Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Shipping Strangeness

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon Shipping Strangeness

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-00, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sigh... go figure....

December 18th @ 6 PM-Amazon e-mails me a notice that Princess Mononoke was shipped first class mail.

December 23rd @ 12:15 AM-Thanks to Gift Certificate exchange, I ordered Star Trek III. Received shipping notice the same day first class mail.

December 26th @ 1:30 PM - Mail lady comes with both packages.

HUH?

------------------
"Holtz is no mere mortal." - Angel

Mark Holtz - Visit my corner of Science Fiction at Deep Space Franchise.
Old 12-26-00, 09:44 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Well, I'm happy.

The toy for my son just arrived the day after Christmas. Thanks for the expedited, reliable, USPS shipping with 10 days lead time, after screwing up the original order, Amazon. Good thing I did some last minute shopping.
Old 12-27-00, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Well, I'm happy.

The toy for my son just arrived the day after Christmas. Thanks for the expedited, reliable, USPS shipping with 10 days lead time, after screwing up the original order, Amazon. Good thing I did some last minute shopping.
<HR>

Old 12-27-00, 03:50 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Well, I'm happy.

<HR>

I also paid extra for expedited shipping and a doll came to my brother's house instead of a dvd player. The tracking info indicated it was delivered so I called a CSR and they sent out another DVD player. It did not arrive for xmas but the day after. To his surprise he received two gift wrapped DVD players. Think they will ask for one back?
Old 12-27-00, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by MarkHoltz:
Sigh... go figure....

December 18th @ 6 PM-Amazon e-mails me a notice that Princess Mononoke was shipped first class mail.

December 23rd @ 12:15 AM-Thanks to Gift Certificate exchange, I ordered Star Trek III. Received shipping notice the same day first class mail.

December 26th @ 1:30 PM - Mail lady comes with both packages.

HUH?

<HR>

Probably shipped from different distribution centers in different cities.

Old 12-29-00, 06:27 AM

Have you guys had delays with your shipping. For example, I pre-ordered Perfect Storm and it shipped a week after the release date after I emailed them about it.

I ordered National Lampoon Christmas Vacation a week before Christmas Day and it says that it ships in 24hrs, but it did not ship for 3 days, so I had to email them and finally they shipped it and upgraded it to priority, so I got it on Chritmas Day to watch.

Also, I ordered the Universal 2 packs, Erin Brokovich/Primary Colors and Happy Gilmore/Patch Adams and had a release date of 12/26 but 2 days later it still had not shipped. So I had to email them regarding it and it finally shipped.

It kind of sucks that Amazon does not ship pre-orders before release date like buy.com does but it sucks even more that they totally miss release date even though you pre-ordered it months in advance. I feel a little concern since if there's a delay in shipping I have no movies to watch on the weekend since they usually come on fri or sat.

Has any else had a pre-ordered movie ship past the release date from amazon.com?
Have you ever had to remind them by email that your order has not shipped even though the website said that it is in stock?
Old 12-29-00, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I now have this TV order...

* Order placed 12/10 with free shipping
* Order moved to "One On Hand" 12/11
* Complaint letter sent, reply received of "we are having trouble getting this popular item in stock" message (even though it is "on hand")
* Received email 12/23 stating I "may not get the item by 12/23" and that I was "given this info early so that I could make alternate plans if necessary". Nice early warning.
* Order upgraded to "next day air" on 12/26 at "no additional charge". Too bad a charge of $369 showed on the order summary with no offset.
* Complaint call made 12/26 pm, and was told that the shipping snafu would be "taken care of". Also was told it seemed like a TV was "in a bin with my name on it", yet fails to ship.
* Noticed that shipping had been bumped down to $50 on 12/27. Called to complain about that, and was told that "your $50 promo coupon would offset that". When I said that the $50 was the $50 off 200 electronic promo, and that had nothing to do with shipping, I was then told. "Oh wait... Don't worry, I bet the right amount will actually hit your credit card."
* Order stayed in "on hand" status until 12/27, when it changed back to "Ships in 24 hours status"
* Item moved to "shipping soon" status 12/28. Email message received that there was "problem with an expired credit card, but I see that has been fixed". Odd, since it wouldn't expire until 4/2002, and is the same one I used for all the other orders I made at Christmas time there. (they keep the number on file, I don't even click it in).
* Currently item is still "shipping soon", and I see that an auth has been run on my credit card, though I can't see the exact amount. (I see a total of all authorizations, so it's hard to see a potential $50 difference when combined with all my other purchases).

