Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Send Buy.com back to Purgatory!!!

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Send Buy.com back to Purgatory!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-00, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without getting into details, Buy.com screwed up again. The dvd is Reindeer Games. I've been waiting a week for it to ship. Talked to a CSR. He puts me on hold to "call the warehouse". Gets off the phone and says:

"I spoke to the warehouse and they assured me your dvd will ship tomorrow (Friday) or Monday."

I said: "You mentioned my specific order to them. They were talking about my order, right?"

CSR: "Yes. They were talking about your order."

Ah, the warehouse lies. No shipping Friday, and no shipping today. Already put the cancellation in. I've tried twice to get something from them and both times have failed.

I still have my 2 favorites to shop at: Express.com and 800.com, both are very reliable.

Well, that's my rant. Enjoy.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

"Pop's trippin', man. He wanted me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."
Old 08-15-00, 02:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i wonder when they ever left the purgatory... and when the CSR calls the warehouse, it really doesnt matter what he says... whatever the warehouse feels like doing is whats going to happen. ive heard all too many times from buy.com csr's that my order was going to be shipped the next day as they have spoked with the warehouse... its all bs.
Old 08-15-00, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, buy sucks, send them below purgatory, send them all the way down with cdnever and cduniverse and whatlovesgoats.

edit: don't know if I'm allowed to say whatbl*wsgoats. All of these vendors have orders that they never shipped to me, whatlovesgoats from november 99, cduniverse from october 99, which I managed to cancel, and cdnever fromjanuary 00. CDnever then accused me of fruad. What bs, but again, there I go, off topic.

[This message has been edited by Crazy Aoshi (edited August 14, 2000).]
Old 08-15-00, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My problem with the REINDEER GAME DVD they sent me was, the shrinkwrap was still on, BUT there was a razor cut at the bottom, and when you open it, NO DVD! The warehouse employee must have stolen it! And I keep calling them, and they dont believe a word I am saying. They keep promising me they will mail me a replacement, WHEN they get this no DVD version back. They promised me a return label, so far, no LABEL! THEY RIPPED ME OFF 16.99!!!!
Old 08-15-00, 11:03 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Agreed. Send these bastards back to purgatory. 42 days or so after street date to get the Orphic Trilogy Criterion set is ridiculous seeings how I'd ordered it 2 months prior to release. Then they keep telling me, "We're still looking" yet 2 months earlier they were happy to take my money knowing they would need at least 1 copy for me. Shady bastards!
Old 08-15-00, 12:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unfortunately they are about the only people out there still giving out coupons. I haven't seen anything from any of the other major stores recently (although I haven't looked at B&N yet and they seem to have a lot of coupons). I was trying to cut back on ordering from Buy (hate the "can't cancel" things theory) but to be honest as long as they still give out coupons I'll probably still buy from there
Old 08-15-00, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of having a choice of shopping at Buy.com and getting a dvd for under $10 with a coupon or going into a Suncoast or whatever and buying a dvd at full retail price, I'll go with Suncoast. At least I'd actually have the dvd and wouldn't get a line like, "I'm sorry sir, we're working on blah blah blah."

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

"Pop's trippin', man. He wanted me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."
Old 08-15-00, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Suncoast??? Why not Best Buy??? Suncoast charges way too much for dvds...unless you do not have a Best Buy near you!!! Also, with the cheap shipping at the former Ken Cranes(DVDPLANET) and the 30% off all dvds....give them a try!!! Alot of people on this forum used them for years when laserdisc was the happy medium and the service was always good!!! You can order 10 dvds at once and pay a flat fee of $2.50 for shipping!!!
Old 08-15-00, 03:13 PM

I LOVE BUY.COM

HOORAY FOR BUY!!!!!!

removed a ton of !!! which were messing up the thread

[This message has been edited by gkleinman (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old 08-15-00, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey djones, you missed my point. I am well aware of the cheaper B&M stores. I've bought more than half of my 150 dvds at Circuit City and Wal-Mart. I'm saying I'd pay full retail at a Suncoast than to shop at Buy.com, which is saying how much I don't want to go there.

Oddly enough, I check my status to see if my cancellation went through, and surprise, my dvd shipped. Funny thing is, my credit card was not charged. After complaining to 2 CSR's for 30 minutes last night, the stupid thing ships.

I hope I get mine intact, and unlike the other guy who got a dvdless dvd. Even if it gets here faster than any other order I've ever gotten in my entire life, I'm still never shopping there again. Toooooo risky.

------------------
REVIEW WORLD

Old 08-16-00, 12:07 AM
Hoc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would suspect that the impetus for shipping your DVD was not the conversations you had with the CSRs. Rather, it was your attempted cancellation of your order. Buy.com is notorious for shipping cancelled orders and charging you, stating that they could not cancel your order in time to stop shipment.
Old 01-02-01, 10:06 PM
Cool New Member

Dek:

I was wondering: Did you ever get the Orphic Trilogy from them? I just ordered it and American Film archives with the $30/$150 coupon. The page said ship 24-48 hrs, hehe.
Old 01-03-01, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate buy.com
Old 01-04-01, 02:09 AM

Actually all my purchases with buy.com have been great. With all the coupons I have used I can't complain . Though I do agree their service is slightly lacking but I dont have money to pay retail.
Old 01-04-01, 09:10 AM

I don't know what problems you all have had, but I've had probably around 150 orders from buy.com and have had virtually no problems from them. Once I got the wrong disc, once in 150 orders of around 250 or so discs. I've gotten some harder to find items and pretty much always get them quick. I'm amazed at there service and have even gotten some bonuses from them for virtually no reason.

------------------
Duffman says a lot of things
Old 01-04-01, 10:56 AM

Buy has definitely been lacking lately.

I'm still waiting on movies released on 12/12, 12/19 and now 1/2.

-Jason
Old 01-04-01, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Purgatory isn't exactly the word I had in mind to send them to. With buy.com you either love them or hate them, there is no in between. I've given up all hope of them ever offering me an apology but www.ugetheard.com is still trying on my behalf. Take a look at that website and read some of those horror stories, mine included. You may want to add a story yourself.
Old 01-04-01, 02:58 PM

I haven't shopped at buy.com in a while. But, I will always remember them as the place that I got my cheapest (legitimate) deal from. Heat for $1.99 (40% off 19.99 minus 10 off 10 coupon and a free shipping no minimum weekend). I have yet to beat that deal (not counting gift certificates, etc.) Oh those were the days!

Thanks for listening,

Jon
Old 01-04-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 675 Likes on 546 Posts
Never had a problem with buy. Usually the cheapest and one of the few with regular coupons. Plus with one exception, I have gotten my preorders before street date. They let you set up multiple accounts as well.
Old 01-04-01, 08:37 PM
Cool New Member

I just canceled an order from them. Their e-mail system sent me an automated reply to an e-mail I sent them. Not impressed.
Old 01-04-01, 09:06 PM

Buy has definitely got to work on their system -- without knowing how it works, it *seems* like they just send paper order slips over to this mysterious "warehouse" and then it is out of their control in some far away land. One of the CSRs recently told me that they were looking at fixing it up, which I think is sorely needed. As much as Amazon's service has *really* gone downhill, at least you can log on and find out exactly where you stand with them at any time.

But I did want to give props to Buy -- I recently preordered Timecode and another disc. The tracking and packing slip said they sent me both discs in the same box, and I was billed for both of them. Only the second disc was actually in the box. I was expecting *much* hassle to get it replaced, but did it merely by clicking online. The replacement went out next day. Can't *really* complain about that, although obviously they shouldn't have screwed up in the first place.