides - these shows happen every few months or so. The prices are low, but mostly a scam IMHO. It is like the MarketPro "Computer Show and Sale" (which are mostly legit, but the vendors do their share of ripping off people). If you buy a TV there and something goes wrong, I'd worry about the "warranty".

Old 02-02-01, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

rfduncan,

I'am pretty sure it said BUY.com. The first time I heard it was 5:00am on my way to work this morning and I was like what? I will have to listen again.
Old 02-02-01, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by ernestrp:
rfduncan,

I'am pretty sure it said BUY.com. The first time I heard it was 5:00am on my way to work this morning and I was like what? I will have to listen again.
<HR>

I went to the DC armory website and the event listed for this weekend (incl today) is called "Sale of the Century." $5 admission.

http://www.dcarmory.com/events/index.html
Old 02-02-01, 01:19 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Red Dog:

I went to the DC armory website and the event listed for this weekend (incl today) is called "Sale of the Century." $5 admission.

http://www.dcarmory.com/events/index.html
<HR>

Anyone got time to head over there and tell us what this "sale of century" is about? Personally I would be surprised if it is somehow related to buy.com. It just doesn't make sense if you are having financial problems to ship a bunch of inventory cross country for a sale...
Old 02-02-01, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

rfduncan,

heard the ad again and they do say "the brillant BUYS.COM or BUY.COM" with BUYS.COM or BUY.COM really sticking out in their speech. Crooks.
Old 02-02-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sounds like a day at the fair. i bet they'll have a nice car outside and contest entry forms next to it. then you fill those out and someone calls you and says you won a "free trip to Mexico", just use your credit card now for the processing fee...

sorry.. just rambling.. that's the feeling i get about these types of places.
Old 02-02-01, 07:06 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by nemein:
Anyone got time to head over there and tell us what this "sale of century" is about?
<HR>

Sale of the century is a computer show for everything else. They sell computers, electronics, clothes, etc. Pretty much just about anything that can be had below MSRP is probably there.

I went to one here a couple of years ago and saw a lot of copies of name brand merchandise (reminded me of that Dateline special about the electronic stores in New York - the phone is a Panasanic (with the same font and type-style as Panasonic)).

While you might find some deals, nothing interested me much other than some Playstation games for cheap...