Of course, this had nothing to do with your shipping issue. I just wanted to vent!
Old 01-02-01, 11:28 AM

I have yet to receive my copies of Seven and the Virgin Suicides from Amazon. The order status has been "One on Hand" for weeks now. Every day that I check my order the delivery date moves further back. Right now the estimated delivery dates are January 5-January 10. This is for movies that came out weeks ago!!!

Should I email them, or call them to see what is up?
Old 01-02-01, 02:10 PM

Anyone have an idea how Amazon is going to handle the shipping for this Dogma SE DVD delay? I ordered other things besides the dvd in my order and chose for it to ship all at once. Are they going to ship the rest of the stuff now, or they going to delay their shipment to "indefinite" like with Dogma?
Old 01-02-01, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by rewap:
Anyone have an idea how Amazon is going to handle the shipping for this Dogma SE DVD delay? I ordered other things besides the dvd in my order and chose for it to ship all at once. Are they going to ship the rest of the stuff now, or they going to delay their shipment to "indefinite" like with Dogma?
<HR>

A similar thing happened to me on a different title, and they ended up shipping the remainder of the order seperately a few days after the slip was announced - without my even asking them to. It was a pretty obscure title, though, and probably had a pretty small impact on them.
Old 01-04-01, 09:18 PM

It's incredible how far downhill Amazon has gone. Someone shold hit them where it hurts and email a couple of these threads to the Wall Street analysts.

I used to be a big Amazon fan, but the prices are no longer competitive and the service sucks. So, why should I order from them?
Old 01-04-01, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What I find strange is that if you order a couple of titles, one of them saying that it usually ships in 2-3 days and the other 4-6 weeks, and subsequently a few days later, you see that on the website it shows both are 2-3 days. The same title on your order still says 4-6 weeks and you keep waiting for them to ship it to you for a few weeks with the same different shipping statuses showing up in both places. You then wonder if the distribution houses only get "alarms" when the longest delayed title *WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT* starts hitting its maximum delivery time and until then, even if they have it in stock, they don't do anything with it. Or then again, perhaps what's actually on their web site isn't reflecting reality in terms of availability.

I also find that it seems that my orders for different types of products have varying degrees of prompt shipping. Books and wireless products shipped *very* quickly, whereas I'm having bad experience currently with DVDs and software. My order for Fireworks 4 and Dreamweaver Ultradev 4 studio has been sitting around for ages with a status of "1 to be released: December 23, 2000". Same for a few other items.

------------------
- DVDealer

[This message has been edited by DVDealer (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-04-01, 11:55 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Metrodub:
I have yet to receive my copies of Seven and the Virgin Suicides from Amazon. The order status has been "One on Hand" for weeks now. Every day that I check my order the delivery date moves further back. Right now the estimated delivery dates are January 5-January 10. This is for movies that came out weeks ago!!!

Should I email them, or call them to see what is up?
<HR>

You should DEFINATELY email them. Explain your frustration with the delay, they will probably upgrade shipping to USPS priority mail. Works every time for me when they goof on items that are in stocks.

If all else fails, then call, I find them very helpful. But the email should do you fine, tell me how it goes.

Old 01-05-01, 01:26 PM

Well, I emailed them and received the usual automated response. Didn't receive anything else from them via email. I called yesterday and got through on the second ring! The CSR was really nice (a rareity from what i hear) and "Authorized the release" of the movies. She, of course, had no idea why there was a hold on the movies. Hopefully they went out today and I'll get them sometime next week. The website has yet to update the status and I haven't received an email saying they were shipped so we'll see.