Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVD Planet - Experiences?

Old 12-28-00, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hi all,

I was just wondering about what your experiences have been with DVDPlanet. (First time orderer here). Thanks in advance for replies.
Old 12-28-00, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
This is a great place. It used to be called Ken Crane's going way back to long ago laserdisc days. I've been dealing with them for 10 years and have never had a negative experience online, on the phone or at their store in Westminster, CA (Image bought the mail order business from Ken Crane's a couple years ago but I have detected no change in their service). Prices are consistently 30% off and shipping charge is $2.50 per order shipped, no matter how much is shipped at one time. The only negative thing I'd say about them is they have no coupons.

[This message has been edited by movielib (edited December 28, 2000).]
Old 12-28-00, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info - coupons are cool, but I'd like one place to shop at that I know the deals are good (maybe not the best), but consistently good. (I also don't want my CC Number out at a lot of places). One question though, how do you check the status of an order?
Old 12-28-00, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Once you are registered you log in and then click on "my planet" and then on "order history".

Old 12-28-00, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep...good company!!! They were good as Ken Cranes and they are still good with their new name!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 12-28-00, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But that only gives you what your order was, not what its status is...? (ie shipped, backordered etc)...

quote:
Originally posted by movielib:
Once you are registered you log in and then click on "my planet" and then on "order history".

Old 01-01-01, 04:47 AM

new to this board and dvd's in general. you guys are a great resource for doing research on retailers.

i too was curious about dvdplanet's services. they sound like a fairly okay retailer to deal with. i sent an email to them and in the response, i was told they are in the middle of doing some upgrades. said they plan on having shipment tracking available soon. don't know when soon is, but i like that they responded to my email quickly.
Old 01-01-01, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:
Originally posted by -tofu-:
new to this board and dvd's in general. you guys are a great resource for doing research on retailers.

i too was curious about dvdplanet's services. they sound like a fairly okay retailer to deal with. i sent an email to them and in the response, i was told they are in the middle of doing some upgrades. said they plan on having shipment tracking available soon. don't know when soon is, but i like that they responded to my email quickly.

Welcome to DVD Talk, -tofu-.

I reiterate that DVD Planet (aka Ken Crane's) is as classy a retailer and e-tailer as you'll ever deal with.
Old 01-01-01, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have only placed one pre-order with them. No email order confirmation or email shipping notice but both titles arrived on the street date.
Old 01-01-01, 08:49 PM

I have been dealing with DVD Planet for over 6 years. They are by far the best company that I have dealt with, for either LD or DVD's. There prices might not be the greatest, but their coustomer service more than makes up for it.

------------------
Incoming!!!
Sgt. Hulka
Old 01-01-01, 11:03 PM

I have been generally pleased wtih DVD Planet, but have one problem with them.

Athough their shipping charge is very reasonable ($2.50 for any shipment, no matter how large), they often have to send multiple shipments (at $2.50 per crack) since many titles are out-of-stock.

I would place more orders with them if they would ship the entire order (I'm not talking pre-orders, here) for $2.50 no matter how many shipments are involved.
Old 01-02-01, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Out of curiosity, what are some sites with better prices?

quote:
Originally posted by Hulkabrgr:
I have been dealing with DVD Planet for over 6 years. They are by far the best company that I have dealt with, for either LD or DVD's. There prices might not be the greatest, but their coustomer service more than makes up for it.

Old 01-02-01, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:
Originally posted by stingo:
Out of curiosity, what are some sites with better prices?

Actually, with most of the great deals gone, DVD Planet is quite competitive with their consistent 30% off. Other sites have some items priced less and some more. Buy.com still has coupons once in a while which can usually get you a better deal than DVD Planet.

Old 01-02-01, 06:15 PM

Yes, the shipping policy is 2.50 per order, unless they decide they need to ship in several installments, then they charge 2.50 each time at their discretion. When I ordered 10 discs at once (no preorders) they started sending them a couple at a time. This shipping adds up, because other stores are cheaper when you're not saving on shipping. I told them I wouldn't deal with them anymore until they gave customers the option to wait and have everything sent together, as all other stores do.
Old 01-03-01, 08:19 AM

To brisco32:

The key element with DVD Planet's shipping policy is $2.50 per SHIPMENT, not per order as you suggested.

If you see my earlier post, this is the main complaint I have with DVD Planet. Their shipping charge can really get you if you order a lot of titles that have to be shipped separately.
Old 01-03-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indeed - I usually buy from buy.com (with coupons) but since I saw their prices go up I started looking for another source. DVDPlanet seemed to be a good solid choice - not the best deals perhaps but good enough to warrant coming back to. Plus I didn't want my CC number out at a lot of online stores. This discussion though highlights some of the things that need work - some kind of notification of shipment, and online tracking available from the website. The only thing I can see wrong with them is their erratic shipping policy - it's great if they have everything in stock, but sucks if you need more that one shipment. Do I have this right?

quote:
Originally posted by movielib:
Actually, with most of the great deals gone, DVD Planet is quite competitive with their consistent 30% off. Other sites have some items priced less and some more. Buy.com still has coupons once in a while which can usually get you a better deal than DVD Planet.

Old 01-03-01, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, I always wondered what happened to Ken Crane's.
Old 01-05-01, 05:47 PM
Cool New Member

Well, they screwed up on me but made good. I called about an order placed last week and they said they had it but never processed it for some unknown reason. They upgraded me to free Saturday overnight delivery right away. I was happy with the solution and the customer service.
Old 01-08-01, 02:25 AM

I just placed one of many orders with this great company. At the end of the ordering process I was given an option if I wanted them to ask me before they sent any backordered items with an additional shipping charge. I said yes.
Old 01-12-01, 01:17 AM

I can't understand why ANYONE would find this site acceptable. I ordered something that was "in stock" and with overnight shipping last Monday and it hasn't arrived yet, no invoice sent either. E-mailed customer service over a day ago....no reply. Can't track my order or see its status at all, and unlike any other site I've ever done business with, I can't cancel my order. And I don't know about my order, but I heard somebody else say they just made an order that hasnt' arrived in a while, yet DVDplanet still charged their cc. Unacceptable.

In my opinion and from my experiences (four total- all bad), DVDplanet.com sucks big-time.

------------------
DVDs For $ale on eBay: Serial Experiments Lain disc 1, Gundam Wing disc 1, Perfect Blue, and Man On The Moon:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/[email protected]
my e-mail is [email protected]
Old 01-12-01, 01:38 AM

They've always kept me happy! I would recommend before any other online company.

Old 01-12-01, 05:31 AM
Cool New Member

DVD Planet is a great store to shop from, both online and off. I've ordered a lot of DVDs from them with no problems whatsoever.

I was in the LA area recently and my hotel happened to be a few minutes away from the actual Ken Crane's DVD retail store. Let me just say it's like DVD heaven in there. Practically any DVD that was ever made was on their shelves. Friendly and knowledgable staff too. Must say it was funny to walk into an online store. Went in there on a Sunday and they were busy in the back packing DVDs for shipment.
Old 01-12-01, 11:09 AM

Why are people acting so giddy over dvdplanet.com? I know these kinds of things may have never happened to you guys, but how can you even look past the fact that you can't track your order or see its status, or cancel it? That seems extremely pathetic to me.

------------------
DVDs For $ale on eBay: Serial Experiments Lain disc 1, Gundam Wing disc 1, Perfect Blue, and Man On The Moon
my e-mail is [email protected]

[This message has been edited by demon2 (edited January 12, 2001).]