Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

What B&M's will exchange DVD's without a receipt?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

What B&M's will exchange DVD's without a receipt?

Old 12-24-00, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas time is here and I already know I will get several DVD's that I don't want,
what B&M's can I exchange them at without a receipt?

Old 12-25-00, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A search on this topic found two existing threads:

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/019929.html

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/005992.html

You might want to do the same thing next time as you may as a result find the answer sooner plus help clutter here in the forums.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.
Old 12-25-00, 12:19 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by cloud:
A search on this topic found two existing threads:

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/019929.html

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/005992.html

You might want to do the same thing next time as you may as a result find the answer sooner plus help clutter here in the forums.

<HR>

Thanks, I honestly did not think to search for this subject because I did not think anything existed.
Although I read the two threads you posted I still
do not have a clear answer , I will search
some more myself.
Old 12-25-00, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Tower Records will exchange without a receipt, although they'll give you the SALE price in exchange. For example, Clerks retails for $39.99 but when it's on sale, it sells for $31.99. So you'll get $31.99 in exchange. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a cashier that doesn't care and will give you all $39.99 in exchange.

The Wherehouse (music/video/more) will do it, but try not to abuse this. They catch on after a while (they stopped exchanging stuff for me after around 15 DVDs)

Fry's Electronics will, but make sure you call ahead and check with a manager. I've had problems with them.

Target has a new policy that won't allow you to exchange w/o receipt.

Those are the only places I try. Good luck.

------------------
The weather is here, wish you were beautiful!
Old 12-25-00, 10:07 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute:
Tower Records will exchange without a receipt, although they'll give you the SALE price in exchange. For example, Clerks retails for $39.99 but when it's on sale, it sells for $31.99. So you'll get $31.99 in exchange. Sometimes you'll get lucky and get a cashier that doesn't care and will give you all $39.99 in exchange.

The Wherehouse (music/video/more) will do it, but try not to abuse this. They catch on after a while (they stopped exchanging stuff for me after around 15 DVDs)

Fry's Electronics will, but make sure you call ahead and check with a manager. I've had problems with them.

Target has a new policy that won't allow you to exchange w/o receipt.

Those are the only places I try. Good luck.

<HR>

I have heard about Target's new policy,
it seems many B&M's are starting to tighten
up ship. Wal-Mart has always seemed the most lax in the return/exchange dept. but I am
guessing that in the not so distant future
they too will tighen thing up.
Guess I'll have to resort to bringing a loaded pistol with me next time I want to exchange a DVD.

Old 12-26-00, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shopko and walmart both are good.
Old 12-30-00, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I returned 7 DVDs for store credit at Best Buy today. I tried returning The Hidden as well, but it wasn't in their computers, so lesson learned: make sure they carry the DVD that you intend on returning.

The DVDs I returned were titles I bought because they were cheap at the time (when the deals more abundant), and I got 2 DVDs (Princess Mononoke and Predator dts) and $84 in Best Buy credit, which I'll use on new releases in 2001. I'm pretty sure I'm still getting the better end of the deal (returned EWS, Deep Blue Sea, Road Warrior, Bone Collector, Men In Black, Anaylze This, and U-571). I actually got more in credit from the DVDs I bought at the Best Buy online sale at Thanksgiving.

All I needed to do was show them a driver's license. I'm wondering how long this will last, or how many times you can exchange stuff without a receipt before your driver license number gets flagged by the Best Buy computer system.

I was able to swap the DVDs at the Best Buy in Gwinnett county, outside of Atlanta on Pleasant Hill Rd and I-85.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs

[This message has been edited by Patman (edited December 30, 2000).]
Old 12-31-00, 04:52 PM

Last year, I ended up with two copies of Something About Mary due to Bigstar shipping the wrong title.

Anyway, I never got around to trying to exchange it. I took it to Walmart this morning and exchanged it for the two disc set of Seven. They gave me no hassle at all.
Old 01-01-01, 03:33 PM
Cool New Member

Wal-Mart and Best Buy WILL stop you from doing this after a couple of no-receipt returns. I've heard of people who are told "not to return again for another year." Do the computers only track it for a year? I don't know. I do know it's on a store-by-store basis, so you can always try a different branch.

Suncoast, Coconuts, and Saturday Matinee will also take returns.
Old 01-02-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a copy of "The Devil's Advocate" that I'm looking to return... I forgot I got 2 copies last year and it's been sitting in my desk ever since.

Anyone know if BestBuy still carries it? If not, perhaps I'll go to Suncoast at the local Mall...
Old 01-02-01, 04:43 PM

I've heard you are only allowed three non-receipt returns at Wal-mart a year. Or, maybe its every six months, I can't remember. I can find out though.
Old 01-02-01, 04:55 PM

Here's a variation on the question. I got a duplicate copy of the Frank Sinatra Capital Years 3 CD set. Which store will I get the most credit for to buy DVDs? Tower, Wherehouse, Best Buy?
Old 01-02-01, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just took one to Suncoast and they gave me a gift card for it (since there wasn't anything I wanted off hand). As long as the DVD is sealed and the place carries it normally I can't imagine why they would give you a hassle. Unless you turn it into a regular thing...
Old 01-02-01, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

After I returned $279 worth of dvd's, ps2 games, and a voodoo 3 agp card the cashier kept saying "what's flash 2?" Then she asked me if I had returned something w/o a receipt before. I said yes, a dvd several months back. She said oh, so flash 2 means that this is the second time you've returned w/o receipt and you only get three. I said "ever?" she said..."good question, might be per year." Bottom line is don't waste one of your 3 free returns on cheap items. Save up a bunch of stuff to return all at once. If your 3 are up you can always have your sister/girlfriend/etc. return your stuff for you. I now have $880 in store credit at Best Buy! Just need to figure out what to buy.
Old 01-02-01, 07:46 PM
Banned

guess your BestBuy must be staffed with a bunch of suckers, broadwayblue!!!